Home General Discussion
Options

Heading to Afghanistan and have a question about cigar storage

I am heading to Afghanistan for 6(+) months in Kabul. I am going to pack some cigars and am wondering if there is anthing magical about using a Herf-a-dor or will a tupperware type container with a small jar of humidification beads work the same?

-j

Comments

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First of all, thank you for your service to our country.

Tupperware would be fine, just not as durable as a herf-a-dor. And I would also suggest a 5" x 3.5" Boveda packet as your humidification device. You can choose them in different RH levels and they last a long time. (I would take two. One in the tupperware with your cigars and a second one sealed up tight in a ziplock as a replacement for the first one if it should it dry out.) I believe any gel jar type device will lead to over-humidification in a sealed container.
  • Options
    twistedstemtwistedstem Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    First of all, thank you for your service to our country.

Tupperware would be fine, just not as durable as a herf-a-dor. And I would also suggest a 5" x 3.5" Boveda packet as your humidification device. You can choose them in different RH levels and they last a long time. (I would take two. One in the tupperware with your cigars and a second one sealed up tight in a ziplock as a replacement for the first one if it should it dry out.) I believe any gel jar type device will lead to over-humidification in a sealed container.
    +1 on everything said here brother.thank you indeed for your service.ive found that as long they are are air tight with some humidification tupperware works great.be safe brother!!!
    no matter where you go, there you are.

• Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hanibal:
    I am heading to Afghanistan for 6(+) months in Kabul. I am going to pack some cigars and am wondering if there is anthing magical about using a Herf-a-dor or will a tupperware type container with a small jar of humidification beads work the same? -j

When are going..?
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On second thought, don't ship cigars in direct contact with the Boveda packet. This way there's not even a remote chance that your Boveda packet would rupture or your gel jar would seep out onto your cigars during transit. I have heard that Bovedas can burst in shipment and it has been speculated that high altitude flights can burst them. But at any rate don't risk shipping cigars in direct contact with any humidification device that uses a lot of moisture as this could spill on your cigars. If you fill your tupperware container full of well humidified cigars then they should not need any extra humidification while in transit for even a week or so.
  • Options
    New_BootsNew_Boots Posts: 2,651 ✭✭
    If you are leaving soon your COC should have already given you a shipping address. I'd ship them to yourself rather than carry them. It's much easier to ship them, than it is to carry. Your carry bags will get the crap beat out of them during transit.
  • Options
    dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    Good Luck! And thank your for your service!

Aj
  • Options
    CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    Hanibal:
    I am heading to Afghanistan for 6(+) months in Kabul. I am going to pack some cigars and am wondering if there is anthing magical about using a Herf-a-dor or will a tupperware type container with a small jar of humidification beads work the same? -j
    Herfadors work great...they sell well and the bigger the better Herf A Dor the better since you'll be in a region of the planet where temps can be extreme. Tupperware works great and beads or KL will work for ya just as well. Thanks for your service and keep your head down...we want you back ASAP.
  • Options
    If I go with a tupperware type container would it be worthwhile to stick in one of the cedar dividers from my humidor to help with humidity control or would it not have any impact?

-j
  • Options
    CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    Hanibal:
    If I go with a tupperware type container would it be worthwhile to stick in one of the cedar dividers from my humidor to help with humidity control or would it not have any impact?

-j
    Put cedar into your tupperware as it will help regulate RH. What you will try and deal with is the temperature extremes going into that area of the world and tupperware typically doesn't do well in heat extremes....that's where you'd need a larger type of humidor ( wood ) to help keep a constant temp. If you know that you can keep your humidor/tupperware in a friendly environment then you should be fine. I tend to line the bottom and sides of my tupperadors with cedar sheets...works great.