Home General Discussion
Options

Hot water heater room.

jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
Constant temp and a little bit humid. What a great place to store cigars....I am a genius.

Simple shelf about head high and there they sit.

Comments

• Options
    dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    is yours inside access or outside access?

Aj
  • Options
    dr_frankenstein56:
    is yours inside access or outside access?

Aj

Inside, and the door is in my room, very convenient. Was actually leaving the door open in the morning to take the chill off when the light in my head went off. Had not even had a cup of coffee....
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you measured the high and low temps in this room? You don't want temps too much above 70. Also the RH? The water heater may be affecting the RH. If I were you I'd carefully check these numbers. I've got a small weather station that records high and low temp and humidity fluctuations. If you have one of these you could stick it in there for a few days and make sure it's a good idea. Or just stick your digital hygrometer in there and check it every few hours for a few days.
  • Options
    Bob Luken:
    Have you measured the high and low temps in this room? You don't want temps too much above 70. Also the RH? The water heater may be affecting the RH. If I were you I'd carefully check these numbers. I've got a small weather station that records high and low temp and humidity fluctuations. If you have one of these you could stick it in there for a few days and make sure it's a good idea. Or just stick your digital hygrometer in there and check it every few hours for a few days.

Checked right after the idea came to me. Stays between 70 and 80 and the moisture stays right around 65. All my smokes are (for now) in humi-bags and I think safe.
  • Options
    dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    id only really be afraid of the summer, kids, wife, neighbor all decide to take a shower and kick that water heater on..... might get oftly hot in there.
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jd50ae:
    Bob Luken:

Checked right after the idea came to me. Stays between 70 and 80 and the moisture stays right around 65. All my smokes are (for now) in humi-bags and I think safe.
    Above 70 degrees you will encourage beetles (if eggs are present) to start hatching.
  • Options
    Bob Luken:
    jd50ae:
    Bob Luken:

Above 70 degrees you will encourage beetles (if eggs are present) to start hatching.

Moved the shelf 3 feet lower and the temp is lower with less fluctuation....checked it over a 2 day period, before and after use(shower). And the humidity stays at about 70. I think it will be OK until I get a proper set up. Thanks for the input.
  • Options
    blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    Maybe ok as a temporary solution, but definitely get a good humi seasoned and set up. Long term, I can tell you from experience, storing cigars at, near, under, or anywhere around the house where you have the potential for a leak or broken pipe to completely flood your investment while you're at work or away from home is just dancing with the devil. I used my basement for 6 months because summer temps were 65 constant. Well one day I came home and had 6 inches of water in the floor, just a mere half inch below my humis. Thousands, Cuban, NC, years of acquired stash. Luckily I grabbed them a half hour before water levels could ruin me. Just advice to keep in mind.
  • Options
    blurr:
    Maybe ok as a temporary solution, but definitely get a good humi seasoned and set up. Long term, I can tell you from experience, storing cigars at, near, under, or anywhere around the house where you have the potential for a leak or broken pipe to completely flood your investment while you're at work or away from home is just dancing with the devil. I used my basement for 6 months because summer temps were 65 constant. Well one day I came home and had 6 inches of water in the floor, just a mere half inch below my humis. Thousands, Cuban, NC, years of acquired stash. Luckily I grabbed them a half hour before water levels could ruin me. Just advice to keep in mind.

Yes, it is only a temporary "fix", there is nowhere else to keep them at present. All double wrapped with humi packs and what ever cedar I have collected.
  • Options
    jd50ae:
    I think it will be OK until I get a proper set up. Thanks for the input.
    A used cooler from goodwill (that seals well) and a couple of Boveda packs would do the trick as long as temps don't go over 70. It doesn't have to be pretty or expensive to be proper. The cooler/boveda setup should do a pretty good job if your temp is 70 or below. You want to avoid temp/RH shifts as much as possible. Think stability. Dependent on airflow and positioning, etc - with a water heater in a small room, the most likely preferred place is probably the floor. Obviously, that's only a WAG.
  • Options
    I am now the proud owner of a humidor and a cooler so there are no more problems of where to store them. Christmas came early.