Home Cigar 101

Where to start.... Help appreciated.

First off I'm a very new person to this site but it is giving me a lot of great information and I'm appreciative. I'm 45 and only had first tried my first cigar a few weeks ago. I've always loved the smell of a good cigar.

What I would like to do is get some opinion on one what I start with mild or full-bodied since I know nothing,. And what should I start with in terms of brand and name. Without it costing me a fortune. So I figure something in the $8-$12 per cigar side.

Thanks in advance as I look forward to reading opinion and reasons of what I should start with

Comments

• Glock1975Glock1975 Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jeffpodraza:
    First off I'm a very new person to this site but it is giving me a lot of great information and I'm appreciative. I'm 45 and only had first tried my first cigar a few weeks ago. I've always loved the smell of a good cigar. What I would like to do is get some opinion on one what I start with mild or full-bodied since I know nothing,. And what should I start with in terms of brand and name. Without it costing me a fortune. So I figure something in the $8-$12 per cigar side. Thanks in advance as I look forward to reading opinion and reasons of what I should start with
    Hello, and welcome aboard bro, try buying some samplers 1st before any boxes, if u r in the 8-12 range there are some great cigars in that price range. Look at My Father line I'm sure u will find out something in there u enjoy.
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $8-12 is mid to pushing high as far as price. Unless you're like me andlive in California then that's about avg price for an avg cigar. I knew a guy named Jeff who lived up in Nor Cal. Santa Clara. Anyways, at that price, maybe some Avo for mild, the reg Padron line for med. and the My Father for Full.
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Glad to see that maybe I'm thinking that I will be on the high-end I just wanted to make sure people realize that I wasn't looking for a two dollar cigar, just something I would enjoy and not get turned off from being I'm just getting started.

I think I know the Jeff you're talking about in Santa Clara just kidding, seriously appreciate the advice.
  • jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    danielzreyes:
    $8-12 is mid to pushing high as far as price. Unless you're like me andlive in California then that's about avg price for an avg cigar. I knew a guy named Jeff who lived up in Nor Cal. Santa Clara. Anyways, at that price, maybe some Avo for mild, the reg Padron line for med. and the My Father for Full.
    Jeff dorias dude. He be in san mateo. Geesh these socal people
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First off, welcome to the forums. I would recommend any range of strength as long as you've eaten a meal beforehand. Usually the only time that a strong cigar has bothered me was when I hadn't eaten a meal beforehand. One recommendation I have for you is the AVO Classic. It's a fine cigar but you can get it for a bargain on the SPRINT SALE that is also run on this website. It comes up for sale quite often on the reverse auction format. They usually sell ten packs of robustos and you can get them for around $40. Plus all sprint sales have free shipping built into the deal. The AVO classic is a medium but with a nice flavor. Plus you'll be learning about pricing for a wide range of cigars while you're looking.
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum Jeff. If you think you might like slightly stronger cigars, check out some LFDs. Also, if you get the chance, DO NOT hang out with Jiunn. That would be a horrible, horrible mistake. :)
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum, there are some really great people here with ton's of good info.
    If you are okay with med to full the Top Rated Baker's Dozen has a good variety of different flavor profiles, once you find out what you like you can try stuff that is similar. Enjoy!
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome. You have a ton of options in the $8 - $12 range. I would say lower your price range and try a broader range of cigars until you find your niche. You could try Padron or Oliva. Try some different wrapper types until you get a feel for what you like
    Jeff I'm driving to Santa Clara right now. Lets get some some smoke eaters and phils coffee afterwards. After all that we will dump in a bag for michigan. Tony is my halloween pumpkin
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    jliu:
    Jeff I'm driving to Santa Clara right now. Lets get some some smoke eaters and phils coffee afterwards. After all that we will dump in a bag for michigan. Tony is my halloween pumpkin
    I want to go too but will send Tony some love......Jeff, welcome bro I suggest for mild looking at Perdomo Champange.....

BTW Jiunn, I'm up there Dec 2- 6 for training...
    james40:
    jliu:
    I want to go too but will send Tony some love......Jeff, welcome bro I suggest for mild looking at Perdomo Champange.....

BTW Jiunn, I'm up there Dec 2- 6 for training...
    Lets meet up then for a cigar or two. I'll bring some whiskayyy too. Bring that one coworker dude that's all into cigars too. I'll deband a nica libre and tell him it's a padron. just kidding.
  • KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    1) Set up a cooler now.........................you'll thank me later
    2) As mentioned, don't buy boxes of anything..........for a year at least.......what you like now will change

Beads............beads...........beads

I'd start with a San Cristobal Robusto
    Your welcome
  • You guys rock I know I have more than enough suggestions to get me through many many months based on what I feel my needs are going to be.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    jeffpodraza:
    You guys rock I know I have more than enough suggestions to get me through many many months based on what I feel my needs are going to be.
    If you want to meet up with Jiunn and I in December, I will bring some for you to try.
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    james40:
    jeffpodraza:
    You guys rock I know I have more than enough suggestions to get me through many many months based on what I feel my needs are going to be.
    If you want to meet up with Jiunn and I in December, I will bring some for you to try.
    Hey Jeff, if I were you, I would definitely try to hook up with these guys. A couple of local legends (in their own mind). Lol, really though, a herf with these two would be pretty awesome.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    The best thing to do is to grab a few samplers and try a variety of different cigars. As far as price range, if you find a couple you really dig, you can get really good sticks for around the $4-6 range by watching the daily deals and emailing the sales reps directly. My favorite cigars in the $8-12 a stick range are the Illusione 888/f9/mj12, Tatuaje Reseva J21 (or any Tatuaje Reserva really), Arturo Fuente Don Carlos, and Ashton VSG.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Always remember price doesn't always mean quality. But like most have stated already, when starting out check out the samplers. ccom has some great everyday priced samplers as well as higher end samplers at great prices. Lots of people say start off mild. But I lean towards starting off on mediums myself. Most are in the medium side of mild IMO .
  • EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like others I recommend that you get a decent sampler. Might consider a brand sampler that has a range of cigars from mild to full bodied so that you can get a sense of what strength you like. Then try a bunch of different cigars in that strength. Bottom line, experiment and know that taste is subjective so read reviews, certainly, but don't disregard a cigar for one bad review and most certainly don't disregard a smoke just because it is inexpensive.
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."