Home General Discussion

Cigars need another category which is not reported or mentioned by ANYONE!

rad1964rad1964 Posts: 190 ✭✭
Hello fellow C.com'rs,
So, the short of it: Cigars need another category which is not reported or mentioned by ANYONE!

When I suggest this, it is because last night I graduated my palette by finally trying one of my Arturo Fuente OpusX.

Now being a semi-noob in the cigar world, I wanted to start off my cigar education with a few flavored, a few lighter, a few stronger and a few highly rated.
I started with a flavored, next a strong one, a lighter one, etc. Until I had a basic sense of cigar tastes. (This was after, say, 15 cigars)

So now this is when I tried my Graycliff Double Espresso. Now a few other cigars passed by my palette, a 5 Vegas Miami, another Veradero, and a 601 Blue Lable. I had just received my new Cuban Crafters Cigar Scissors and I thought it was the perfect time to try this very expensive cigar. I told myself, you better not like this one...

Ok, on to why cigars need a new description category
After the first third of the OpusX, I noticed that I was very high, as my body buzzed, my head swam. There is a distinct "high" that accompanies the cigar. I noticed that in general, tobacco, in any form from Cigars to chew to cigarettes, which I smoked for 8 months in 8th grade and quit after I learned to blow smoke rings, there has always been that 'high' that accompanies tobacco.

So I put the OpusX down got a drink of water had a sip of this very nice Argentine red wine and went back to the OpusX, as I did not want to have to relight it.

I have never been so high from a tobacco product before. Very strong mojo! And it's only after this experience that I can look back and better evaluate my past cigars by adding in this criteria of how high was the tobacco buzz?.

I realize, while writing this perhaps 'why' the cigar press release wouldn't mention this, but what do you all think? I also realize that not all of you will have experiences with smoking different grades of marijuana which also always include the 'how high does it get you' criteria.

Comments

• alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    The strength of the cigar is generally referred to as body. Generally speaking, the fuller the body, the more you feel it.
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    And it's very subjective. The same cigar may affect you much more on an empty stomach.
  • rad1964rad1964 Posts: 190 ✭✭
    So by 'body' do you mean like in the cigar.com ratings, they are classed as mild, medium or strong, is that the body? I always thought that was the taste, lol.
  • kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    Call me Sally or Jenny or any womans name but i go as far a medium to medium full since i get the hardcore buzz from a very strong/full/robust bodied cigar .......... there are several mild to medium gars that suit me just fine and still expand my pallet.
  • Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Flavor is what you taste and body is what you feel. The two get confused very often. Mild, medium and full are are used to describe both. Flavor is what counts the most. You can have a full bodied cigar with a mild flavor and that is not a good thing. Generally, every cigar maker wants full flavor regaurdless of the body. THere are several mild bodied cigars that have a full flavor. Verdadero is one as is the Perdomo Lot 23 Conecticut etc.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I unfortunately never really get that "Buzz" from cigars...

I've totally felt it from smoking cigarettes back in the day and I never smoked cigarettes that often so every cigarette would give me that buzz...
    I just never really had that "BUZZ" from a cigar
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    I MAJORLY had that 'buzz' today from a Camacho.. Like super head spin and disorientation. Buuuut, I was also on a basically empty stomach at 6pm from eating nothing all day.. First time and last time I've made that mistake.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    Hays:
    I MAJORLY had that 'buzz' today from a Camacho.. Like super head spin and disorientation. Buuuut, I was also on a basically empty stomach at 6pm from eating nothing all day.. First time and last time I've made that mistake.
    I had this sensation a week or so ago from and OpusX...same thing. I had it on an empty stomach...it definitely wasn't a pleasant buzz.
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Hays:
    LOL and now, after looking up what I had smoked here on C.com to find that the Camacho Corojo was "one of the strongest cigars in the world" (C.com quote), I think I've also learned my lesson not to just grab from the shelf at the b&m at random w/o knowing what I'm looking at..
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    Yeah, it helps to do a little research. Talking to your ccom rep can also get you some good recommendations.
  • rad1964rad1964 Posts: 190 ✭✭
    I just found this cool poster related to this topic: image
  • Renaissance_ManRenaissance_Man Posts: 973 ✭✭
    Its funny. I wonder if we will benefit from having the nicotine content listed for cigars? Its quite impossible though because it will vary as well! The same cigar can have a different body experience each year depending on the tobacco blended... But in any case what I think you are referring to is the nicotine content that they list on cigarettes. Cause it is the nicotine that gets you high - so the higher the number the more high it gets you! It would be cool of we had such numbers for cigars too - it would give us a much better idea of the body than the "just three" categories we have now... :(...
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Alex Svenson:
    Flavor is what you taste and body is what you feel. The two get confused very often. Mild, medium and full are are used to describe both. Flavor is what counts the most. You can have a full bodied cigar with a mild flavor and that is not a good thing. Generally, every cigar maker wants full flavor regaurdless of the body. THere are several mild bodied cigars that have a full flavor. Verdadero is one as is the Perdomo Lot 23 Conecticut etc.
    this is just about word of word what i was going to say. i may have used different cigars...
    oh....

OpusX is one of the strongest on the market right now. Fresh ones are even stronger. i like to get some age on them. the subtle complexities tend to come out more then.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, but don't you have to inhale in order for the nicotine to affect you? I've smoked all kinds of cigars from mild to extra-full and I've never experienced this "buzz" everyone's talking about. But then, I don't inhale, either.

Marty

jlmarta:
    Yeah, but don't you have to inhale in order for the nicotine to affect you? I've smoked all kinds of cigars from mild to extra-full and I've never experienced this "buzz" everyone's talking about. But then, I don't inhale, either.

Marty

No. Nicotine gets into your system in many ways. It has a pretty convenient highway through the blood vessels in your mouth. One huge distinction between cigars and cigarettes when it comes to absorption of nicotine - with cigarettes it is much quicker because of the inhaling vs. going through the blood stream. With cigarettes it can take a measly 16 seconds for the nicotine to reach the brain... Anyway... No - you are not "safe" from the nicotine if you do not inhale...
    jlmarta:

Marty

marty...

go out and buy one of these:
    Opus X ****
    El Cobre
    Camacho Diploma
    La Flor Dominicana Double Ligero Maduro Chisel.

proceed to smoke one of them two hours after you last ate.

you will see....
  • kuzi16:
    jlmarta:

Marty

marty...

Opus X ****
    El Cobre
    Camacho Diploma

you will see....
    where can one buy an EL cobre?
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    mustluvcigars:
    kuzi16:
    jlmarta:

Marty

marty...

Opus X ****
    El Cobre
    Camacho Diploma

you will see....
    where can one buy an EL cobre?
    Good Luck.
    kuzi16:

you will see....
    Or better just smoke it any time... Who cares if you eat... Do it when you wake up with your coffee.... ;)
  • MarkHMarkH Posts: 120 ✭✭
    Rad, your right about the nicotine buzz. Me being new to cigars I have a buzz just about every smoke. On the other hand I had a Hoyo Excalibur 1066 on Saturday without much effect. Everyone metabolizes nicotine at different rates so I guess I'm a light weight lol.