Home Pipes

inform me

blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
So I've been smoking cigars about 2 to 3 nights a week for the past few years, I'm looking to get a pipe and test the waters. Insane how many small town local blends there are, but that's an aside. I always like to look online at stashes, and see awesome collections. Inform me on aging and collecting pipe tobaccos. Worth it, meaningless they all smoke great fresh, or just start smoking and worry later. Tend to go all in with my loves, and cigars have me loved for life with delicious tobacco intricacies.

Comments

• Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just jumped in with pipes over a yer ago and like it a lot. I seem to smoke more cigars in the summer and move to pipes when its cooler.

For the most part, pipe tobacco ages well. And just like cigars, some blends benefit more from age than others. I say, just start smoking and enjoy the ride. I still feel like I do not have the technique down well, but pipes are just as much fun as cigars (but quite different).
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    I have been smoking a pipe now for just over 3 yrs. They are a completely different flavor profile than cigars. I too during the first year or so found myself smoking more cigars in the summer and pipes in the cooler months. Now that has changed I smoke based on mood. If I need to think it will be a pipe, yard work, pipe (more often than not).

Aging can be fun but you need to know what you like and you need time to let your taste develop just like when you started cigars. It will change and something you once loved will no longer be what you desire. So buy small to start and if you find something you like buy 2. One for now and one to age. Try the one you have aged after at least 1 year and you should start to see small differences.
  • J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    Almost forgot. Don't try to age aromatics. They do not age well at all and some actually become really bad with age.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    J.S.:
    Almost forgot. Don't try to age aromatics. They do not age well at all and some actually become really bad with age.
    Good point, aromatics are like the infused cigars of pipe tobacco, but are much more popular with pipe smokers. Anyway, if you keep aromatics for a while, they just lose all of their flavorings.

As a general rule, I think virginias age very well, perique will take a back seat in terms of prominence, burleys can smooth out, and latakia loses some of it's smokiness, but gets really smooth and creamy.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • pilgrimtexpilgrimtex Posts: 429
    blurr:
    So I've been smoking cigars about 2 to 3 nights a week for the past few years, I'm looking to get a pipe and test the waters. Insane how many small town local blends there are, but that's an aside. I always like to look online at stashes, and see awesome collections. Inform me on aging and collecting pipe tobaccos. Worth it, meaningless they all smoke great fresh, or just start smoking and worry later. Tend to go all in with my loves, and cigars have me loved for life with delicious tobacco intricacies.

Generally the small town local blends are purchased Bulk tobaccos and then given a local name. If you get in good with a B&M and you find a blend you like try finding out the mfg. and name of the Bulk such as Lane Ltd 1Q etc. Then you can order on-line and save some money. Welcome to the world of the pipe. Great hobby. Eventually I'll bet you even start experimenting with making up your own blends which can be very rewarding.
  • CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    Hadn't even thought of mixing blends..always left that to the discernment of the brands....now I'm even more excited about getting back into this hobby.

One of the best things about the Internet and Forums these days is the exchange of ideas and picking up pointers which in my day back in 1970's one had to talk with the owner/manager of the store to get some pointers and it was pretty exclusive given the fact that if the guy was just BS'ing you then you'd have to find another source. I've been reading everything on this forum and esp. from the Brother here ( pilgrimtex ) where it's just one pointer after another and that sure helps people like me who have been away from this for so long and for those just getting into it...getting this kind of wealth of info is so much better than buying some book for $20 and not getting half the info you really want w/o having to read the whole thing. What's better is that we have an avenue to just ask people and know pretty much the answer we get is the right answer...so even with me being as old as I am an old dog can learn new tricks and a big Thank You for those who answer our queries so we don't have to buy those $20 books.