Home General Discussion
Options

Loss of Humidity

I reseasoned my humidor for the winter as it was starting to fall below 70%rh! I have about 75 stogies in there, and have about 6 pillows, 2 jars or Xikar beads, & 3 humidity sticks all evenly spaced out, & can't even get to 65%. Any Thoughts?

RaiderRedSmoker

Comments

• Options
    WaltBasilWaltBasil Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    Last time hygrometer was calibrated?

Let me add a little here (edited). The times when I couldn't get it up... that just sounds bad. Let me rephrase. The times I couldn't get my RH above or below a certain point have been hygrometer issues. One digital. It appeared to just be stuck where it was. Pulling out the batteries and reinserting solved. Other time was with an analog one. It needed recalibrating. After fixing both times, I had really really messed up my humidity levels by trying to "fix it" thinking my meters were good.
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like walt said. Make sure your hygrometer isn't lying to you. You seem to have plenty of humidity devices and they should keep even a humidor with a bad seal humidified. I'm betting it's your hygrometer. Do the salt test.
  • Options
    New_BootsNew_Boots Posts: 2,651 ✭✭
    I woosh tested both mine today....both passed...In fact, only my cheaper one closed all the way. My RP humi didnt close fully. It wooshes so hard!
  • Options
    New Boots:
    I woosh tested both mine today....both passed...In fact, only my cheaper one closed all the way. My RP humi didnt close fully. It wooshes so hard!
    I'm sure all this wooshing is fun but have you done the dollar bill test?
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    New Boots:
    Is that where you stick it in the door of your humi and see how long it takes before the wife or kids **** it out?
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well..If you know you are calibrated...have you checked the RH in your house? Depending on where you live you could see a lot of fluctuations the house that can wreck havoc on an improperly sealed humidor or one that gets opened quite a lot.
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • Options
    New_BootsNew_Boots Posts: 2,651 ✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    New Boots:
    Thats next...i have to have something to do tomorrow!
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    New Boots:
    Bob Luken:
    New Boots:

While you're doing all this testing you may want to reconsider your choice of RH %. I know, I know, everyone says it should be 70% but I've found that my sticks burn better at 65% and, on the occasional occurrence of it dropping as low as 62% I like it even better. I don't deliberately aim for 62% but if it happens it's a plus in my mind. 70% isn't chiseled in granite, ya know...... Lol
  • Options
    jlmarta:
    New Boots:
    Bob Luken:
    New Boots:

While you're doing all this testing you may want to reconsider your choice of RH %. I know, I know, everyone says it should be 70% but I've found that my sticks burn better at 65% and, on the occasional occurrence of it dropping as low as 62% I like it even better. I don't deliberately aim for 62% but if it happens it's a plus in my mind. 70% isn't chiseled in granite, ya know...... Lol
    Right on, right on.
  • Options
    edelrionycedelrionyc Posts: 361 ✭✭✭
    Maybe the seal on your humidor has gone bad. Do the dollar test or just wet the edge of the humidor with distilled water so that the wood swells up and seal good.
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WaltBasil:
    The times when I couldn't get it up... Pulling out the batteries and reinserting solved.
    I'll have to try that.

First cold weather, I have to watch my humidor like a hawk. Heated air is dry dry dry. Another couple weeks, we'll probably pull out the air humidifier and fire that up. That unit lives in the hall outside the office where my humidor lives, which helps.

It's that, or move to the Caribbean.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    how long did you season your humi for? I found on my desk top units, for it to have any real stability it had to be in the season stage for a minimum of 96 hours... but this is for my enviroment, which the colder it gets the dryer it is for me.

Aj