Home Non Cigar Related
Options

We just took in another Foster Care Dog - I want to keep her.

jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
A Louisiana Catahoula Leopard Dog. Never heard of this breed until the shelter called and said she had 3 days to live. Evidently no sooner had we picked her up for fostering and someone called and wanted to adopt her. Such a pretty dog, and so sweet. Gets along with all of the other dogs and likes us humans. Quiet and very energetic. About 6-8 months old and her name is Calley.

If the adopters have no children I might lie and tell them she is a trouble maker.

Comments

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw one of those catahoulas for the first time about 15 years ago. I'll never forget that dog even though I only say it once. Interesting breed to say the least. I'll be glad when you learn to post pictures JD. LOL
  • Options
    LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    Had to google the breed. Holy mother of crap. THose are gorgeous dogs!
    Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.
  • Options
    Bob Luken:
    I saw one of those catahoulas for the first time about 15 years ago. I'll never forget that dog even though I only say it once. Interesting breed to say the least. I'll be glad when you learn to post pictures JD. LOL

Me to. I don't have "permissions" right now. Waiting period I guess.
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "permissions"?????? Well,.... I don't know why that would be. I don't remember anything like that when I was a fresh newbie. Keep posting. maybe you need to have a certian # of posts. Maybe 50 is the magic number.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    Thanks for fostering dogs, some people wouldn't do what you do so Thanks. Can't wait to see the pics.....trying not to google pics....
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All our dogs are rescued or foundlings. Our boxer, full grown with puppies when she was taken from her owner, was only 28 lbs at that time. They had her chained to a tree, with a water bowl 3 ft too far away to reach. The "owners" had cut the puppies tails off with paper cutting scissors. 2 of the pups died. She's now about 65 lbs, runs like the wind.

We used to have a Catahoula, found him on the side of the road after a tornado, no one claimed him. He lived to be about 17, LOVED to ride in the truck. High energy dog, lot's of fun.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    Amos Umwhat:
    All our dogs are rescued or foundlings. Our boxer, full grown with puppies when she was taken from her owner, was only 28 lbs at that time. They had her chained to a tree, with a water bowl 3 ft too far away to reach. The "owners" had cut the puppies tails off with paper cutting scissors. 2 of the pups died. She's now about 65 lbs, runs like the wind.

We used to have a Catahoula, found him on the side of the road after a tornado, no one claimed him. He lived to be about 17, LOVED to ride in the truck. High energy dog, lot's of fun.

Good on ya.

I don't know what the answer is about miss-treatment of animals, and it needs addressing on a national level. It seems to be so much worse here in the south. Pictures and addresses posted in the local news papers of the bozos harming them would make a good start.

On a higher note (depending on your point of view) Cally is going to her new humans as I type this. Such a sweet little dog. Oh well, can't keep all of them.
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have two rescue dogs and it was the best move we ever made. I'm not sure I could foster dogs, I would want to keep them all! Thanks to those who do, because it is a necessary part of the process, so that animals don't have to be put down.

• Options
    YankeeMan:
    I have two rescue dogs and it was the best move we ever made. I'm not sure I could foster dogs, I would want to keep them all! Thanks to those who do, because it is a necessary part of the process, so that animals don't have to be put down.

Good on you.

And the heck of it is, every single rescue dog we have taken in has been as gentle and sweet as you could possibly want. Like River, who was thrown from a moving car into the Obion River at about 8 weeks old. He came with a broken leg. (which I fixed by stepping on his foot, accidentally, when he was about 8 months old). He now lives under my desk , never fights, loves everybody and will smile when petted. My hat is off to anyone who rescues a dog, regardless if from a pound or found on the street.
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jd50ae:
    YankeeMan:

Good on you.

And the heck of it is, every single rescue dog we have taken in has been as gentle and sweet as you could possibly want. Like River, who was thrown from a moving car into the Obion River at about 8 weeks old. He came with a broken leg. (which I fixed by stepping on his foot, accidentally, when he was about 8 months old). He now lives under my desk , never fights, loves everybody and will smile when petted. My hat is off to anyone who rescues a dog, regardless if from a pound or found on the street.
    Having my head planted firmly in my butt, I missed where you're from. By coincidence, we got our dogs from a Tenn. shelter. We were living in Ithaca, NY at the time and they brought 27 puppies up from Tenn to Syracuse, NY to be adopted. We took two of them. All 27 wound up being adopted between stops in Syracuse and western Mass.

• Options
    YankeeMan:
    jd50ae:
    YankeeMan:

Good on you.

Having my head planted firmly in my butt, I missed where you're from. By coincidence, we got our dogs from a Tenn. shelter. We were living in Ithaca, NY at the time and they brought 27 puppies up from Tenn to Syracuse, NY to be adopted. We took two of them. All 27 wound up being adopted between stops in Syracuse and western Mass.

I must have missed this post. There used to be a lady with her own "reality" show about her work rescuing dogs here in TN (she kept a lot of them and fostered out a bunch). They also saw a vet to make sure they were healthy. Anyway, they would post them on line and when enough people came forward they would load up a truck with cages full of the rescued animals and drive up and down the east coast placing them with their new humans. I suspect that this is how you got yours. Thanks for adopting them.
  • Options
    WaltBasilWaltBasil Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    Both of our dogs are rescued. The first one, Dolly, chihuahua-jack russel mix, we adopted in 2009. 3 years old then. Scared of everything but women. I know she stayed with a foster family, and they also helped adopt them out. I could tell the foster family really loved her, and Dolly loved them back - a mom and a couple of kids. It was almost a sad experience, like I was taking Dolly away from them. The other one is a poodle maltese mix, adopted this year. These two get along fantastically, but are like poles apart in character.
  • Options
    WaltBasil:
    Both of our dogs are rescued. The first one, Dolly, chihuahua-jack russel mix, we adopted in 2009. 3 years old then. Scared of everything but women. I know she stayed with a foster family, and they also helped adopt them out. I could tell the foster family really loved her, and Dolly loved them back - a mom and a couple of kids. It was almost a sad experience, like I was taking Dolly away from them. The other one is a poodle maltese mix, adopted this year. These two get along fantastically, but are like poles apart in character.

Strange, but most chihuahuas I have come into contact with are the same way, love women hate men. I did spend some time with a friends chihuahua and it only took about 5 mins for her to warm up to me but it was all teeth and snarls when we were introduced. I always wondered if they were bred for that reason.

And thanks for taking the dogs in.
  • Options
    OK... time to share kid pictures... My real one is all growed up and gone... but here are some pics of one of my current "kids."

When Dolly was a young padawan, before turning to the dark side.

And after turning to the dark side...

She's actually playing in those two mean pictures... She'll get one of her toys and drop them in front of me until I try to take them. Then she attempts to keep me from taking them. Fun times. She looks so ferocious though!

there appears to be issues with posting pics from flickr now... have to troubleshoot later. Have to do some work...

EDITED TO FIX PICTURE ISSUES

• Options
    WaltBasil:
    OK... time to share kid pictures... My real one is all growed up and gone... but here are some pics of one of my current "kids."

She's actually playing in those two mean pictures... She'll get one of her toys and drop them in front of me until I try to take them. Then she attempts to keep me from taking them. Fun times. She looks so ferocious though!

there appears to be issues with posting pics from flickr now... have to troubleshoot later. Have to do some work...

Pictures..I noticed some problems when I tried to re size...Christmas rush?
  • Options
    WaltBasil:

EDITED TO FIX PICTURE ISSUES

Pictures are fixed...