Home General Discussion

? For Former Cigarette Smokers

I just started smoking cigars with any regularity this past summer. I was a cigarette smoker for quite a while, and finally won the hard battle to quit two years ago. Now, the possibility that I'm either just "replacing my nic fix", or that I will start the easy slide back to smoking has been weighing on me. I purposely cut down on the number of cigars I smoke - often forcing myself to wait three or four days between them, especially if I'm really wanting one, just to "prove" that I can, and that I'm not getting a dependence.

In my early quitting attempts, I tried to switch to cigars as a way to wean (really it was just a way to half-assedly quit where I could keep getting my fix, but feel somehow better about it). Former cigarette smokers might understand my relapse worry. I was wondering if anyone else has dealt with this.

Comments

• I quit smoking after a 38 year stint, and took back up cigars right away. I have no desire to go back to cigarettes at all, it's been eight months. I won't ever go back. You need time to smoke a cigar so you naturally won't smoke as much. The nicotine amount in cigars are a lot less than in cigarettes. I don't know if this helped or If I answered your question.
  • I guess the question doesn't necessarily have an answer. I was more just wondering if any other quit smokers had these concerns, or if I'm being my usual, overly neurotic self.
  • dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    I stopped smoking cigs about 3 months ago after a 10 year bout. Cigars made this transition a piece of cake and really improved the over all "smoking" experiance. For me it was a oral and physical fixation. The act of smoking is what i was attached too and cigar smoking was a perfect swap. I can feel the difference in my lungs and the time it takes to enjoy a cigar made me slow down more and got me passed the quick "fix" a cig provided which made me feel like a junky "needing" something. Smoking cigars also developed my palate alot and now cigs i once loved now taste like complete garbage... That alone will prevent my desire to return to the habit. I dont miss it at the least and the change has actually gotten my wife interested in cigars as she is a heavy cig smoker as well. So i think your wonder is a great question myself
  • cbuckcbuck Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I quit 5 years ago, after 42 years. I picked up cigars about 2 years ago. Never had any desire to go back, even though the wife still has cigs. I am enjoying the culture of cigar smoking. The history of the industry etc. intrigue me.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    gatetwelve:
    I just started smoking cigars with any regularity this past summer. I was a cigarette smoker for quite a while, and finally won the hard battle to quit two years ago. Now, the possibility that I'm either just "replacing my nic fix", or that I will start the easy slide back to smoking has been weighing on me. I purposely cut down on the number of cigars I smoke - often forcing myself to wait three or four days between them, especially if I'm really wanting one, just to "prove" that I can, and that I'm not getting a dependence.

In my early quitting attempts, I tried to switch to cigars as a way to wean (really it was just a way to half-assedly quit where I could keep getting my fix, but feel somehow better about it). Former cigarette smokers might understand my relapse worry. I was wondering if anyone else has dealt with this.
    I think you did it right. For me, although I used to smoke some cigars while I was a cigarette smoker, it was necessary to fully quit the cigarettes for awhile before I could fully enjoy the cigars. Sure makes a difference in your health, doesn't it? No more wheezing and coughing up brown crap, and no matter how intense it gets at work, I never get that overwhelming ohmygodifIdontgettogooutandsmokeI'mgoingtokillsomebody kind of feeling anymore. I'm satisfied that after I'm home, I can put my feet up and have a cigar. or pipe. Depends on the wallet.

So, don't sweat it, enjoy, and if you get the urge for a cigarette, just think how nasty they are.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't had a cig in 8 mo's now after smoking them for about 25 yrs. My interest in cigars started about a Year and a half ago, I gave up the cigs so that I could get more taste out of my stogies. I do have one of the vaporizers though, and yes I do have a random thought about them once in a while, not a desire just a thought.
    I smoke one cigar a day during the week aand sometimes two on the weekends
  • KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    gatetwelve:

First off, congrats. Anything you can do to keep from smoking cigarettes is the way to go (in other words; whatever works for you). Don't worry about the "slide back to smoking cigarettes". The more you think about it, the more likely it is to happen. Enjoy your cigars (occasionally). Take each cigarette craving one by one and be strong. You can do it. Just keep it up. Good luck.
  • I don't get cigarette cravings anymore, I just know and accept that I have the self-control of a 5 year old and don't even want to chance getting a nicotine dependence again. I don't want to be addicted to cigars any more than I wanted to be addicted to cigarettes. That's why when I'm really craving a cigar I force myself to wait a day or two to make sure I'm craving the taste, experience, and relaxation, rather than the nicotine.

Amos, the changes are really eye opening after you quit...makes you wonder why you put up with it so long. The constant hacking and throat clearing is gone. I go through entire movies and restaurant meals without excusing myself to "get some air". And the mere idea of plane travel doesn't give me cold sweats. I really don't miss cigarettes at all.
  • I quit back in January. Ive always been open to a cigar now and then when offered. A few months back a friend got me really into them and so far have not found it to be a problem. I'll smoke one every couple of days and im good.