Home General Discussion
Options

How do you organize your humidor?

My dad drives me nuts. He has 7 or so humidors with anywhere from 300-500 cigars at his house at any given time. When a new shipment comes in, he opens them and divides them into the different humidors. He loves the fact that he just opens one up and is surprised with what's in there and just picks only quickly. They are very unorganized. Labels are going different ways and some sticks are sideways. I however am a pain in the butt about mine. I have three humidors and they are all "perfect inside." All like brands are together all going the same way. If I start to run low on a certain stick, there is a good chance it will be moved to a different humi. Is anyone else **** about their set up?

Comments

• Options
    TheShaunTheShaun Posts: 425
    Got any pictures? I don't have a humi yet, but when I do, I suspect I'll be more like your dad.
  • Options
    I usually line em up by size. and my top tray has 1 of everything I have. fairly organized, but not a little b*tch like you. hahaha! I'm just kidding. My good friend is f*cking crazy with his. Never splits up a pair, never ever fully finishing any box, always keeps 1 and will probably never smoke the last ones. Buys cigars and never smokes them cause he I guess he thinks there more collectors items. ME personally, My cigars are my cigars and I'll smoke any one of the stogies in my humi.
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    My wine fridge used to be organized by different criteria:

Ones that I can smoke (i.e. singles leftover or a few from a box I've purchased
    Ones that are "Premium" and I won't touch unless it's a special occasion
    And ones that I will like to age so NO TOUCHY!

Since then I've boughten many more and boxes, and I don't have the room to organize them anymore... So they are all just in there but I still keep track of them in a Excel spreadsheet and know which ones I can smoke or not...
  • Options
    MAJORdorMoMAJORdorMo Posts: 356
    My top shelf has tinned cigars (It currently has every tinned cigar from CAO and Cohiba. It also has a few Punchs). Every non-tinned cigar is under the top tray.

Thats my organization.
  • Options
    undulac:
    Is anyone else **** about their set up?

I have a 5vegas tradicion humidor which is packed neatly full tight of 5Vegas treats, the tray has my neatly lined up "rare" treats, I have a Savoy humidor neatly packed full of DPG sticks, and coolardore all full of boxes and ziplock bags from orders neatly arranged and all of this is inventoried with color coded tracking of aging and location in a workbork that i keep synced up daily on my smartphone.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    The best description I could give about my humidor setup is "organized chaos". If you were to open one of my humidors, you'd think I just threw things in randomly, which I do somewhat, but I also have a very good idea of what I have and where I can find it. That kind of organization has always worked best for me.
  • Options
    cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    I usually keep like with like, and have at least one bin full of odd-balls/samplers/trades.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    when i get cigars in i put the new ones on the bottom. rotate up.
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    I have 4 humidors and 2 coolerdors, the organization is such:

Smoking humidor, 150 count: for singles I haven't tried yet or cigars that are in my regular rotation; this is almost always the humidor I smoke out of

Aging humidor, 75 count: for cigars I want age on and for special occasion smokes, cigars generally stay in here a minimum of three months, but in most cases longer

Infused humidor, 20-30 count: for infused sticks

Overflow humidor, 30 count: currently being used to age the smokes I'm going to pass out for our baby's birth

Coolerdor 1: holds all boxes

Coolerdor 2: holds all other cigars in zip-up bags and bundled cigars
  • Options
    JdoraisJdorais Posts: 652
    I'd like the idea of keeping my humi "perfect inside", but that'll never happen. I'm just not that organized. The closest to organized I can get with my sticks is that they all lay in the same direction, and even that is just luck. Kinda like what jozer said "organized chaos"
  • Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Though I don't have anywhere near the humidor capacity I want right now, I already know that my future humidors will be stored just like many of the other guys here - straight rows organized by brand, size, aging or smoking, and significance (daily or special), and then logged in a spreadsheet. Nobody would guess it by looking at my (messy as ****) bedroom, but I am a major fanatic for organization.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    I keep my premium/limited releases on the top tray and everything else is underneath. They're all facing the same direction. That's about as far as I get. I used to be **** about it then I just kept **** them all up when I would go to fish a stick out of the bottom. I want to smoke, not keep them perfectly organized.
  • Options
    My bottom row holds my higher end sticks as well as others that I plan to age. If I were to get a five pack of something then I would place one on the bottom row and the others would stick together on top. The top row are the sticks that are fair game to smoke at any time. Duplicates stay with each other and everything is organized from left to right by size, Toros and Torpedos on the left, tapering down to all Robustos on the right.
  • Options
    kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    Mine is wherever there is room ..... i'd like to be eccentric and consider the placing in my humi to be ECLECTIC CLUSTER **** ..... and iam copy writing that phrase so if you white devils use it ..... you owe me a cigar...... lol
  • Options
    rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    Mine goes through stages but for the most part I like to keep like brands together and I keep my better sticks in the top tray where they are visible and everything else underneath. You know, show off the good stuff. My humi is nearly all singles though so that is about as far as the organization goes.
  • Options
    vankleekkwvankleekkw Posts: 404
    Like Tetris, have to figure out where the boxes can fit.

Hopefuilly the organization gets better when I get my drawers in.
  • Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    Mine is somewhat organized chaos as well. My top tray is normally some of my more impressive looking or rarer sticks, and underneath I sorta have them organized by wrapper. I separate my Maduros from the others, typically.

Most important, though, is I keep a log of when different orders came in so I know which is which. It gets damn confusing when I have singles come in that match others in the humidor, but I have my ways of keeping track.

I'm at the point where my two humidors are getting a bit full, I am probably going to invest in a coolidor before too long and then I'll come up with a better way of organizing them, especially the ones for aging.