Home Cigar 101
Options

The New guy

Hey all.

A couple of questions from the new guy.

What's the best cutter to use?  I have a punch right now.

The last few times I have used my punch the back of the cigar kind of expolded, are they too dry?

Comments

• Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    First off, WELCOME Magicseven. Grab a chair and have a seat.
    There are a lot of cutters out there. A lot of guys here use a double blade guillitine(sp) cutter. There are a few who use scissors, and some rely on a punch. A good cutter (like a Xikar 1, 2, or 3) are very popular and very well made and warranteed.

Have you got a Hygrometer? If not get one, cause there is no way to tell what if your sticks are too dry or not. If you have one and your humi is reading below like 60% RH then yes they are too dry.
    It could also be the punch as they can ruin a stick if you aren't gentle and the stick is on the dry side.
    I would get my RH above 60% (more like 64 - 67%) in that range and then you will know your sticks are stored properly. VERY IMPORTANT!!!!
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    welcome majic
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the boards, word to the wise, don't post any other website that compete with ccom, or laker will go johnnywalkerblue on your azz.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Krieg:
    Welcome to the boards, word to the wise, don't post any other website that compete with ccom, or laker will go johnnywalkerblue on your azz.
    Swwaaaaap !!

What was that?

The sound of a wet fish slapping Krieg in the side of the head.

He forgot to mention not to bring up that name. LOL
  • Options
    jpclotfelterjpclotfelter Posts: 294
    I have both a double blade cutter and a punch at home. I use the punch on cigars with a larger ring guage.
  • Options
    Renaissance_ManRenaissance_Man Posts: 973 ✭✭
    laker1963:
    Krieg:
    Swwaaaaap !!

What was that?

So what? Now he is "the one who shall not be named"? Getting a bit harry potterish here ;) :P
  • Options
    Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    Renaissance_Man:
    laker1963:
    Krieg:
    Swwaaaaap !!

What was that?

So what? Now he is "the one who shall not be named"? Getting a bit harry potterish here ;) :P
    How about the Basturd from Barstow instead?
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    laker1963:

It could also be the punch as they can ruin a stick if you aren't gentle and the stick is on the dry side.
    I would get my RH above 60% (more like 64 - 67%) in that range and then you will know your sticks are stored properly. VERY IMPORTANT!!!!

I've also read on this forum that it's advisable to wet both the end of your stogie AND the cutting edge of your punch before you start. (I use saliva, which is a good reason not to share your punch or offer to punch someone else's stogie for them.) Also, you should twist it in ONLY ONE direction - don't 'saw' it back and forth. This almost always f---ks up the head of the cigar.

Marty

• Options
    Well I broke down and bought a decent punch, the guy at the Cigar store pretty much laughed at the punch I had.  Bought a Patel, and used it.  Perfect!  LOL. 

So one mystery solved!

So I should be getting my humi in the mail friday, what do I need to do to get it ready?

Where can hygram (Sp) thingy?

Thanks for all the tips.
  • Options
    Welcome magicseven! I punch just about every thing but torps & some of the smaller vitolas. My cutter is a xikar. Get a better punch you'll not regret it.
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    magicseven:
    Well I broke down and bought a decent punch, the guy at the Cigar store pretty much laughed at the punch I had.  Bought a Patel, and used it.  Perfect!  LOL. 

So one mystery solved!

So I should be getting my humi in the mail friday, what do I need to do to get it ready?

Where can hygram (Sp) thingy?

Thanks for all the tips.
    Humi has to be seasoned (Just search these forums and find OOODLES of advice on seasoning)

AND you need a Hygrometer to measure humidity and that needs to be, hopefully, digital... Cigar.com sells them or local B&Ms sell them
  • Options
    To season your humi (which has to be done or it'll completely ruin your cigars) get some distilled water and fill a shot glass with the distilled water, not completely full, but you know, 3/4 the way. Put the shot glass with the distilled water in your humi and leave it there for an entire week. Maybe check after a few days to see if you need to add more distilled water to the shot glass (unlikely). Remember not to open it up, as tempting as it may be, very often, if at all. Go to your B&M and purchase a digital hygrometer and toss that in the humi as well. If after a week of seasoning its anywhere around 68-72% humidity, your clear. Toss your stogies in and your good to go. Also, forgot to mention to put some of the cigar humidity solution into your humidifier (solution can be bought at your b&m as well). Happy smoking after that! Some say to just lightly wipe down your humidor with a rag that is just slightly damp with distilled water. I did it with mine and you'd be surprised by the amount of dirt that is removed. Don't soak the rag or you'll ruin your humidor as well (can warp it) so, like I said, just a slightly damp rag and wipe er down before you toss the shot glass in.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Welcome magic seven, listen to San Francisco Joe, and be sure to season that humidor. Many people just fill up a new humidor, that would be a mistake. Check out Heartfelt Industries for humidification needs. They offer some excellent products.
  • Options
    So I just got my humidor in the mail, I have it seasoning right now.

A few other questions.

Where do I put the humidifier disc?

What do i put in the humidifier?
  • Options
    Hey....that's what I like...a cigar man and a Lennon fan ~

I'm the NEW new guy ~
  • Options

magicseven:

A few other questions.

You can stick it up your ass as far as were concerned

• Options
    bibbybibby Posts: 152
    JohnnyWalkerRed:

magicseven:

A few other questions.

You can stick it up your ass as far as were concerned

Did this really just happen? WOW!!!

Rob
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    The mods will take care of him AGAIN soon enough ...just ignore ...
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Hey Johnny, Come on man. Let's play nice this time.. Dude.. We have nothing against you. Why must you come around and pisss in the pool ?
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    kaspera79:
    Hey Johnny, Come on man. Let's play nice this time.. Dude.. We have nothing against you. Why must you come around and pisss in the pool ?
    (Why is it warmer over here)
  • Options

kaspera79:

Kaspera, I appreciate that you did not go crazy on me for my post.  I was out of line, and I apologize.  To the new guy, please accept my apology.  It was uncalled for.  I said it before that I was leaving, and this time I mean it.  Theres no excuse for my behavior whatsoever. 

• Options
    I tried it in my ass Johnny, cigar kind of tasted like crap,(forgive the pun)  And I just can't seem to get the humidity right.  Every time I add distilled water, it just makes me crap.  Whenever I add the beads it just makes my ass burn.

So back to my original question?  Where do I put the disc?
  • Options
    TheShaunTheShaun Posts: 425
    Do you mean like the disc in picture? Inside the lid, next to the hygrometer. Does your humidor have a spot for it there? image
  • Options
    Ok so now I have it seasoned, bought the Hygromter.

It's sitting at 80% humidity?  It that too much?  How do I lower it?

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    magicseven:
    Ok so now I have it seasoned, bought the Hygromter.

It's sitting at 80% humidity?  It that too much?  How do I lower it?

Thanks in advance.
    Did you salt test the hygrometer? After you've done that, get heartfelt beads...work like a charm.