Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Baby on the way!

Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
I dropped a hint here and there and told one or two in PM, but I wanted to officially announce that my wife and I are expecting a baby!! I kept it under wraps a long time, so the due date is soon, January 8th. As we approach I'll do a due date contest in the TP&B thread, but it's a bit early to start that now. Anyway, it will be our first baby and we're both excited and nervous to welcome a new addition. To the typical questions, it's a boy, name will be James Royce (JR) Light. Oh, and yes, I'm trying to log some extra sleep now to have a store of it for later. ;D

I also need a couple suggestions for cigars. Have some ideas of my own, but thought I'd ask around here as well:
1) A box to age to celebrate for birthdays. Needs to be a box of 20+ so I can have 2 left when he's 18 so we can each have one.
2) Something to share on/around the night of his birth with people who might be smoking their first and only. Something other than "It's a boy!" Not that there's anything wrong with that, it's just not my style!
^Troll: DO NOT FEED.

Comments

• Options
    New_BootsNew_Boots Posts: 2,651 ✭✭
    I've not spent enough time with my hands in a humi to properly answer your questions, aside from I'd get a box of 25. That will give you 1/yr through 17...and you and him 1/yr through 21. Just think how great that cigar will be, that you've aged for 21 years!

Aside from that CONGRATS! Kids are great.....a real pain in the rear, but great. I couldnt get through life without mine.
  • Options
    LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    Congrats man!!!! I kinda figured with some of the hints you dropped. Lol :) that's super awesome!
    Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cogratulations! :)
  • Options
    Congrats!
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats Ken!! I got that hint, it was great.
    Get a box of AKA cigars to hand out, that seems more your style.
    To buy and store?? Padron, FDLA, MF... Your favorite!
  • Options
    jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    Congrats. That is really awesome.
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never had a kid of my own, but we have 2 grand kids in "kinship" care. Never ceases to please us when they report home with all A's from school.

Never known a father to be that did not go through varying stages of awe, fear and a total loss of his mental focus. Down right bumbling mass of jitters and incoherency at times.

My wife and I both send our congrats, and the very best wishes for the new life you are about to bring into the world.
  • Options
    roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    Oh the fun you will have! Congrats to both of yall.
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    Congratulations Ken, that's wonderful news. Are these first time smokers? If so, my go to is the Perdomo Champagne, whose name coincides with the occassion. For the box for you, symbolically the My Father line would be a good choice. All depends on your budget sir. Congrats.
  • Options
    New Boots:
    Just think how great that cigar will be, that you've aged for 21 years!.
    Yeah, man, if the kid's half as good as the cigar at that age I'll be a happy dad! LoL Thanks!
  • Options
    james40:
    Congratulations Ken, that's wonderful news. Are these first time smokers? If so, my go to is the Perdomo Champagne, whose name coincides with the occassion. For the box for you, symbolically the My Father line would be a good choice. All depends on your budget sir. Congrats.
    The Champagne! Great idea!

Shizz, I think AKA's would be too much kick@ss for these peeps, unfortunately. Though maybe the connie...any idea if it's got a kick like the MoW Virtue "new age connie" type deal or if it's mild strength?
  • Options
    Thanks for the congrats everyone, I'm definitely more excited than nervous at this point. I'm sure the second after the awe wears off I'll **** a brick though lol
  • Options
    allsmokedupallsmokedup Posts: 751 ✭✭
    Congrats! Get the Don Pepin 10th Anniversary Limited Edition. Whew, what a mouthful. Box count is only 14 though.

For sharing, maybe something in a slightly larger than cigarillo format, but shorter than a robusto. I guess petite-corona? It'll make you less likely to strangle the non-smokers after they puff a few times and then declare that they're done.
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BIG Congrats to you and your wife Ken!!!

I too would suggest a connie for your celebratory box of smokes --- something mild, should suit all palettes and smaller format is probably best too. I'd vote robusto that everyone should be able to enjoy those.
    Maybe Cabaiguan by Tat, or something EPC???
    Or just pick something you enjoy....after all, it is your celebration

And as far as aging a box ---- My Father, good cigar and the name just seems right for the occasion.
    If not, how about a box of CCs? I always hear how they age well --- but I'd have no idea on what brand to go with.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Congrats!

To celebrate a Gold Medal winning accomplishment, you could go with either the CAO Gold or 5 Vegas Gold. The CAO comes in a corona and 5V in a robusto. Both also come in more cigarillo type sizes as well. If you want to celebrate a little more generously, AVO or Oliva CT Reserve would be good for the neversmokeds and non-smokers.

I really can't speak about it much from experience, but aging opens up so many possibilities-get something classic and well established or try to age something that might be amazing in 20 years?. Padron, Hemingway, Ashton Heritage, splurge on Davidoff Millennium, TatBlack. These are cigars I would consider starting an aging humi with, anyway, and some of them, like the Heritage, sound pretty to the point of what you want to do.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    curtpickcurtpick Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭
    Congrats ken !
    Family, Friends, Golf, Cigars, Fine Whiskey, Good beer.... is there anything else ?  Follow on instagram @crguy1961
  • Options
    EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations Ken. Great idea to buy a box and share the last one with your son!
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • Options
    Congratulations to you and your wife, Ken
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! I wish I could take credit for the idea to buy and age a box. I wish more I could remember who did it first to give credit where it's due...
  • Options
    Glock1975Glock1975 Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ken congrats bro, your whole life is about to change bro, u will be a different man once u lay your eyes on that baby. Really congrats to u and your wife. Fixed it
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    This is effing awesome. I see a pass in your future
  • Options
    Rain:
    This is effing awesome. I see a pass in your future
    Thanks!! Mayyybe...not a bad idea...
  • Options
    RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations sir!
  • Options
    ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    Congrats brother this is fantastic news. May God watch over and protect you, your wife and you son. Fatherhood is awesome.
  • Options
    firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    That's friggin awesome bro!
  • Options
    Poker_SlobPoker_Slob Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mrs. Slob and I would like to send a big congrats to you and your wife Ken! Hope all is well and please keep us posted.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations. Buy all the cigars you can now, because pretty soon, it will be all about the baby. Not that that's a bad thing.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    Thanks for all the congratulations, guys!! It really means a lot, the shower was yesterday and there was so much love and family (and estrogen. oh god the estrogen!) in the house it was bursting at the seams (I escaped to a bar with husbands of the women that came after about 30 minutes!). It's fantastic to see something positive galvanize family and friends like this, it too often only happens surrounding a death or tragedy.
  • Options
    SasquatchSasquatch Posts: 307 ✭✭✭
    Congrats!!!!
  • Options
    BombayBombay Posts: 1,207
    Congrats Ken!