Home General Discussion
Options

Humi safe sealants?

LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
Are there any? I know that you can't use checmical heavy anything in a humi to avoid tainting flavors and making the humi smell like caulking. Is there something flexible enough to expand and contract with the cedar lining while sealing up any seams and not making the humi smell like a freshly installed bathtub? A friends humi seems to be having issues with his humi jar drying out extremely quickly. He is using a dr. Rh jar and fluid. Plus it's kinda a curious point to myself as well.
Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.

Comments

• Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most likely the humi was never seasoned right to begin with which is why it's loosing rH. Either it got too wet and warped slightly, or it never got wet enough and is just sucking up moisture like Courtney Love soaks up coke and alcohol. I would recommend getting a Boveda seasoning packet and let that sit in the humi unoccupied for a week or ten days and then try seeing if it will be stable from there on out. Bet you will get surprisingly favorable results.
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LiquidChaos66:
    Are there any? I know that you can't use checmical heavy anything in a humi to avoid tainting flavors and making the humi smell like caulking. Is there something flexible enough to expand and contract with the cedar lining while sealing up any seams and not making the humi smell like a freshly installed bathtub? A friends humi seems to be having issues with his humi jar drying out extremely quickly. He is using a dr. Rh jar and fluid. Plus it's kinda a curious point to myself as well.
    I would find out where it's leaking from first, is it a glass top? any kind of sealent you put on the cedar WILL discolor it, I would consider relineing it myself, that being said there are several low and 0 VOC sealents that will work however they all have some order untill fully cured. If you try I would suggest leaving the Humi open for a few weeks.
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FYI if you can find where it's leaking from like Onestrangeone said, you can also use neoprene gasket material or weatherstripping. Works well and I've used it myself with great results too.
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    How do you locate a leak in a humi?
  • Options
    brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    90+ Irishman:
    FYI if you can find where it's leaking from like Onestrangeone said, you can also use neoprene gasket material or weatherstripping. Works well and I've used it myself with great results too.
    i used weather stripping for the seal on lid of a friends humidor....it worked great.
  • Options
    onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A good way to start is to put a flashlight in it and turn out the lights.
  • Options
    His is a glass top. Would you recommend covering the glass with black paper to help with finding the poor seal light sources?
  • Options
    macs-smokesmacs-smokes Posts: 587
    I would suggest a book or blanket that will not let light through... even black paper will allow some through... the dollar bill test works as well. If that does not work I would open the humi and carefully silicon seal the glass. This would be my first suspect as well. Then will have to allow the smell to dissipate and check the seasoning anyway. Just my 2¢