Home Non Cigar Related

Any info on painting easels?

perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
I'm getting more into oil painting and am looking to get an easel mostly for home use and was wondering if there was a brand/type I should look at or avoid. This is the type I've been looking at most:

Comments

• danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its all about the legs. Make sure they are very sturdy and doesn't move. Also, I remember I had an easel where the hardware on the legs were garbage. The wingnuts/screws stripped and fell apart after a few weeks of use. Check for that too. Other than that its preference. This one looks really nice
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • thedjfish@comcast.netthedjfish@comcast.net Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭
    i bought a simuliar one for my wife she's a big oil painter, the one i got her can either be used with the legs or on a table top.
    from what i have seen at our local art supply houses is they are pretty much the same when it comes to this type i think it's called a french style.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Think about your legs. Standing or sitting...
  • RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    Just remember that quality pays off in the long run even if it cost a bit more now. I have two that are basically junk and I look forward to the day when I can invest, yes I said invest, in a quality product that will last out my life.
    perkinke:
    I'm getting more into oil painting and am looking to get an easel mostly for home use and was wondering if there was a brand/type I should look at or avoid. This is the type I've been looking at most:

Abstract or life painting? Or perhaps modernistic?
  • perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    RBeckom:
    Just remember that quality pays off in the long run even if it cost a bit more now. I have two that are basically junk and I look forward to the day when I can invest, yes I said invest, in a quality product that will last out my life.
    I totally agree, the problem is I only have one craft shop around that carries anything like this so judging quality is hard to do. I've seen the same brands across the web span a range of hundreds dollars. the one in the picture is a Julian (which seems to be a reputable brand) that I have seen for as much as $600 and as little as $65 and can't tell any major difference from the descriptions.

As for style, well....I'm not quite at the point i can claim any particular method. :) I'm still working on basics and developing a better eye for colors so I've done a couple landscapes that have been variously compared to Gaugin and "the thing my kid stuck to the fridge." :) I have always loved the Impressionists though, for some reason those seem to have more feeling to me than other styles.
    I prefer abstract in general but sometimes do serious work.
    As for the easel pictured it looks to be of sturdy construction.