Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Rye Whiskey

MVW67MVW67 Posts: 5,591 ✭✭✭✭
How in the h e l l can people drink that.... I can do Vodka, Gin, Rum, Tequila, learning Scotch. But I can't do the RYE!!!
Life is too short, live it like no tomorrow...

Comments

• Options
    Tyland64Tyland64 Posts: 712
    I grew up in the family bar business and when we were kids my Dad use to give us a tea spoon to a table spoon of Rye for anything from a upset stomach to a head cold. That stuff will kill you. I was in a Scotch club for about three years and we would sample 5 - 7 bottles a month and every now and then I get one that reminded me of Rye and my taste was shot the rest of the night. pm me if you would like a few Scotch suggestions.
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll take Rye Whiskey before most of those any day.....that's why there's so many types of booze to choose from!
    Some thing for everybody!

What types of rye's have you had?
    You do other types of whiskeys (aside from scotch)?

I always have rum on hand because I love me some mojitos, vodka's drinkable if that's all there is, haven't got too far into scotch, haven't touched tequila since college, and gin reminds me too much of Pine-sol cleaner. LOL

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 239
    I drink Rye neat, I absolutely love it. I'm really digging the small batch Rye that the folks who make Bullet Bourbon make.
  • Options
    pelirrojopelirrojo Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    I typically only drink scotch, occasionally irish, and I cannot stand bourbon. However, the proprietor of my local high end spirit shop poured me short glass of some High West Rendezvous to give rye a try and I thought it was very good. I may have to look into some other ryes. That one certainly peaked my interest.
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Saw an intriguing rye on sale at the store yesterday and almost picked it up on a whim, but just stuck with the wine for the wife instead...I've never had the rye, but it intrigues me.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bottle of it on the work bench right now. Bourbon is sweet. Scotch is smoky. Rye is spicy. Goes real well with those wonderful bargains, the Fonseca Aranas. Tastes like that wrapper right there. A zing. Super good for making whiskey sours, cause the rye flavor stands out in a mix.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    The Rye I have is Sazerac 18.....
  • Options
    jgibv:
    I'll take Rye Whiskey before most of those any day.....that's why there's so many types of booze to choose from!
    Some thing for everybody!

What types of rye's have you had?
    You do other types of whiskeys (aside from scotch)?

I always have rum on hand because I love me some mojitos, vodka's drinkable if that's all there is, haven't got too far into scotch, haven't touched tequila since college, and gin reminds me too much of Pine-sol cleaner. LOL
    Sazerac 18
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    love rye! though I'm sure some suck. Just like everything
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    webmost:
    Bottle of it on the work bench right now. Bourbon is sweet. Scotch is smoky. Rye is spicy. Goes real well with those wonderful bargains, the Fonseca Aranas. Tastes like that wrapper right there. A zing. Super good for making whiskey sours, cause the rye flavor stands out in a mix.

+1 - I like all whiskey. All have their own uses. Scotch is my favorite because of the subtleties of the single malts, I like to mix drinks with rye because of the spiciness and dryness . Sourmash is good for getting stupid with the guys, and bourbon is for women. JK
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Jack Daniel's unaged rye is really good. I bought a case, put three bottles in an aging barrel for a couple months and kept the rest unaged. Both good, both very different!
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm thinking 40 years since last I tried the Rye. Love Scotch, genetic I suppose, as about 90%of my genetic background is Highland Scot, the rest is Irish coast and a smidgin of Cherokee. Bourbon, as said above, is sweet, to me, and I like many Rums and a few Brandy's.

There are one or two brands of tequila I can take in very small amounts, and anything clear, I stay away from. Especially gin. I've gotten drunk on Gin twice in the last 40 years, very little memory of either occasion, but I did lose some friends.

Gin will make you sin!
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    MVW67:
    Sazerac 18
    Haven't had Sazerac .... there's a local distillery that makes a killer rye. Could sip on it all day.
    webmost:
    Rye is spicy. Goes real well with those wonderful bargains, the Fonseca Aranas. Tastes like that wrapper right there. A zing. Super good for making whiskey sours, cause the rye flavor stands out in a mix.
    Agree with this --- well said, Davis.
    beatnic:
    and bourbon is for women. JK
    HEYYY!!!!! lol

Also, gotta post this
    Jim Tom's Rye Whiskey song -- start at 1:08

• Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    I spent a night in a hotel fascinated by this show and Amish Mafia (how bad is this sort of reality TV, really?). Loved Jim Tom.
    jgibv:
    MVW67:
    Sazerac 18
    Haven't had Sazerac .... there's a local distillery that makes a killer rye. Could sip on it all day.
    webmost:
    Rye is spicy. Goes real well with those wonderful bargains, the Fonseca Aranas. Tastes like that wrapper right there. A zing. Super good for making whiskey sours, cause the rye flavor stands out in a mix.
    Agree with this --- well said, Davis.
    beatnic:
    and bourbon is for women. JK
    HEYYY!!!!! lol

Also, gotta post this
    Jim Tom's Rye Whiskey song -- start at 1:08
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    Angel's Envy new rye is stupid tasty and the rum barrel adds sweetness back to the spice.
    beatnic:
    bourbon is for women.
    Can verify, I am a woman.
  • Options
    ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    mmmmmm....Rye Whiskey. Good stuff.

Bullet makes a damn good cheap Rye. I like to work it into the mostly bourbon mix.
    Guess I really love all whiskey, dont spend much time with the others.
  • Options

Relevant
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Awesome.
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My Dad used to sing Jim Tom's song. He was from Roanoke. Dunno where he first heard it. One of those songs with a million verses you just make up as you go along. Gotta love that bluegrass vid.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Thanks to this thread i'm now on a rye kick. I've been a long time bourbon drinker and recently had the Angels Envy port barrel...holly crap! you could sniff the glass all night and still pick out diffrent flavors, awesome stuff. Finished a bottle of Bulliet rye with the pops in law last weekend and really like the taste so i picked up a botle of Wild Turkey rye this afternoon. Havent had any yet but the bottle arome is pretty damn tasty.
  • Options
    Try the High West Double Rye. < $40 and is great stuff.
  • Options
    Wild Turkey Rye is my stand by, when I'm low on funds, it is delicous.
  • Options
    All this talk and the cold weather. It is officially hot buttered rye season.
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was just planning on picking up a bulleit rye to try. Had the orange label abd really like it, and wanna try a rye whiskey
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    Bullet is excellent, you will not be disappointed.
  • Options
    dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    slamb@cigar.com:
    Love that goodness! thats my everyday Juice!
  • Options
    dr_frankenstein56:
    slamb@cigar.com:
    Love that goodness! thats my everyday Juice!
    I love that Wild Turkey is still standing pretty strong against this 80 proof craze going around.
  • Options
    perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty fond of Pendleton Rye, even though it's bottled in Canada and then sent back here.
  • Options
    allsmokedupallsmokedup Posts: 751 ✭✭
    I somehow find rye much smoother than bourbon, go figure. I just had a drink of Pikesville Rye, rotgut edition, and I can stomach this easier than the cheap bourbons. I'll have to try the Bulleit Rye next time though as I like their bourbon too.
  • Options
    Any body have experience with Old Overholt ..... thoughts???

Wild Turkey seems to be the go-to choice for this price range ..... but I'm thinking about this one as it's new to me.