Home General Discussion
Options

Ice Tea and.............????

jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
I love ice tea. Doesn't matter if it comes from a boxed mix or is scratch made. I will have at least one large glass a day, the colder the better. I usually have it when the day has become peaceful and I am just sitting around with the TV on and playing games with the dogs.
Anyone else..?
If so, what is your favorite smoke to enjoy with the tea..?

Comments

• Options
    jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    jd50ae:
    I love ice tea. Doesn't matter if it comes from a boxed mix or is scratch made. I will have at least one large glass a day, the colder the better. I usually have it when the day has become peaceful and I am just sitting around with the TV on and playing games with the dogs.
    Anyone else..?
    Is Tennessee far enough south that "ice tea" actually means "sweet tea"? I can't remember. Either way, I have found tea goes great with those sticks that have a little bitterness to them, Fuente stuff and the like.
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    jthanatos:
    jd50ae:
    Anyone else..?
    Is Tennessee far enough south that "ice tea" actually means "sweet tea"? I can't remember. Either way, I have found tea goes great with those sticks that have a little bitterness to them, Fuente stuff and the like.
    Yes.

My daughter misses snow from the midwest, but last year we visited some family in the Detroit area and she missed the sweet tea. We went out to eat, and the tea came with a side of sugar. She was all like "Whattttt?"

I love sweet tea, but have cut it out in an attempt to limit sugar intake. I will drink unsweet, but don't like it as much. It's not a daily thing for me any more. Plus it makes me pee.

Now I've paired stuff with hot tea, but surprisingly, never with iced.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    Poopy_JonesPoopy_Jones Posts: 455 ✭✭✭
    I make sun tea every day. Peach flavored and delish!! I don't sweeten it at all and it goes great with any stick I'm having. I'm actually having an El Centurian as I type this and my tea is right beside me. Yummy!!
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Poopy Jones:
    I make sun tea every day. Peach flavored and delish!! I don't sweeten it at all and it goes great with any stick I'm having. I'm actually having an El Centurian as I type this and my tea is right beside me. Yummy!!
    Oh for pity's sake, I had forgotten about sun tea since I moved here. I will remedy that.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    I like Iced Tea as well, and believe it would match up nicely with any cigar as long as it's not too sweet. Excluding any infused cigars, which I very rarely smoke.
  • Options
    Tyland64Tyland64 Posts: 712
    I am a tea freak. I gave up soda/pop along time ago and always drink ice tea. Green, black,orange what types of tea leaves I can get. Smoke a Lucky 13 with a glass of green tea oh so good.
  • Options
    dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    I love the cans of unsweet Xing Tea i get from the gas station... that and a nice couple of machine made Coyotes or White Owls make me feel like the envy of stoners everywhere.

Aj
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I drink iced tea with my daily stogie for most of the summer. I say "most" because I'll sometimes have a beer or my favorite bourbon instead. But you guys from the south have me curious. According to Wikipedia, sweet tea is simply iced tea with sugar in it. I don't usually put sugar in my iced tea, just some lemon (either juice or a squeezed wedge) but what really is "sweet tea" and how do you southern guys make it? Is Wikipedia right? What's the big attraction to it? Inquiring minds want to know.... Lol.
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jlmarta:
    I drink iced tea with my daily stogie for most of the summer. I say "most" because I'll sometimes have a beer or my favorite bourbon instead. But you guys from the south have me curious. According to Wikipedia, sweet tea is simply iced tea with sugar in it. I don't usually put sugar in my iced tea, just some lemon (either juice or a squeezed wedge) but what really is "sweet tea" and how do you southern guys make it? Is Wikipedia right? What's the big attraction to it? Inquiring minds want to know.... Lol.
    When I have money to start buying a few bottles to restock the liquor cabinet (it'll be a while but whatever) I will have to catch up with you Marty, you know your bourbon and would love to pick your brain when the time is right.

On a completely different aside, you feeling better and stronger Marty? Been thinking and praying for at my friend :)
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    90+ Irishman:
    jlmarta:
    When I have money to start buying a few bottles to restock the liquor cabinet (it'll be a while but whatever) I will have to catch up with you Marty, you know your bourbon and would love to pick your brain when the time is right.

On a completely different aside, you feeling better and stronger Marty? Been thinking and praying for at my friend :)

hi, Brett. Thanks for asking about me. It's good to see you back as well.

I just had a checkup by my oncologist and he says things are looking well enough that he doesn't need to see me for four more months. He'll schedule a CT scan for just prior to that appointment to check for 'hot spots' but it appears that they got all the cancer. I'm feeling great but I still tire fairly quickly and I'm not gaining back any of the weight I lost - not that I want to.... Lol. I'd love to chat with you about bourbon or whatever ... Maybe by text would be simpler???

Hope things are well for you and yours, my friend....
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Glad you are feeling well, Marty!

Wikipedia is somewhat accurate. Instead of saying you add sugar to iced tea they should have said you add a F&*k TON of sugar, lol. Seriously, it's damn sweet. It's also damn good. And we always added it while brewing it and it's nice and hot, not like pouring sugar in your already cold iced tea which is just gross.
  • Options
    allsmokedupallsmokedup Posts: 751 ✭✭
    Simplest explanation is that it's a super-saturated solution of sugar with some mild tea and lemon flavour. Great in small doses, potentially diabetes inducing in large doses.
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    what bigharpoon and allsmokedup said. I don't know about a little tea flavor; I think strength of brew is to taste. I don't like lemon, and I usually find that it's added later. I make the tea itself pretty strong. But the key is the sugar is added when the tea is hot, and a lot of it. It supersaturates the solution compared to adding sugar to cold tea. Pour over ice and wait just long enough for ice to melt a good way, diluting the strength of the tea to something more normal but not forcing the sugar out of the solution.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    Thanks very much for clearing that up for me, guys. I now know that, at least for my taste, I've been doing it absolutely right and I'll continue to do so. I don't have much of a 'sweet tooth' so I prefer the lemony acidity of iced tea with lemon. I've also found that it works quite well with just about any stogie I light up.

Thanks again and have a great day...... :-/)
  • Options
    christian1971christian1971 Posts: 467 ✭✭✭
    I enjoy sweet iced tea, such as raspberry or peach with any cigar. I very much dislike anything carbonated like pop or beer. I wish Snapple still made mint iced tea. Used to love that stuff back in the 90s. I dont like making my own iced teas. Just doesnt taste the same.