Home General Discussion
Options

Cigar aficionado

EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
I think the next issue of Cigar Aficionado will have their list of the top 25 cigars for 2013. Any predictions on which non-Cuban sticks will make the top 10? My first prediction is the Arturo Fuente Hemingway.
-- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."

Comments

• Options
    Probably nothing that even deserves to be in the top 25. All I know is that I'll take a 7 dollar El Baton over an 18 dollar toro Opus X anyday. But honestly I don't really know. Nica Rustica by Drew Estate may find it's way in there...hopefully. Or something from Kristoff or Room 101.
  • Options
    curtpickcurtpick Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭
    Jasonc1982:
    Probably nothing that even deserves to be in the top 25. All I know is that I'll take a 7 dollar El Baton over an 18 dollar toro Opus X anyday. But honestly I don't really know. Nica Rustica by Drew Estate may find it's way in there...hopefully. Or something from Kristoff or Room 101.
    Dont count on CA to rate any "true" boutique !
    Family, Friends, Golf, Cigars, Fine Whiskey, Good beer.... is there anything else ?  Follow on instagram @crguy1961
  • Options
    New_BootsNew_Boots Posts: 2,651 ✭✭
    Now, we all know...that the 5-6 pages of a CA magazine that arn't just an add, are going to be dedicated to those who have a better cigar...and by better cigar I mean those who pay more money to have the review written.
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    I predict it will be the 25 highest bidders.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Worth reading, but I would put more trust in a top 25 list off these boards.
  • Options
    curtpickcurtpick Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭
    rsherman24:
    I do enjoy the magazine. Some great articles. Reviews are for the person who writes them. I take them all with a grain of salt. No ones palette is identical to mine or vice versa. One mans yuck is another mans Yum !
    Family, Friends, Golf, Cigars, Fine Whiskey, Good beer.... is there anything else ?  Follow on instagram @crguy1961
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    curtpick:
    rsherman24:
    I do enjoy the magazine. Some great articles. Reviews are for the person who writes them. I take them all with a grain of salt. No ones palette is identical to mine or vice versa. One mans yuck is another mans Yum !
    Curt absolutely nailed this on the head gang. Is there politics involved? He'll yes, but I seriously doubt it's as much as is speculated, at the end of the day the most expensive cigar or even the most favored companies do not always get on the list let alone top 3 or #1 spot either. I think last year is a terrific example of that, with the My Father Flor De Las Anitillas getting the #1 seat and that is one of the cheapest cigars that MF makes. IMHO it EARNED that spot and beat out tons of sticks that were 2x-5x it's price and prestige. So yes it's political but I just don't get the sense that we are seeing the full story. I'm a loyal reader of the magazine myself, I enjoy the articles, love the gadgets and get a kick out of the "reviews" but no cigar, and it mean no cigar, do I make any decision about based on a review from them or any other company. I try it myself or seek out a brother or friend whom I trust and has a similar palate to mine. Their reviews are merely am"guide" to me for things that sound like they might peak my interest. So yeah, I will be reading their list and psyched to see what they have to say :)
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    90+ Irishman:
    curtpick:
    rsherman24:
    Curt absolutely nailed this on the head gang. Is there politics involved? He'll yes, but I seriously doubt it's as much as is speculated, at the end of the day the most expensive cigar or even the most favored companies do not always get on the list let alone top 3 or #1 spot either. I think last year is a terrific example of that, with the My Father Flor De Las Anitillas getting the #1 seat and that is one of the cheapest cigars that MF makes. IMHO it EARNED that spot and beat out tons of sticks that were 2x-5x it's price and prestige. So yes it's political but I just don't get the sense that we are seeing the full story. I'm a loyal reader of the magazine myself, I enjoy the articles, love the gadgets and get a kick out of the "reviews" but no cigar, and it mean no cigar, do I make any decision about based on a review from them or any other company. I try it myself or seek out a brother or friend whom I trust and has a similar palate to mine. Their reviews are merely am"guide" to me for things that sound like they might peak my interest. So yeah, I will be reading their list and psyched to see what they have to say :)
    Agree with all three of these statements. I haven't read a reveiw yet that 100% convinced me to buy or not buy, they are simply another tool to gain some insight as to what a cigar might have to offer. Love the FdlA.
  • Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    90+ Irishman:
    curtpick:
    rsherman24:
    Well said and great example. I do enjoy the magazine and look forward to their reviews and other information. But as with anything these days concerning internet/social media reviews or recommendations, I always treat them with some skepticism until I can try one for myself or talk to others with similar likes and dis-likes.
  • Options
    EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    90+ Irishman:
    curtpick:
    rsherman24:
    Glad a couple of you stepped up to defend the magazine :-) I think the magazine has another benefit for the hobby that no one has mentioned. While I am not really interested in celebrities (and quite honestly have pop culture deficit disorder) I think by plastering a celeb on the cover each month helps the image. And I will admit I bought the My Father Flor de las Anitillas last year based solely on their review. That's doesn't mean that I think it was the best cigar I smoked last year but I was motivated to try something new because of the review. And others have said it now but they review and rate a lot of sticks under $10 retail...
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • Options
    rsherman24:
    90+ Irishman:
    curtpick:
    rsherman24:
    Well said and great example. I do enjoy the magazine and look forward to their reviews and other information. But as with anything these days concerning internet/social media reviews or recommendations, I always treat them with some skepticism until I can try one for myself or talk to others with similar likes and dis-likes.
    Thank you for the kind words sir, just feel like there is too much emphasis put on ratings and reviews and lists. All that really matters is that y'all like the hobby and cigars, don't matter to me what anyone likes or smokes so long as they enjoy smoking cigars with me :)
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    90+ Irishman:
    All that really matters is that y'all like the hobby and cigars, don't matter to me what anyone likes or smokes so long as they enjoy smoking cigars with me :)

Easy now or im gonna show up with a Backwoods and a pack of Blacks&Milds

Aj
  • Options
    dr_frankenstein56:
    90+ Irishman:
    All that really matters is that y'all like the hobby and cigars, don't matter to me what anyone likes or smokes so long as they enjoy smoking cigars with me :)

Easy now or im gonna show up with a Backwoods and a pack of Blacks&Milds

Aj
    With enough beer and tequila I'm sure I could convince you that smoking one of those is like smoking a well aged Opus ;)