Home Cigar 101
Options

Cigar Tubes?

ThewelderThewelder Posts: 682 ✭✭
This question comes up from what I heard from when I got deployed two years ago in the Navy. If you buy a cigar that comes in a tube does the tube act like a mini humidor. One of the guys was telling us as long as you don't open it should holds it humidity. For atleast as long as it takes to cross water. From purchase point to home port was about a month. Is that true or are the tubes just fancy cellaphane to catch the eye of n00bs?

Comments

• Options
    ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
    they will hold for a little while so long as the temp of the air around it is consistent. Make sure the cap is on TIGHT. And even then, I would say it'll be good in there for 8-12 days before it begins to seep out humidity.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i dont trust the tubes.
    they will hold longer than cello, but i dont think they are like "mini humidors"

the air exchange is very slow. this will slow the aging process and would almost certainly make them last longer without a humidor around.

i know it isnt the same but....
    would you feel ok dipping that tube in water? if you think for even a moment that water could get in then i would hesitate to say that they will last out of a humidor.
  • Options
    Idk if this is just me but whenever I buy a tubo cigar it feels a little under humidified when I take it out, as though the tube was actually preventing humidity from getting to the cigar while in storage. I don't like buying tubos anyway cause I always just take them off and put the cigar in my humidor like usual. However I did keep the tubes from the first couple tubos I bought because they are convenient if I want to take a cigar somewhere in my pocket or something like that.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    I read somewhere that the idea behind tubes, is to keep the cigar in the exact condition it left the factory in. I have kept tubed cigars out of the humidor for several weeks at a time, and noticed no ill effects. If you have a doubt, zip lock bags and a water pillow may ease your mind.
  • Options
    I think they should use them in the cheese making processes, they seam to really aid in making mold....
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I leave the sticks in the tubes but remove the cap and place them in my coolidor. Seems to work well for me.

Marty

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    kaspera79:
    I read somewhere that the idea behind tubes, is to keep the cigar in the exact condition it left the factory in.
    this is why i will almost never buy a tubo. if i do i have to be sure that it has never been opened. they have it in there for a reason. im gunna leave it there till the last moment.