Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Samurai Exhibit

perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
The Portland Art Museum has a large display of authentic samurai armor and a few swords and muskets. Some absolutely amaziing pieces from the 10th to 18th centuries along with some of their art and poetry. I have always been fascinated by the samurai and drawn to the warrior-artist ethos that is so at odds with the European model of "big dumb brute" for soldiers. If y'all are in the area it is WELL worth the price of admission, PM me if you want to see more pictures, I took quite a few.

Comments

• Options
    big chunksbig chunks Posts: 1,607
    That's awesome
  • Options
    The craftsmanship and ornateness of the armor and helmets was just astounding. There was one set where you could see scoring from a blade slash and three dents where the wearer had been hit by musket balls. Dented the armor but did not damage the decorative facing.
  • Options
    big chunksbig chunks Posts: 1,607
    I picture the art of war, especially the poetic beauty of it, the honor of fighting and the respect of defeat even though they died it was honor of family/clan of it
  • Options
    onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am fascinated with this kind of stuff and history in general.
  • Options
    LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    I am jealous!!!! I wanna see that exhibit so bad!
    Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.
  • Options
    onestrangeone:
    I am fascinated with this kind of stuff and history in general.
    Me, too, my undergraduate degree is in history and I have always been fascinated by military history.

Chris, it's running until Jan 12 so you've got some time.
  • Options
    clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    Love the bunny slippers!!!
  • Options
    Thanks, Perkinke for the Samurai Exhibit post, Purchase (Art/Armor) Book at the on-line Museum Gift Shop, Please (pm) me photo's.......Thank-You
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice exhibit! I read Bushido, and The Sword and The Mind while I was laid up last summer, very interesting history. Makes one wonder, the famous tale Sir Gawain and The Green Knight, could Gawain have met a wandering Samurai while out questing?
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    Oh, great. Now I'm going to have to watch Kurosawa's Seven Sumarai for the tenth time.
  • Options
    I caught a a play re-adapted from Kurosawa's film adaptation of MacBeth a few years ago at the Shakespeare Festival in Ashland, OR, it was the first adaptation of Shakespeare that I truly loved.