Home Non Cigar Related
Options

All things Thanksgiving thread.

jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
Gobble gobble.
Excited for next week.
Going to get up early, make a big pot of coffee, eat some scones and watch the macy's parade with the wife for a little bit.

Doing Thanksgiving at our house this year though....so can't sit too long; will have to get to work on getting the meal ready. Picked up a 16-lb bird at the store yesterday; first time cooking a bird this large.

Can't decide if I want to smoke the turkey on the grill or let the wife cook it in the oven.
If I fire up the grill I got a 5-lb cut of brisket I could smoke up too...Forecast is for a high of 30-ish though, don't know if I want to freeze my *** off, but then again I could always start up the fire pit (and a cigar or two) to stay warm while I'm grillin. Decisions, decisions.

Wife's making up the list of side dishes and so far she's got homemade cranberry sauce, cornbread stuffing, mashed potatoes, & pear-cranberry pie on the list. I'm thinking there will be a couple more veggie dishes, some type of bread, and I'm hoping for some homemade mac&cheese too....we'll see.

Then after I stuff my face with food, going to put on the football games and hoping I can park myself on the couch for the rest of the day. Only plan on getting up for more food or more drinks, LOL

What are your guys plans?
Got any special traditions? Or you trying anything new this year?
How about food --- what's usually on your table?
And got any drinks or cigars you're going to indulge in that day?

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

Comments

• Options
    dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    We rarely do turkey in our family. Since we all end up attending atleast one or two work related thanksgiving dinners we get turkey burnt pretty fast. We like to smoke some ducks and game hens and everybody gets there very own bird.

this years plans will include a nice bottle of glen levit, a roaring juniper fire and 5 of my very best cigars to enjoy. This year our kids will be gone so me and the ol'lady will be completly blotto by 9 pm.

Aj
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Going to my sister's place. It's nice because from there we head to the Corur 'd Alene resort to stay until Sunday morning. They have a tree lighting on Friday and there's lots of cool shops and restaurants nearby. I'm sure I will have to bring some homework which sucks but am looking forward to being near my fellow holiday homies. I hope everyone out there have a great holiday!!
  • Options
    BombayBombay Posts: 1,207
    Usually at my mom's house but switched to my house this year. Everything is pretty normal food lots of food, wine, football, and family. But I would say that there are three special things that go during Thanksgiving, 1.) it is always started by volunteering at a local fun run to raise money for the food bank, 2.) There is always sweet potatoe souffle and if there ever even crept a thought there wouldnt be someone would get hurt, 3.) Laslty there are always games played after the meal and football of course.
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    I love a simple, homemade cranberry sauce with my bird. But sometimes I feel the jelly, too. Something so 1950's about it.

Sweet potatoes are my favorite side to make; I try something new every year, but I'm not cooking this year so I'll probably have crappy canned yams with marshmallows and red hots.

The family tradition food is oyster dressing. A standard bread dressing with oysters mixed in. I love it.

Other than that, we have a pretty standard meal with lots of football after, backgammon or euchre for some.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    pelirrojopelirrojo Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    I had something new last year that I had never heard/thought of before but that turned out amazing. Combine canned cranberry sauce with prepared horseradish in the little jar. The ratio of cranberry/horseradish is up to you, but damn if it doesn't make for good sandwiches later.
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    I better eat a ton so I can go to bed before the Dallas Cowboys stink it up.
  • Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    After the Lions Football Victory, we will gather the family together and watch Thankskilling again. Absolute classic Thanksgiving movie. Gobble gobble motherf***er!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    macs-smokesmacs-smokes Posts: 587
    Deep fried turkey... with Wild Turkey.. several. Pies.... but not sure what the family is eating. To fry a 16# bird is 53 minutes ... thus more time to tell the wife I'm cooking without doing squat.
  • Options
    onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not overly excited about Thanksgiving this year, normaly we spend the day at my sisters house. I decided that this year we will have Thanksgiving with my father instead, this will be the first holiday with him in 20 plus yrs. I'm having very mixed emotions right now. It is time to leave the past IN the past.
  • Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2012 Our first Thanksgiving at our house. First time we finally got to use our fine china that my wife and I received from our wedding 7yrs ago. (Now 8)
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    Poopy_JonesPoopy_Jones Posts: 455 ✭✭✭
    Me and Mrs Jones will be at my folks place for a traditional dinner. I'm bringing a good friend and fellow BOTL to dinner as well and we will holiday herf before the big meal. Have a happy safe holiday all!!
  • Options
    firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    Going to Vegas. I wonder if they'll have a turkey bird buffet.........
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I was up north I always cooked at least 3 birds. There was always some elderly ladies that had no family near by and the bird provided them with the energy to invite others in the same circumstance over for a "bring a dish" for a Thanksgiving meal. Very gratifying.

Since marrying and moving to TN it is more like when I was a kid and everyone comes to Mama's house. There are always a few no where to go friends of the family. All the standard dishes and a ton of baked goods. Football games and a little drinking are the norm. We always have some sweet potatoes and squash from the garden

Two days after I make my world famous turkey soup with kimchi and bow tie pasta. I know that might sound strange, but it is gone the day it is made, it is absolutely delicious. The turkey carcass gets simmered for at least 4 hours. The pasta and kimchi are added to the strained and all fat removed broth, and cooked long enough for the pasta to cook. Oh, and any gravy and dressing is added to the simmering carcass.

Before I forget...my best to everyone for the Holidays.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    Going to the in-laws. That pear-cranberry pie sounds effin delicious.
  • Options
    EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Going to my in laws in Portland. Father in law is BOTL and mother in law a great cook so should be fun!
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like you all got some good plans lined up; good company, good food, good drinks, and maybe a good cigar or two --- shaping up to be a nice holiday.

And @pelirrojo -- that horseradish/cranberry sauce combo sounds delicious, will have to try it.

@FTG -- enjoy Vegas! Color me jealous! It's snowing here today, would love to get away from this weather for a few days.

@james40 -- yes the pear-craberry pie is amazing. I'll see if I can get the recipe for you. She's made it a couple times before, and it will all be gone the day she makes it. Sooo good.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Slow roasted turkey ,stuffed with oyster dressing (not that breaded dressing with a few oysters that they serve in Mississippi. Hehehe Martel). Shrimp stuffed mirliton (if you have to ask, you haven't lived). Homemade macaroni and cheese, covered with turkey gravy. Stop me please. Homemade cranberry jelly: not sauce, but jelly like you find in the can, and homemade. - to die for. Pecan Pie. Bordeaux before meal, Chardonnay with, and followed with a nice port wine and good cigar. ZZZzzzzzzz.
  • Options
    jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    I am a pie guy. All of you that have met/seen me can testify, I am not a man who has met a pie he doesn't like, so I tend to provide them for get togethers. This year's pies are: Sweet potato with caramel marshmellow glaze, deep dish pumpkin (basically a double tall pumpkin), Cherry, and Pecan Creme Brulee. And, of course, homemade whip cream with either vanilla or bourbon is available. If you bring cool whip near my pies, I will cut you.

Other tasty stuff that always shows up at our Thanksgivings: Turkey, Sage Dressing, Corn Pudding, rolls of all shapes and sizes, fresh cranberry sauce, pickled herring, potato sausage, and various interpretations of ambrosia salad. Then we all follow the family tradition of turning on football, and taking a nap.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    jthanatos:
    I am a pie guy. All of you that have met/seen me can testify, I am not a man who has met a pie he doesn't like, so I tend to provide them for get togethers. This year's pies are: Sweet potato with caramel marshmellow glaze, deep dish pumpkin (basically a double tall pumpkin), Cherry, and Pecan Creme Brulee. And, of course, homemade whip cream with either vanilla or bourbon is available. If you bring cool whip near my pies, I will cut you.

Other tasty stuff that always shows up at our Thanksgivings: Turkey, Sage Dressing, Corn Pudding, rolls of all shapes and sizes, fresh cranberry sauce, pickled herring, potato sausage, and various interpretations of ambrosia salad. Then we all follow the family tradition of turning on football, and taking a nap.
    I will eat any Pie except minced meat, or Pecan. Don't know why I just can't eat a savory pie. Gotta be sweet. I would go to a restaurant ...Bakers Square, and order six or more "half" slices of pie with my wife and kids and just pass them around. French Silk, Dutch Apple, Strawberry, Reese's Peanut Butter Cup, Cherry, Lemon, Coconut, Banana, Oreo Cookie, It was fun to see my young daughters rank them on our little One to ten score cards. Most often Peanut Butter and Oreo came out on top.
  • Options
    jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    kaspera79:
    jthanatos:

I will eat any Pie except minced meat, or Pecan. Don't know why I just can't eat a savory pie. Gotta be sweet. I would go to a restaurant ...Bakers Square, and order six or more "half" slices of pie with my wife and kids and just pass them around. French Silk, Dutch Apple, Strawberry, Reese's Peanut Butter Cup, Cherry, Lemon, Coconut, Banana, Oreo Cookie, It was fun to see my young daughters rank them on our little One to ten score cards. Most often Peanut Butter and Oreo came out on top.
    If your pecan or mincemeat pies are not on the sweet side of sweet/savory, something has gone terribly wrong.