Home General Discussion
Options

Rant: Canadian prices

I just paid over $12 for a smoke that I could buy in the US for under $4. After coming home to look up some reviews, I find it's nothing more than a budget smoke. $12!!! Budget my ass! I'm fairly certain that in the next 5 years I'll be moving to Austin, TX. That can't come soon enough at times like this. I'll keep this rant to the cigar only, but I could go on and on about loads of other things. END RANT.

Comments

• Options
    TheShaunTheShaun Posts: 425
    Forgot to mention the smoke: Don Tomas Maduro, robusto.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    how much of that price is for taxes?
  • Options
    TheShaunTheShaun Posts: 425
    kuzi16:
    77% of the retail selling price to a maximum of $5/cigar.

Therefore on this stick $5 in tobacco tax.

$11.95 retail (tobacco tax max of $5 included) then 5% GST (goods and services tax), final price $12.55.
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    TheShaun:
    kuzi16:
    77% of the retail selling price to a maximum of $5/cigar.

Therefore on this stick $5 in tobacco tax.

$11.95 retail (tobacco tax max of $5 included) then 5% GST (goods and services tax), final price $12.55.
    *GULP*
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    HOLY COW !!!
  • Options
    cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    Hopefully these taxes won't be coming the America soon..... But with Obamacare looming, who knows what evil will follow...
  • Options
    zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    They've already started here, with the SCHIP taxes. We're lucky that the cap that was put in place is a lot lower than what was originally proposed.
  • Options
    GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    I was in canada a few months ago and found a cigar shop that had cuban cohibas so I stopped in to check it out. Each cigar was 65 bucks plus tax! I want to try a cuban someday but not for 65-75 bucks. Plus the place smelled like water damage.
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Goldy:
    Plus the place smelled like water damage.
    Ahhhh... Macanudo!
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I'd heard that even though you can buy Cubans in Canada, the taxes on 'em will kill ya. And I'll tell you what, with literally thousands of non-Cubans on the market here in the states, there are a ton of 'em that are as good or better than Cubans. So why buy 'em there or anywhere else? Just because of the "forbidden fruit" thing? Bulls--t, is what I say.

Marty