Home Cigar 101

Noob intro and a Tower Humidor question

Hi all. Been lurking for a few months registered today. I usually smoke swishers, Cao flavours, Acids and Java type cigars and my brother "from another mother" got me a Tower humidor so I can store cigars instead of buying a little at a time. I have seasoned it thanks to these forums and use kitty litter with no issues. That's the intro now my question, What is the 8" diameter hole in the top of the unit for? There is no info I could find by searching and pictures of other peoples units where you can see the hole, well it's still a hole. Surely something goes up there..Thanks

Comments

• allsmokedupallsmokedup Posts: 751 ✭✭
    I'm guessing that the hole doesn't compromise the integrity of the inside if you could season it properly?
    Post a pic or a link to the humi so we can see...
  • Thanks for the quick response. Here's a link http://wheresmydrink.com/wp-content/gallery/misc/humihole.jpg The cavity is 3" deep/tall above the hole and is the size of the humidor.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    allsmokedup:
    I'm guessing that the hole doesn't compromise the integrity of the inside if you could season it properly?
    Post a pic or a link to the humi so we can see...
    Yea, post a picture of it. I'm trying to visualize what the hole is or where it's at, but come up empty.
    I haven't seen a hole on a tower humi. The only hole I can think of would be for the hygrometer, but that's 3 1/2" max. 8" is a considerable hole.

[edit]
    Interesting. Would like to see the whole humi. What brand/make is it?
    It's possible it is there for some kind of circulation fan to go in, but not likely.
    If it is the tower with the "peak" on it, like a house. They probably cut the hole to allow air movement in the top to prevent moisture from accumulating in the top to prevent mold. Just a guess.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • New_BootsNew_Boots Posts: 2,651 ✭✭
    imageThere ya go
  • allsmokedupallsmokedup Posts: 751 ✭✭
    0patience:
    They probably cut the hole to allow air movement in the top to prevent moisture from accumulating in the top to prevent mold. Just a guess.

Sounds about right. You can probably rig up a fan since they were so nice to give you a premade place to put it...
  • FNAFNA Posts: 55
    swishers, Cao flavours, Acids and Java and a $1,000 humidor.

Maybe I'm smoking the wrong cigars.

Congrats on the Tower.

Do folks think storing flavored cigars in a large humidor such as this will "flavorize" the entire cabinet?
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could that hole up there be for a light fixture maybe?
    Could that hole up there be for a light fixture maybe? Could you post a pic of the whole humidor? Or a link to this humidor on sale somewhere?
  • variant2variant2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks like that piece of wood was recycled from an old subwoofer enclosure.

Cнeerѕ! Moтнerғυcĸer
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FNA:
    swishers, Cao flavours, Acids and Java and a $1,000 humidor. Maybe I'm smoking the wrong cigars. Congrats on the Tower. Do folks think storing flavored cigars in a large humidor such as this will "flavorize" the entire cabinet?
    Don't put non flavored and flavored in the same humidor!
  • FNAFNA Posts: 55
    "Don't put non flavored and flavored in the same humidor!"

Well then, menadin better not change to straight smokes, cause his 3,000 smoke cabinet is getting the flavored to start.
  • MrTommyMrTommy Posts: 18 ✭✭

On the subject of the Acid towers, can anyone tell me what the tower braces are made of? Wood" Cardboard? Metal? I kinda like the look of them and might get one just because . . . I like Acid Kuba Kubas, but I'm afraid the sticks that come in the tower are stronger. Eh?

• VisionVision Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

My man joined in 2010 a just past the 15 post mark. 🎉

• cbuckcbuck Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

• JrflicksterJrflickster Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet

• d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭✭✭

:*

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• VisionVision Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

Time of the month

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrTommy said:
    On the subject of the Acid towers, can anyone tell me what the tower braces are made of? Wood" Cardboard? Metal? I kinda like the look of them and might get one just because . . . I like Acid Kuba Kubas, but I'm afraid the sticks that come in the tower are stronger. Eh?

They're a titanium alloy with a birch veneer.

Don't look ↑
    edited November 2021

My man lives in Nevada, or did 11 years ago....?

Don't look ↑

@Vision said:

That's right, and I just got an award for it too. Ha. Still live in NV, but way up north. I hope the fact that I don't haunt this forum doesn't mean that I shouldn't ask questions or make comments. Oh, and thanks for the answer I was looking for, my man.

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • JrflicksterJrflickster Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrTommy said:

@Vision said:

That's right, and I just got an award for it too. Ha. Still live in NV, but way up north. I hope the fact that I don't haunt this forum doesn't mean that I shouldn't ask questions or make comments. Oh, and thanks for the answer I was looking for, my man.

That's irritating not the original comment but this one?

• ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )

@MrTommy said:

@Vision said:

Yeah you got about 62 badges yesterday when you logged in. I can't remember my fantasy football password from september, I don't know how the hell you logged in to a form after 13 years lol. Well if you're way up north in nevada, you might as well be on Mars for me. I have an equal chance of seeing both. @Wylaff lives in Reno, Tahoe specifically I think, so there's that.

Welcome back @MrTommy. Hopefully you don't wait another 10 years to make a post!

Don't look ↑

@VegasFrank said:

Welcome back @MrTommy. Hopefully you don't wait another 10 years to make a post!

I guess I was just 'enjoying' my sticks with no unanswered questions or comments to be made. I DO spend more time on a diesel forum because I spend more time in my truck than lighting up. I spent about ¾ year down in Houston at the MD Anderson Cancer Center and they frown on the enjoyment of cigars (or booze, or any of life's pleasures - ha). But now I'm enjoying both (unbeknownst to them!) and just keep my mouth shut.

Welcome back @MrTommy.

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

O

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain