Home General Discussion

CA Smokers Please Advise.....

I went to a local shop here in town to pick up a few sticks, and he did not have many that were on my list from CCOM. The one's he did have were twice as expensive, but that's another story.

I mentioned CCOM a few times while I was in the store, and the owner finally got around to asking my why I purchased online. I told him it was much cheaper and there was a wider selection. Now he tells me that in CA, people who buy from 'mail order' will be receiving a bill from the State for taxes due on all cigar purchases. He said the taxes can go as far back as 1998 !! I'm quite new to cigars so I can't tell if he's blowin' smoke up my @$$, or if this is for real. I have done some checking since I got back home, and I don't find mention of any CA only cigar tax. Is he just trying to scare me away from online purchases and buy from his shop, or is this true ?

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Well technically you are required to report all out-of-state purchases and pay the applicable sales tax on them. I don't know that the state could necessarily track that and bill you for it though. I've been buying stuff on the internet from different states for years to avoid paying sales tax on it, I haven't gotten a bill yet. I think this guy is full of ****, and I wouldn't take what he says to heart.
  • MAJORdorMoMAJORdorMo Posts: 356
    I'm with j0z3r. This guy just wants you to stop ordering from CCOM and buy from him. The state has better things to do than to track all your purchases.
    Of course, with the news constantly telling us how far California is in debt, it doesn't seem THAT far off....
  • andrewhandrewh Posts: 97
    He's blowing smoke, go kick him in the balls.
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Definitely full of crap... as another response said - people in CA buy stuff from the net all the time, and I certainly haven't gotten any outstanding tax bills. The price differences you're noticing, however, are not uncommon. A) It's a B&M - they have overhead that online organizations don't... this is precisely why you find cheaper prices online. B) California has pretty harsh taxes on everything smoking. C) We live in California buddy! Everything is more expensive here! lol
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    Joe and Hayes both hit the nail on the head. It's a whole lot more expensive here in Ca than anywhere else and since you mentioned the site a few times while you were in the store, it might have been to shut you up about finding a better deal somewhere else. Not to be rude, but you did go into his store and started talking about his competition in front of his customers.
  • I have found that B&Ms and cigar sales reps loathe the very existance of online cigar retailers, but it is thier business to get you to buy cigars from them, when they cant win the price point, they seem to attack or try to point out the big major flaws of buying online in order you to get you to buy from them.
    Technically your suppossed to report your out-of-state purchases over a certain amount and in some states all online purchases, I did once hear of a couple that got a bill from the state for some furniture purchases across state line, but it was because the truck hauling it got stopped at a wiegh station and they saw the invoice. but this case, like the others said I dont see them tracking online purchases at least not yet,
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Garen B:
    Joe and Hayes both hit the nail on the head. It's a whole lot more expensive here in Ca than anywhere else and since you mentioned the site a few times while you were in the store, it might have been to shut you up about finding a better deal somewhere else. Not to be rude, but you did go into his store and started talking about his competition in front of his customers.
    I thought about this too... I think it's just a case of My ****'s bigger than your ****... The owner was just protecting his nuts from other squirrels!
  • JdoraisJdorais Posts: 652
    Garen B:
    ding ding ding.... we have a winner. Winner winner chicken dinner!
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    MAJORdorMo:
    I'm with j0z3r. This guy just wants you to stop ordering from CCOM and buy from him. The state has better things to do than to track all your purchases. Of course, with the news constantly telling us how far California is in debt, it doesn't seem THAT far off....
    To be honest, I can see them doing this soon. The government is after as much money as they can get their hands on. Think about it. How much money would they get out of people who purchased stuff online. Myself, I would be screwed. I've ordered so many cigars online that I probably owe thousands in taxes. Not to mention everything else I ever bought.
  • ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
    where's cigar afficianado Arnold when you need him?!?
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ironhorse:
    where's cigar afficianado Arnold when you need him?!?

He's still tryin' to learn how to pronounce "California"......

It seems "Da Ahhnold", in spite of all his high sounding claims, hasn't done diddly for "Cullyfawnia".

Marty

• Garen B:

I was the only customer in the store. I went in with a list of sticks to buy, and after he didn't have any of the first 5, he asked where I had seen these cigars. Then, and only then, did I tell him where I saw them. He proceeded to ask me why I buy online, so I told him the truth.

He said he had 'several' customers who have been receiving bills from the State, because online retailers are required to report cigar sales to CA. I didn't get a good feeling in the shop, and won't buy from him again. Luckily there are several cigar shops in town.
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Montano:
    Garen B:

I was the only customer in the store. I went in with a list of sticks to buy, and after he didn't have any of the first 5, he asked where I had seen these cigars. Then, and only then, did I tell him where I saw them. He proceeded to ask me why I buy online, so I told him the truth.

He said he had 'several' customers who have been receiving bills from the State, because online retailers are required to report cigar sales to CA. I didn't get a good feeling in the shop, and won't buy from him again. Luckily there are several cigar shops in town.
    Sounds like you were being pretty legit and fair with him, so no foul there as far as I see. It's fortunate that you have other b&ms to choose from - the one I like is an awesome, chill place to hang with excellent customer service. Another, smaller shop in the area, though, has been horrible - the staff have been a-holes each time I've gone in and tried to ask questions... in other words, I don't bother going there anymore. And THAT is the foundation of a free market.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨