Home General Discussion
Options

Need info on opus!

This weekend I'll be smoking my first opus and would like some good suggestions on a beverage to pair it with. Preferably non alcaholic. I don want to miss out of the flavor so I'm looking for ideas that won't ruin the flavor of this cigar! Anyb help would be greatly appreciated !

Comments

• Options
    KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    Water
  • Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    KCW:
    Water
    +6, have a full stomach as well
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    I really haven't smoked enough of them to tell yea. Honestly I don't think they are all that great. But everyone has their taste. I would suggest a root beer with almost any cigar though. The vanilla in the root beer brings out the subtle flavors of the cigar...to me anyways.
  • Options
    allsmokedupallsmokedup Posts: 751 ✭✭
    I wouldn't smoke anything that expensive and drink anything that might obscure the flavour from the cigar. Either water, or something very light in flavour.
  • Options
    Glock1975Glock1975 Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jasonc1982:
    I really haven't smoked enough of them to tell yea. Honestly I don't think they are all that great. But everyone has their taste. I would suggest a root beer with almost any cigar though. The vanilla in the root beer brings out the subtle flavors of the cigar...to me anyways.
    Yes everyone has there own faves and taste, go with just plan water or some light scotch. And by the way, they are great.
  • Options
    kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    It's funny cause I've now smoked six or seven OPUS X's and I still remember before smoking my first , reading posts and reviews and being like "what the hell am I getting myself into" . Everyone talked about the strength and to make sure that I smoked it on a full stomach and not to smoke to fast as I don't want to end up yacking ...... All the OPUS that I've smoked have been always consistent and never in my book over powering like a cuavana punisher is. OPUS has been a cigar that I've always enjoyed and one of the more peppery spicy sticks on my lips and mouth as opposed to in my gut. I think that's why I love them so much that I have not had that with other sticks or anything that's close to it. OPUS is an experience and I'd say to make sure that you have eaten and pair it with what you enjoy drinking while you smoke ....... Some like a nice single malt , others like water, or a nice carbonated beverage like root beer or Dr. pepper, I myself have a new found love for pairing with a flavored seltzer water , sometimes with a nice dose of vodka or just alone. None the less I hope you enjoy you're first OPUS.
  • Options
    Glock1975Glock1975 Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kingjk729:
    It's funny cause I've now smoked six or seven OPUS X's and I still remember before smoking my first , reading posts and reviews and being like "what the hell am I getting myself into" . Everyone talked about the strength and to make sure that I smoked it on a full stomach and not to smoke to fast as I don't want to end up yacking ...... All the OPUS that I've smoked have been always consistent and never in my book over powering like a cuavana punisher is. OPUS has been a cigar that I've always enjoyed and one of the more peppery spicy sticks on my lips and mouth as opposed to in my gut. I think that's why I love them so much that I have not had that with other sticks or anything that's close to it. OPUS is an experience and I'd say to make sure that you have eaten and pair it with what you enjoy drinking while you smoke ....... Some like a nice single malt , others like water, or a nice carbonated beverage like root beer or Dr. pepper, I myself have a new found love for pairing with a flavored seltzer water , sometimes with a nice dose of vodka or just alone. None the less I hope you enjoy you're first OPUS.
    Very well said.
  • Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    Stop over-thinking it. At the end of the day, it is just another cigar. There is a ton of mystique surrounding it, but really it is just another fine cigar. It is on the strong side, but if you go into it knowing that and don't have an empty stomach, then you'll be fine. As far as a drink, if you want to try and pick out the subtle nuances of the cigar, then water is the best choice. If you want to complement it and have a more total experience, go with your favorite scotch/bourbon. Again, don't over-analyze the moment and just enjoy yourself. This really goes for every evening with a cigar.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally I've never liked water with a stogie. I love a Mountain Dew with just about any cigar. And lately I've been pairing them up with a Syarbucks mocha frapachino with just a touch more of Hershey's syrup added. Or hot chi tea.