Home General Discussion

Knob creek

reggie713reggie713 Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭
So I'm thinking I'm gonna pick up a bottle of knob creek. Just wondering if any of you have tried these, and which one is the best...in your opinion? I'm thinking of the rye or maybe the smoked maple

Comments

• WaltBasilWaltBasil Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    I love KC. The regular small batch is good, but the single barrel is to die for. Locally, about $40 for the single Barrel. Haven't tried any flavored.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My single bad experience with single barrel whiskey of any kind made a believer out of me. I'll buy small batch stuff but never again a single barrel offering.

I currently have a bottle of Knob Creek in my looker locker. I like it quite well.
  • jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    jlmarta:
    My single bad experience with single barrel whiskey of any kind made a believer out of me. I'll buy small batch stuff but never again a single barrel offering.

I currently have a bottle of Knob Creek in my looker locker. I like it quite well.
    Pretty much this. I will buy single barrel, but only if I have tasted from that barrel before buying. Even small batch stuff can be hit and miss year to year, but a lot less likely to be outright "bad".

On the Knob Creek front, it is not one of my favorites, but they do make solid whiskey, especially if you like a little spice in your drink. The Rye on the other hand... good in cocktails, not the best solo act.
  • New_BootsNew_Boots Posts: 2,651 ✭✭
    Not knob creek, but ive had a bottle of jd single barrel sitting here for a few years now, untouched
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    It's the first sipping whiskey I tried. Not bad but if you're going to get the more expensive version, I think you're much better off getting Blantons.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought "single barrel" offerings were only offered that way because the master distiller has sampled it and declared that that particular barrel is exceptional and should be offered as is. I guess it all comes down to personal preference.
    Bob Luken:
    I thought "single barrel" offerings were only offered that way because the master distiller has sampled it and declared that that particular barrel is exceptional and should be offered as is. I guess it all comes down to personal preference.
    Ish... this is more true with smaller brands than bigger brands. Also, exceptional to the master distiller doesn't always mean exceptional to your taste buds. There may be some very unique flavor or combination that really grabs a guy who lives and breathes whiskey, but for us lowly folk not much appealing. But the main issue of single barrel is a consistancy vs price one. By its very nature, single barrel expressions cannot be consistant... yet the prices always are. So, what was a delicious deal out of one barrel may only be an overpriced oddity from another, thus the risk of buying without trying.
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jthanatos:
    Bob Luken:
    Ish... this is more true with smaller brands than bigger brands. Also, exceptional to the master distiller doesn't always mean exceptional to your taste buds. There may be some very unique flavor or combination that really grabs a guy who lives and breathes whiskey, but for us lowly folk not much appealing. But the main issue of single barrel is a consistancy vs price one. By its very nature, single barrel expressions cannot be consistant... yet the prices always are. So, what was a delicious deal out of one barrel may only be an overpriced oddity from another, thus the risk of buying without trying.
    Ton of truth and wisdom right here ^^^^
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
    90+ Irishman:
    jthanatos:
    Bob Luken:

Right on. My introduction to single barrel bourbon was a bottle of Elmer T. Lee, and it was excellent. So much so that, when I finished it I went looking for more. In my ignorance, I failed to recognize that 'single barrel' meant just that. But, when I found some more ETL single barrel, I bought two bottles - since the first one had been so good. The end of a long story cut short - I now had TWO bottles of a really crappy bourbon that was too expensive to just pour down the drain. LESSON LEARNED!! :-/)
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    knob creek isn't bad, but the best whiskey I've ever had was woodruff reserve four wood.

"Long ashes my friends."

jlmarta:
    90+ Irishman:
    jthanatos:
    Bob Luken:

Right on. My introduction to single barrel bourbon was a bottle of Elmer T. Lee, and it was excellent. So much so that, when I finished it I went looking for more. In my ignorance, I failed to recognize that 'single barrel' meant just that. But, when I found some more ETL single barrel, I bought two bottles - since the first one had been so good. The end of a long story cut short - I now had TWO bottles of a really crappy bourbon that was too expensive to just pour down the drain. LESSON LEARNED!! :-/)
    Things like this make the whole situation so frustrating. Both Elmer T Lee, and its sister brands Blanton's and Eagle Rare have some amazing single barrel offerings. So much so, that I usually have no problem suggesting Blanton's to a new Bourbon drinker. And with the size of Buffalo Trace behind it, and all the experimental stuff they do, you would think they could keep the single barrels fairly consistant, with odd and unique stuff going into one of the many other labels they own, like the expermental collection or even branching out to another bottling. Yet unenjoyable or underwhelming bottles of these brands still show up from time to time. Like I said before, frustrating.
    jthanatos:
    jlmarta:
    90+ Irishman:
    jthanatos:
    Bob Luken:

Things like this make the whole situation so frustrating. Both Elmer T Lee, and its sister brands Blanton's and Eagle Rare have some amazing single barrel offerings. So much so, that I usually have no problem suggesting Blanton's to a new Bourbon drinker. And with the size of Buffalo Trace behind it, and all the experimental stuff they do, you would think they could keep the single barrels fairly consistant, with odd and unique stuff going into one of the many other labels they own, like the expermental collection or even branching out to another bottling. Yet unenjoyable or underwhelming bottles of these brands still show up from time to time. Like I said before, frustrating.
    Bourbon and rye is something I definitely want some more exposure on, since I will be spending time with some of y'all in Chicago, I will have to ask your opinions and try a few glasses there. Sound like a plan James?
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
    90+ Irishman:
    jthanatos:
    jlmarta:
    90+ Irishman:
    jthanatos:
    Bob Luken:

Bourbon and rye is something I definitely want some more exposure on, since I will be spending time with some of y'all in Chicago, I will have to ask your opinions and try a few glasses there. Sound like a plan James?
    Anytime. Just cut me off when I get going. It is a subject I can talk on for way too long. What time are you hitting Chi-town?
    jthanatos:
    90+ Irishman:
    jthanatos:
    jlmarta:
    90+ Irishman:
    jthanatos:
    Bob Luken:

Anytime. Just cut me off when I get going. It is a subject I can talk on for way too long. What time are you hitting Chi-town?
    No worries same is true for me on pretty much any and all topics, I just enjoy chatting. Land in Chicago at 4:56pm local time (CST) so I will be ready for a stick, dinner and booze at 4:57pm local time lol. Oh and you forgot this....

90+ Irishman:
    jthanatos:
    90+ Irishman:
    jthanatos:
    jlmarta:
    90+ Irishman:
    jthanatos:
    Bob Luken:

No worries same is true for me on pretty much any and all topics, I just enjoy chatting. Land in Chicago at 4:56pm local time (CST) so I will be ready for a stick, dinner and booze at 4:57pm local time lol. Oh and you forgot this....

Sounds like a plan. As far as food goes, I made reservations for 8 people at 8 pm at Gibson's Steakhouse with the idea that any hungry folk that Friday can show up there.

Sounds killer, and sorry for the partial thread jack, I'm leaving now. Man my name should have been ThreadJacker3000 instead of Juinn.
  • reggie713reggie713 Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭
    90+ Irishman:
    Sounds killer, and sorry for the partial thread jack, I'm leaving now. Man my name should have been ThreadJacker3000 instead of Juinn.
    It's all good man, I'm learning a lot! Besides I put it in the wrong category anyway
    reggie713:
    90+ Irishman:
    It's all good man, I'm learning a lot! Besides I put it in the wrong category anyway
    Hahaha all good Reggie :)
  • jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
    One day I had some Knob Creek and Buffalo Trace side by side. so close in taste for me that I am an avid Buffalo Trace guy. Now for me, just a step up is Woodford Reserve but all pretty darn close.
  • CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    I've tried just about every type of Whiskey, Scotch and spirits around and always, always come back to Drambuie. It's sweet enough to keep it interesting and powerful enough to kick the crap out of cold or flu. I was introduced to this about 30 years ago and it's been my all time favorite and with cigars....mmmmmmmmm. It truly is one of the best flavored spirits around and I've tried so many that try to capture 'flavored' whiskey, scotch, etc. and it always tastes like somebody came in and added the sweetness on top...kinda like when they add flavored smoke to sauces. JMHO on this spirit as those who like the others then it's all about tastes of our own. Meanwhile...that reminds me to buy another gallon of Drambuie this week.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Drambuie a liqueur ? My memory tells me it's a scotch-based liqueur.
  • allsmokedupallsmokedup Posts: 751 ✭✭
    Heather honey and scotch.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jlmarta:
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Drambuie a liqueur ? My memory tells me it's a scotch-based liqueur.
    Good memory.
    From a Gaelic phrase meaning "The drink that satisfies."
    Scotch malt whisky, heather honey, herbs and spices, to be precise.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Had a manhattan (or was it three) made with Knob Creek this evening. Very nice.
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
    Echambers:
    Had a manhattan (or was it three) made with Knob Creek this evening. Very nice.

I'll have to try that. I'm about due for a manhattan transfusion, anyway. Thanks for the idea..... :-/)
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭✭✭
    0patience:
    jlmarta:
    Good memory.
    Rusty Nail is a very good drink with Drambuie and scotch (they are both actually considered scotch though). Knocks some of the sweetness out of the Drambuie. Personally, I am a bourbon drinker. Buffalo Trace can stand up to a majority of the higher priced brands and is half the cost.
    rsherman24:
    0patience:
    jlmarta:
    Good memory.
    Rusty Nail is a very good drink with Drambuie and scotch (they are both actually considered scotch though). Knocks some of the sweetness out of the Drambuie. Personally, I am a bourbon drinker. Buffalo Trace can stand up to a majority of the higher priced brands and is half the cost.
    If you like Drambuie and especially Rusty Nails, Drambuie makes a 15 year expression that is very tasty, but the whisky is much bolder and stands up very well to the herbs and honey. Great after dinner or on a hot afternoon.
    jlmarta:
    You are correct...my liver will attest to that.
    jthanatos:
    rsherman24:
    0patience:
    jlmarta:
    Good memory.
    If you like Drambuie and especially Rusty Nails, Drambuie makes a 15 year expression that is very tasty, but the whisky is much bolder and stands up very well to the herbs and honey. Great after dinner or on a hot afternoon.
    Drambuie 15 Year Old Speyside Whisky Liqueur.....oh myyyyyyyy! I've seen it and it's usually in the $60 cost...worth it but I tend to buy my expensive liquors in the VI where it's about half the cost.

Buffalo Trace.....hmmmm......looks like I need to drink outside the box here and grab a little bottle for test purposes.
  • reggie713reggie713 Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭
    Went to my locAl liquor store tonight after work. They were sold out of the knob creek smoked maple I had decided on! So I bought a bottle of crown royal maple