Home Cigar 101
Options

Wrapper coming undone

I'm sure this question has been posted multiples times, but I was just curious if anyone had any advice. The last 4-5 cigars that I've smoked out of my humidor have all had an issue with the wrapper coming undone about 3/4 through smoking it. I've had multiple brands and wrappers, my humidor sits at 70 degrees and about 73-75% rH. I figured this would occur if the cigars became too dry, but could it be that my rH is a little too high? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    ryanbish:
    I'm sure this question has been posted multiples times, but I was just curious if anyone had any advice. The last 4-5 cigars that I've smoked out of my humidor have all had an issue with the wrapper coming undone about 3/4 through smoking it. I've had multiple brands and wrappers, my humidor sits at 70 degrees and about 73-75% rH. I figured this would occur if the cigars became too dry, but could it be that my rH is a little too high? Thanks in advance!
    YUP, that is probably the issue all right. If your RHis that high you do run the risk of over humidified sticks swelling as you smoke them and the wrapper just can't expand like that without cracking.
    Also at RH's that high you are running the risk of mold !!

What are you using for humidification? Can you remove some or adjust your humidification device(s) ? That would help, try getting it down to below 70% and you will find your sticks smoke better. Also most here like the flavor of their sticks a little drier ;)
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    laker1963:
    ryanbish:
    YUP, that is probably the issue all right. If your RHis that high you do run the risk of over humidified sticks swelling as you smoke them and the wrapper just can't expand like that without cracking.
    Also at RH's that high you are running the risk of mold !!

What are you using for humidification? Can you remove some or adjust your humidification device(s) ? That would help, try getting it down to below 70% and you will find your sticks smoke better. Also most here like the flavor of their sticks a little drier ;)
    spot on. get that rh between 65 and 70. all will end well.

also, it could be the humidity outside. if the humidity is very high then sometimes it will cause burn issues.

one more thing
    maybe it has to do with the cut. if you take too much off then it could be an issue
  • Options
    I have a 100 count, glass top humidor but I'm not using anything for humidification right now. I usually use humicare gel but since my humidity is so high I removed it. I was thinking about getting some Heartfelt beads to try to get the humidity down a bit. Any other suggestions? Thanks again!
  • Options
    4bob44bob4 Posts: 212
    ryanbish:
    I was thinking about getting some Heartfelt beads to try to get the humidity down a bit. Any other suggestions? Thanks again!
    There may be more suggestions but no better ones. I was having high humidity issues too here in GA and got the 65% beads about a month ago and just yesterday added a smidge of water to them. It took about a week but they got my humidity down where it should be.
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    ryanbish:
    I have a 100 count, glass top humidor but I'm not using anything for humidification right now. I usually use humicare gel but since my humidity is so high I removed it. I was thinking about getting some Heartfelt beads to try to get the humidity down a bit. Any other suggestions? Thanks again!
    I think the heartfelt beads would work well in that situation.
    If some are left uncharged, then they act to absorb the additional moisture. I believe the guys that use them leave about 10% uncharged so that they can both give off humidity and absorb moisture to control the RH when needed.
    If you have any Humi pillows you could try adding one or two of those (particularly if they are un-charged or under-charged) as they will also absorb additional moisture from your humi. I run a couple of charged ones and a single uncharged one in one of my Humi's and it works really well.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    in the summer i leave about 90% uncharged

in the winter i go to 10-20% uncharged