Home Cigar 101
Options

Cigar.com 20ct Humidor questions

HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
So I have the Ccom 20ct humidor on the way (the black one with the smoky pattern). Anybody have one of these? Opinions? Thoughts? Advice? It's my first humidor...
¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨

Comments

• Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    It's a decent little humidor. My only advice is to get a digital hygrometer and a different humidification source. That advice would follow for any humidor though. Good luck, and make sure you season it properly before throwing your cigars in.
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You'll hear this a lot here, but start with a larger size! You'll be amazed how soon you outgrow it, especially with the deals at ccom.
  • Options
    Sorry about that, I missed that you had already ordered it.
    When you outgrow it, use it for your flavored cigars and your new big one (that you'll be ordering soon) for storing and aging your ccom purchases.
  • Options
    Hahaha... I totally would've started with a larger one, but I got this one on a super snag (Humidor + 10 cigar sampler for $19.99), so I really couldn't pass it up. I've heard all the advice about getting one bigger than you think you need, but then I just go in circles lol - "Ok so maybe a 50ct...then I guess I should get a 150ct.. But then maybe I should get a 300ct...etc" I'm sure that I will indeed be ordering a larger one very soon.

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    That's how walk-in humidors got invented! LOL
  • Options
    Hays:
    Hahaha... I totally would've started with a larger one, but I got this one on a super snag (Humidor + 10 cigar sampler for $19.99), so I really couldn't pass it up. I've heard all the advice about getting one bigger than you think you need, but then I just go in circles lol - "Ok so maybe a 50ct...then I guess I should get a 150ct.. But then maybe I should get a 300ct...etc" I'm sure that I will indeed be ordering a larger one very soon.
    You might be surprised. I did this same deal, and I got a CAO Black 20 ct humi. Fourtotheflush ordered it as well and received a Perdomo 20 ct. I think you might get a cigar brand humidor. They're good little humidors though. I bought a digital hygrometer for mine, and use it for my daily smokes, so I can keep my 50 ct. closed. I really need to go ahead and get a 150 ct now!
  • Options
    cholmes8310:
    Hays:
    You might be surprised. I did this same deal, and I got a CAO Black 20 ct humi. Fourtotheflush ordered it as well and received a Perdomo 20 ct. I think you might get a cigar brand humidor. They're good little humidors though. I bought a digital hygrometer for mine, and use it for my daily smokes, so I can keep my 50 ct. closed. I really need to go ahead and get a 150 ct now!
    Hmm...though I'll still be happy to have a humidor, that would kinda suck. I'm not a big fan of the brand humidors - I'm a bit neurotic about some things, and I think it'd bug me to be pulling Rocky Patels and Perdomos from my CAO Black humidor (or w/e it might be)... I'm sure I'll get over it if need be, but still.. :-S

• Options
    Another question to anyone who still checks this thread - any recommendations on particular hygrometers? The ones here on ccom seem to be kinda expensive...am I really looking at $30 for a digital hygrometer? Also, the humidity beads I hear everybody mention...where do I get those?

• Options
    TheedgeTheedge Posts: 316
    Put some Xikar propylene solution (ebay) in your humidifier deal and you're good to go. It will keep your humidity at 70%. I check all of the time, it always reads 69-71%.

And by all means start trying all of the different brands. You can even keep them in the same box! Hah.
  • Options
    Theedge:
    Put some Xikar propylene solution (ebay) in your humidifier deal and you're good to go. It will keep your humidity at 70%. I check all of the time, it always reads 69-71%. And by all means start trying all of the different brands. You can even keep them in the same box! Hah.
    AS far as the hygrometer, I bought a Xikar digital for $17 at my B&M. I also use the puck humidifier that it came with, just using the Xikar proplyene glycol. Never had any problems, and maintains 68% humidity all the time.
  • Options
    HugemooseHugemoose Posts: 458
    I did the same deal (which was my intro to ccom). I had a Gurkha brand one! It was a good little humidor and did it's job for a while, but I quickly outgrew it since I like to buy samplers.....and one whole box plus a few extra didn't really fit. While I had it I used a digital hygro that I quickly bought and just DI water at first.

After I bought a bigger one I gave it to a friend of mine who was using it anyway. I think since then he has stopped smoking and let the humi (and about 6-7 CAO brazilias) go completely dry :-(
  • Options
    Hey fellow Californian! (Central Valley Native and currently located in SF) I'd say with a small 20ct, the humidifier will do just fine. And if you can, get a digital hygrom, but if your low on $$ like everyone else, just get some cigar solution (prop/dis h20) and that usually keeps stuff around optimum humiditiy. And if your stogies come with a humi pack that helps as well. Make sure you season it for about a week or so with some distilled water in a shot glass. If you find your outgrowing this one (like I did with mine) go to cheaphumidors dot com and check out their imperfects. I bought a 150ct imperfect and its beaut! Works just like a perfect, with a couple cosmetic defects that you cant notice unless you pay real close attention. I bought a digi hygrom for my 150ct but never needed one for my smaller humidor. And the stock humidifications arent as bad as everyone says. I use em in my 150ct still, but have accumulated quite a few humi packs from purchases and have those scattered throughout the humidor. If you have any more questions let me know bud. Long Ashes, Baby!
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    www.heartfeltindustries.com

Dats wheres you gets da Beads!
  • Options
    I forgot, I got a 300! haha. Its actually this same exact model. http://wwwDOTcheaphumidorsDOTcom/HUM-300GR-IMP.html Super good deal, and the space! Ohhhh the space! Money back guarantee if your not comfortable with the condition, but I assure you, you'll have the biggest smile when you realize its nothing but cosmetics! Me and my friend own a large sized imperfect and we both have been problem free from day 1!
  • Options
    So, this is supposed to show up today, and I'm super antsy for it to be here... the following is the list of cigars that is supposed to be coming:

Padilla Obsidian
    Bahia Blu
    Etiqueta Azul
    Fonseca
    Graycliff 1666
    Perdomo Lot 23
    La Gloria Cubana
    CAO Black
    Rocky Patel R4
    Gurkha’s Park Avenue

And I know I've read that I should let my cigars rest before enjoying, but I'd honestly love to smoke one of these sticks to celebrate my very first humidor - not to mention it'll take me a few days to season my humidor properly. Since I've yet to smoke any of these sticks before (still very green to cigars), any recommendations?

• Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    I would light the Fonseca, nice mild smoke that age will not really change much, you will get a good experience from it right now. I would long term rest the 1666, and Black.
  • Options
    I would say smoke the Bahia Blu. Those are nice cheepy's anyway. And remember, DO NOT put your cigars straight in the humi. Remember to season it first. I'm sure you probably know this, but I'd hate to even hear how terribly ill you became when you realized your stogies turned to a dried ****! On another note, that CAO Black is one DAMN fine cigar. Out of all the ones you mentioned, its easily the best of the bunch. Let er rest nice and good before you pop that baby out. Fonseca was the first cigar I've ever had actually. I remember it being pretty good. Other than that, I've never had any of those stogies. But I will say, the CAO BLACK is the best one out of those (IMO of course!). Good luck my man!
  • Options
    Awesome input guys - I decided to indeed go with the Fonseca. Smoked beautifully, and exactly what I wanted to commemorate my first humidor. Don't worry - I'm doing my best to season the humidor properly, and I have the 'gars chillin in a makeshift tupperdore. Need to get a hygrometer asap though...just wishing they were cheaper since I'm pretty broke and probably shouldn't have bought this set in the first place! lol :-S

• Options
    HugemooseHugemoose Posts: 458
    Let the Obsidian rest for a long time too. If you don't it will not burn right....and it still may not after a long rest. That cigar is one of my favorite because of its taste, but they have a history of burning horribly.
  • Options
    lol I feel ya! I keep buying cigars even though the funds aren't exactly going up! I would say the digi hygrometer isnt the most necessary thing in the world, you'll live without it. But you will enjoy having one and the comfort of knowing the true temp and humidity. With a 20ct, it's not exactly the most necessary thing in the world.
  • Options

Hey you can get a cheap hygrometer at wallmart for about 7 bucks. I found them over in the section with the indoor/outdoor thermometers and digital weather stations.

• Options
    BTJR99:

Hey you can get a cheap hygrometer at wallmart for about 7 bucks. I found them over in the section with the indoor/outdoor thermometers and digital weather stations.

Ya know I was wondering whether wallyworld would have one... I tried kinda browsing my local one to see but couldn't find much. The one you found - is it really appropriate for your humidor? I mean, I found a couple cheaper ones at like Radioshack, but they were huge and would take up like half my humidor..

• Options

This is the one I picked up. http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10671021 

I am using two of these. One in a small humidor not sure the size. And the other in a tupperdor. It has a clip on the back with a magnet that cut off with a sharp knife. it is not big at all  2x3 inches. Not sure where in the store you looked but I found it in the hardware section mixed in with the indoor and outdoor thermometers. 

Hey by the way which humidor did they send you?

• Options
    BTJR99:

This is the one I picked up. http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10671021 

I am using two of these. One in a small humidor not sure the size. And the other in a tupperdor. It has a clip on the back with a magnet that cut off with a sharp knife. it is not big at all  2x3 inches. Not sure where in the store you looked but I found it in the hardware section mixed in with the indoor and outdoor thermometers. 

Hey by the way which humidor did they send you?

Yeah I finally found that one on the web last night. I think I'll pop by my local Walmarts (I have like three equidistant from me, two of which are SuperCenters lol) and see if I can pick it up today. I got the official Cigar.com black smoke humidor, though I was a little bummed to see that it does indeed have Cigar.com on the box... I have much love for Cigar.com - this site is really awesome, and probably the most welcoming forum I've ever seen, but I'm just a big fan of brand-stamping (you won't see me with any shirts screaming "Dolce and Gabbana" across it like we have a lot of around here)... Keeping the bands on my cigars is really about as close as I get.