Home General Discussion

Confession Time - I liked a Gurkha

prosspross Posts: 874 ✭✭✭
So I was handed a Gurkha Black Dragon Fury Torpedo. Going in with very low expectations, I lit up and gave it a whirl.
Long story short, great burn and nice flavor profile. I enjoyed it thoroughly.
Just goes to show you to go in with an open mind I guess.

Comments

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've recently found in the bottom of my humidor a couple of well rested Gurkha Doble Maduros that I have an open mind for :)
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I liked the Centurian when it was expensive. I have one left.
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found one in the bottom of my humi that I enjoyed. Maybe because I didn't know it was a Gurkha while I was smoking it
  • WaltBasilWaltBasil Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    I've been enjoying the hell out of those Gurkha overruns.
  • New_BootsNew_Boots Posts: 2,651 ✭✭
    I have one "Legends" laying in mine. I'm going to let it hang out in the humi for a while, and see what I think of him.
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Gurkhas aren't necessarily bad smokes. They're just overpriced at retail and tend to blow up and burn badly. But if you luck out with one that smokes well, it can be quite tasty.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • WaltBasilWaltBasil Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    Ken Light:
    Gurkhas aren't necessarily bad smokes. They're just overpriced at retail and tend to blow up and burn badly. But if you luck out with one that smokes well, it can be quite tasty.

I totally agree. I had one that tasted so good, but construction issues made this thing literally just come unravelled. It was the only one I had. Didn't want to lose out on that taste. So I quickly cut up some copy paper to wrap it around the cigar to hold it together. Smoked it that way. I'd slowly move the paper down as it ashed up. I probably looked like some desperate hobo relighting used cigarette butts on the street. haha.. It was really tasty. Can't even remember which one it was now.
  • macs-smokesmacs-smokes Posts: 587
    I haven't smoked a lot of Gurkas but I have had the construction issues. I enjoyed the flavors not the prices. If the construction quality improved and price was reasonable... I'd be willing to give them another try... just not worth it to me now.
  • JHeweyJHewey Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭
    The Gurkha Cellar Reserve is one of my Fav smokes.. But i will say other than that one i haven't tried many.
  • jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    JHewey:
    The Gurkha Cellar Reserve is one of my Fav smokes.. But i will say other than that one i haven't tried many.
    Like the Cellar Reserve and the Symphony.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Personally I just stay away from Gurkha! The owner doesn't even smoke cigars so how can he tell if his product is good? Even if it is the qc is a 50/50 and well I'm all good
    Money can't buy taste
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still have a few handfuls, I can't bring myself to toss em and don't feel right gifting or bombing with something that has a better than 50% fail rate eventually I'll smoke thru em. I pulled out a centurion the other day when the weather was crappy and was pleasantly surprised, almost perfect burn and good crisp clean flavors.
  • I'm probably the only oddity here. Gurkha is my favorite brand. Been smoking tons of them for almost 12 years. I've had several that split or burned off...but a majority of them (especially 6+ years ago) were just fine. I've had very few that I don't like. But that's just my two cents. If anybody has any they'd like to chuck or trade please let me know. I finally got a regular income and am restocking my humidor :D! The bombs I received helped tide me over and I thank those who did again!
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    pross:
    So I was handed a Gurkha Black Dragon Fury Torpedo. Going in with very low expectations, I lit up and gave it a whirl.
    Long story short, great burn and nice flavor profile. I enjoyed it thoroughly.
    Just goes to show you to go in with an open mind I guess.

I've liked lots of Gurkha's. They usually are made from great tobaccos, that's what makes it so frustrating when they blow up!
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • New_BootsNew_Boots Posts: 2,651 ✭✭
    Ok, I just ordered a "Beauty" and a "warpig"
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's o.k. Paul the first hurdle was admitting it... :)
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Personally I just stay away from Gurkha!
    This. I couldn't possibly bring myself to spend money on a questionable brand when there are so many brands that I know are amazing. Why gamble when there are sure bets?
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • New Boots:
    Ok, I just ordered a "Beauty" and a "warpig"
    You should like both. Buddy got me a Warpig as well for my birthday. Was pretty good.
  • I have never had a bad Gurkha. well not yet anyway
  • You will enjoy the Beauty its great with your morning coffee. It has a creamy yet bold flavor with a vanilla finish
  • EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never tried a Gurkha. Almost bought a sample with one in it the other day but didn't pull the trigger.
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • twistedstemtwistedstem Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i still have one or two of the vintages in my humi,and i actually like the seduction...
    no matter where you go, there you are.

• prosspross Posts: 874 ✭✭✭
    Bigshizza:
    It's o.k. Paul the first hurdle was admitting it... :)

Lol. What is the next step. Making amends? I guess I will write a letter to Jose Padron apologizing for my transgression
  • CvilleECvilleE Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭
    onestrangeone:
    I still have a few handfuls, I can't bring myself to toss em and don't feel right gifting or bombing with something that has a better than 50% fail rate eventually I'll smoke thru em. I pulled out a centurion the other day when the weather was crappy and was pleasantly surprised, almost perfect burn and good crisp clean flavors.
    I'm with you on this one...i have liked the gurkha's I've had, and used to bomb the ones here that was interested in trying the ones i had. But after sending one to jj (a blue steel i think) that went horribly wrong, i stopped and will smoke thru the ones i have left on my own. Hate sending out bad smokes, so dont want to chance it anymore, and pray with age i can enjoy the few i have left.