Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Skiing

Anyone else here ski? (The snow kind, not the water kind). It's almost that season..

I'm a big mid-atlantic (east coast) skier so I pretty much ski on ice not snow.

Comments

• Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm going to drag my wife out on the slopes for the first time this winter. I really hope she enjoys it. It will make going more often much easier.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    macs-smokesmacs-smokes Posts: 587
    Really enjoy skiing... have been a frequent (annual) skier for years. Wife isn't bad at ot either. Now to get the kids onto skis.
  • Options
    New_BootsNew_Boots Posts: 2,651 ✭✭
    I love the snowboard. It's been FOREVER though.
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Bad ankle, bad back. Even if I could manage it, I bet it would ruin my knees, too!

But the idea of it...I like.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    New_BootsNew_Boots Posts: 2,651 ✭✭
    Martel:
    Bad ankle, bad back. Even if I could manage it, I bet it would ruin my knees, too!

But the idea of it...I like.
    Yeah, I didnt think about that...my knees are trash. I'm not sure how I can still walk/run. I'm pretty sure when I retire, I legs are going to fall off at the knee.
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    scarlin:
    Anyone else here ski? (The snow kind, not the water kind). It's almost that season..

Used to ski here in OH (more ice than snow) 2-3 times/week ... did that for a number of years.

Got spoiled a few years ago when I skied Crested Butte CO with fresh powder in the morning and bluebird afternoons every single day ... needless to say, haven't been too motivated to get back to the ice + tundra that is midwest skiing.
    I've been out maybe 1-2 times/season the past couple years here in OH, if that.
    Hope to make it out a couple times this year, especially if we get some good snow. Planning a trip to either the UP (Mt Bohemia) or WV (Snowshoe) as well.

What hills do you usually hit up, scarlin? 7 springs?

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    @ New boots

I am here to inform you about a wee little place over by Atchison... forget the name but skiing is cheap... not long runs but its close by and can get you warmed up in case you wanted to go west.
  • Options
    scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    jgibv:
    scarlin:

Used to ski here in OH (more ice than snow) 2-3 times/week ... did that for a number of years.

Got spoiled a few years ago when I skied Crested Butte CO with fresh powder in the morning and bluebird afternoons every single day ... needless to say, haven't been too motivated to get back to the ice + tundra that is midwest skiing.
    Hope to make it out a couple times this year, especially if we get some good snow. Planning a trip to either the UP (Mt Bohemia) or WV (Snowshoe) as well.

Yea, I hit up 7 springs. My family just sold our condo there and are looking into renting/buying another one. It is an ok resort, but NOTHING to the west. I got real spoiled last year by going to Vail/Beavercreek for a week and then Whistler-Blackcomb for a week. All I can say is that Whistler-Blackcomb is the best ski resort I have every had the luxury skiing. 2 Full peaks are skiing including a billion bowls, it dwarfs anything on this continent. I went in the Middle of March and it was still dumping snow. Unfortunately I'm stuck with the 30-60 seconds going down the hill and 5 minutes freezing my butt of going back up.
  • Options
    Arapaho Basin has a pass to most of the resorts there. Price keeps jumping from year to year. But I prefer CO to NM.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    I go see my brother in SLC, Utah every year and we go skiing at Solitude, where he works weekends. I gave up snowboarding since I broke several bones and jacked up my shoulder. Now, I'm back to skiing and love it. I skied 3 days straight earlier this year, what a blast.
  • Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Snowboarding ..... fun
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Trashed my anterior cruciate ligament in Breckenridge many moons ago. So, no.
  • Options
    Tyland64Tyland64 Posts: 712
    I grew up in Michigan and never skied. Moved to Arizona for college and started to ski. Skied in Colorado, my brother lived in Durango. Strangest place I ever skied was in South Korea when I was in the Army. Now I am in Central New York, might have to start skiing again?
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    scarlin:
    jgibv:
    scarlin:

Yea, I hit up 7 springs. My family just sold our condo there and are looking into renting/buying another one. It is an ok resort, but NOTHING to the west. I got real spoiled last year by going to Vail/Beavercreek for a week and then Whistler-Blackcomb for a week. All I can say is that Whistler-Blackcomb is the best ski resort I have every had the luxury skiing. 2 Full peaks are skiing including a billion bowls, it dwarfs anything on this continent. I went in the Middle of March and it was still dumping snow. Unfortunately I'm stuck with the 30-60 seconds going down the hill and 5 minutes freezing my butt of going back up.
    I skied 7 springs for a couple days, years ago....it was a pretty decent hill for the region....

And I would love to make it to Whistler ---- I've heard nothing but great things .... everyone says it's unreal.

And yeah, here in OH it's about 10-15 seconds going down and 10 minutes+ going back up because our lifts suuuccckkkkk!

danielzreyes:
    Snowboarding ..... fun
    ^^^^
    tried it once, OUCH!
    not fun to learn how to board on a sheet of ice ..... group of friends teaching me thought they were hilarious though ..... I caught my edge and ate it hard. Their response: "know what you did wrong there?" ..... "you fell down"
    yeah,

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    Its not falling down... it succumbing to gravity.
  • Options
    gripnripgripnrip Posts: 502 ✭✭✭
    Come to MT in the spring (Mid Feb to mid April) and ski Big Sky or Big Mountain. Short lines, long runs, lots of blue sky (most of the time) and comparatively low cost.