Home Non Cigar Related

Afghanistan Gift Advice

gripnripgripnrip Posts: 502 ✭✭✭
My son (37 years old) is going to Afghanistan in a month or so for a year to do security work. He will be in Kabul for the most part (I'm told...), so he won't be in the boonies (assuming Kabul is not the boonies). I'd like to get him something he could use over there and I believe there are several forum members that have been there that might be able to tell me what they wanted/needed when they were there. Maybe one of those "damn....I sure wish i had (brought with me)" .... He is a BOTL, but the gift does not necessarily need to be cigar related. If anyone (not just those that have been there) has any ideas/suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Baby wipes, baby wipes and baby wipes.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Rain:
    Baby wipes, baby wipes and baby wipes.
    That's funny, A buddy of mine says the same thing.. That, Protein powders and Protein Bars, Tuna and Chicken in those foil packs, Gatorade powder, beef jerky, and candy, (not chocolate) oh yeah for some reason he always wanted tooth brushes and paste. And itune gift cards.
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Any type of candy or snacks (IE jerky, oatmeal bars) are good. A lot of the time chow is not good or just flat out not available at some points...good to have a reserve. Plus you can trade it.
  • gripnripgripnrip Posts: 502 ✭✭✭
    Great suggestions...looks like i'll be making up care packages as the year goes by. Thanks guys!
  • New_BootsNew_Boots Posts: 2,651 ✭✭
    Something that really helped me was a baby wipes warmer! The wipes are always great, but HVAC isnt exactly a class act there. Being able to come in, and wipe your self off with a nice warm wipe is great. Make sure he has headphones! You'd be surprised how many don't. For me, that was my only escape. I've done 3 tours in AFG. Baby wipes, foot powder/body powder and OH! when it starts warming up....Under Armor HeatGear socks are AMAZING! They run around $10 a pair...but are very much worth it.
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    As odd as it may sound, a small breadmaker is a fantastic gift for downrange. He can get all the ingredients he needs to make bread either by ordering off the internet or having people mail it to him. The smell alone is worth it, it really gives you a feeling of home. And, as has already been said a few times, many times chow is not up to par. There's something to be said for being able to make delicious homemade bread on a whim.
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    alienmisprint:
    As odd as it may sound, a small breadmaker is a fantastic gift for downrange. He can get all the ingredients he needs to make bread either by ordering off the internet or having people mail it to him. The smell alone is worth it, it really gives you a feeling of home. And, as has already been said a few times, many times chow is not up to par. There's something to be said for being able to make delicious homemade bread on a whim.
    Any requests Tony? How are the Tums holding out? Expect another round between the two holidays!
    alienmisprint:
    True, true...breakmakers are also friend makers!
    Bigshizza:
    Any requests Tony? How are the Tums holding out? Expect another round between the two holidays!

Hold fire buddy! I just moved to a different FOB and I'm not sure how long I will be here, so I don't have a good address. No requests, and yeah, the Tums are holding out, lol. They have been a lifesaver, man, thank you again.
    Sounds like I need to add Tums to the mix too....

Thanks to all for the great suggestions-keep 'em coming if anything else comes to mind-making a list!
  • A good folding knife. Like Benchmade or SOG. Also, On the Go towels are excellent. They are like baby wipes but are for cleaning your face and what not.
    Also, a little more off the wall here. If it's for your son, find something small that will remind him of home. Something that, every time he sees it, his mind will take him back...even for just a moment.
    New Boots:
    Also, a little more off the wall here. If it's for your son, find something small that will remind him of home. Something that, every time he sees it, his mind will take him back...even for just a moment.
    Awesome...will do this for sure. Thanks.
  • scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    Baby wipes are a must, M&Ms are the one chocolate I know will survive 99% of the time in those temps and everyone loves chocolate(coated outside prevents the melting chocolate move which was actually made for the military for this precise reason), Instant coffee or tea, those water bottle instant gatorade, tea, lemonade powders, shaving cream, socks (green and white), any magazines he would read here, maybe a calling card, beef jerky, beef jerky, beef jerky, possibly some cans of dip which can always be given to squadmates. Definitely something to remind him of home as said before. That what I sent my best buddy and he loved it.
    Thanks again to everyone. All suggestions are going on the list for future care packages.
    Any more questions, please ask...here, PM, what have you.
    Gino USMC:
    A good folding knife. Like Benchmade or SOG. Also, On the Go towels are excellent. They are like baby wipes but are for cleaning your face and what not.

If you are going to go the knife/tool route, I highly recommend going with a Leatherman Crunch. I have had mine since my first Afghanistan deployment (2004-2005) and it has been a lifesaver on many occasions. Having a pair of vise grips on your belt is highly useful.
    New Boots:
    Any more questions, please ask...here, PM, what have you.
    Thank you sir.
    alienmisprint:
    Gino USMC:
    A good folding knife. Like Benchmade or SOG. Also, On the Go towels are excellent. They are like baby wipes but are for cleaning your face and what not.

If you are going to go the knife/tool route, I highly recommend going with a Leatherman Crunch. I have had mine since my first Afghanistan deployment (2004-2005) and it has been a lifesaver on many occasions. Having a pair of vise grips on your belt is highly useful.
    That looks great-I'll have to get 2-one for him, one for me!