Home Cigar 101
Options

leave it to stupid here to get lost or confused

uhm :"boots" referred me to I think here??? 101 or 102 as a newbie I just joined sometime thanksgiving week end. I need to get educated NO offense to ANYONE BUT I purely hate cigarettes....watched to many relatives suffocate to death from smoking them. I crave and adore cigars n pipes. Why did Winston churchill nad "george burms" smoke cigars and live into their 90s Groucho marx smoked cigars and lived to 86.....I get so's I can t breath I have to lay off....am I a wuss pansy OR am I smoking trash cigars...I do not I will not inhale. I need to smoke finer more expensive cigars??? THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME!

Comments

• Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome and enjoy.

As a newb myself I have come to the conclusion (regardless of jthanatos's welcome post), there are no sane people here, just me.
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you seen a doctor? Could this be asthma?
  • Options
    MorganGeoMorganGeo Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    Have you seen a doctor? Could this be asthma?
    I was thinking the same thing. Might get this checked out. Also, welcome to the forum!
  • Options
    New_BootsNew_Boots Posts: 2,651 ✭✭
    I'd see a doc!

I've been a cigarette smoker for 21 years, and a cigar smoker off and on for quite a few years also. Now, I'm also rather physically active, but I've never ran into an issue to where I couldn't breathe.

Go see a doc, always best to have a professional check it out....we're not so good at diagnostics here.
  • Options
    HELLO all of you who greeted me! and so well as per asthma concerns; I work for a medical testing corporation. have found Medical people and drs often dont open a practice they go into the busines end I have consulted with the many there they all agree that i simply wind up puffing my pipes or cigar so much it gets into my NERVOUS system and tightens up my heart and my lungs. I stop and back off it all eases up. I been perfect since I guess 1st of october. I had smoked and d rnak all summer due to stress. I got feelings of tiredness weakness and i couldnt breath. I stopped in time for a health screening for our insurance that only put me into detox I was quite a mess till about the 1st week of sept. Right now i cant afford to drink OR smoke anymore but would love to be a ble to go backl to it...........I will never again go back to eating cheese by the chunk again though! weird stuff eh??? Bless all for replying!!!
  • Options
    No_one21No_one21 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭
    New Boots:
    I'd see a doc!

I've been a cigarette smoker for 21 years, and a cigar smoker off and on for quite a few years also. Now, I'm also rather physically active, but I've never ran into an issue to where I couldn't breathe.

Go see a doc, always best to have a professional check it out....we're not so good at diagnostics here.
    Just have to say I read one of your sentences as "Now, I'm also rather physically attractive..." and thought, "Probably true since we all are on these forums, but how does that apply to this topic?" lol
  • Options
    not trying to get a diagnotic here just explaining what happened to me what happenes TO me when i apparantly smoke too much. My cigar of choice had been Dutch masters english coronas ohh for me what a perfec t size but they're a cheap garbage cigar??? can i be recommendded to upgrade to better quality???
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You'll be amazed at the difference between a Dutch Masters and a premium cigar. But they all contain tar so if your inhaling it's going in your lungs. But we all get the accidental inhale. I can feel it when I've had a 2 cigar day probably because those days are usually spent in a shop with other cigar smokers so you are breathing it in then.
  • Options
    EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please don't take offense by what I am going to say but take it in the spirit of this forum which is to help. 1) You may be smoking too fast. A puff a minute is a nice pace. 2) Machine made cigars are kind of like big cigarettes. Try a nice mild hand rolled cigar. The 5 Vegas Gold is a good cigar that is pretty inexpensive. Start there and see how it hoes. 3) A lot of people who claim they don't inhale actually do. If you are inhaling that would explain some of your symptoms. 4) You should see a doctor because as a lot of people there could be a medical reason behind this.
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • Options
    please dont take offense.....WOW an exemplary gentleman WOW I love it I got plenty scared at 1st but particularly your words smoking too fast WOW if my girl saw that how she'd applaud I can out eat anyone same thing with drin king I'm sure YES I bet I likely puff puff puff away at .in fact Kim has complained and imitated my fast fast puffing away the room so fills with smoke. She has asked "are you mixing another d rink already??? Another beer already??? harumph even when liesure I'm tense!! PLEASE RECOMMEND a mild inexpensive hand rolled cigar....HOW MANY HERE HAND ROLL THEIR OWN CIGAR ??? I think I'd be willing GREAT JOB THANK YOU!!!
  • Options
    also ooops I'm embarased it was Echambers who referred me to '101". I recognise his closing about poking something weird was it??????
  • Options
    another ooooops is the typo i typed t hat i didnt see/ realise and boots caught it earlier about rather attractive...DUH RATHER ACTIVE!! King typo here!
  • Options
    New_BootsNew_Boots Posts: 2,651 ✭✭
    No_one21:
    New Boots:
    I'd see a doc!

Just have to say I read one of your sentences as "Now, I'm also rather physically attractive..." and thought, "Probably true since we all are on these forums, but how does that apply to this topic?" lol
    I'm leaning toward being physically active (active runner) can cut down on the effects of being a long term smoker. My brain likes living in its own little world most of the time...generally things make sense to me...a lot of times...only me
  • Options
    WELL we're getting somewhere with Echambers comment about my smoking to hard and fast. I guess I go from awake even when sitting I'm tense have to shake my leg or both legs. I guess I relax when I'm nodding off. I just 'stoked" and lit a small pipe and i notic e now I just puff and puff and puff i like to see that smoke! Interesting is when i'm working on a vehicle that is a ctually the best time for me to PUFF. I have noticed that when i get really WORKING i focus and stop puffing!!! I am weird! I'm backwards! SO for me even a good but inexpensive hand rolled cigar would have the same effect? I puff so much .....uhm
  • Options
    well cigar referrals anyone?I have long really enjoyed thos e Dutch masters
    corona deluxe" perfect size I love their size but i read about them, i w as disapointed as to their ingredients and they are machine made mass produced. I read about garcia Y vega english coronas: machine made but out of tobacco from south america so better?? NOT the same size though as the Dutch masters. uhm, a discussion?
  • Options
    well thank y'all for talking up to now. there is a JR tobacco 1/2 hr(???) away I guess i can consult with them
  • Options
    EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    brianradomski:
    well cigar referrals anyone?
    I'd try either the 5 Vegas Classic or 5 Vegas Gold. Inexpensive introduction to hand rolled cigars. But really any of the mild cigars will get you started and make clear the difference between the Dutch Masters you've been smoking. You can pick up some decent and inexpensive samplers on this site.
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • Options
    BIG relief it looked like noone was going to reply anymore TERRIFIC NOW how do i know what a mild cigar is....I dont think I have ever seen "mild" ETC on a cigar pack....vegas classic or gold eh?? OR what do I look for HERE for a mild cigar? NOW also CAN a cigar still be machine manufactured / produced but have better quality THAN a Dutch master?? I have also made the "discovery/ decision that only if I ever actually do relax and let go calm down THAT's when i can cigar or pipe so I'm not just uptight but feel like a puff. I have to be more distinctive. I cant be like the people who have to always ....say...have a 'cigarette going NO offense meant to anyone but I HAVE truly come axcross that kind of person.......how they can afford "ciggies" with consumption like that???!!!!! T H A N K Y O U!!!!!!!
  • Options
    dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    hey nuthing worng with machine made... i smoke them all day long in-between my good sticks. I like BackWoods or Ugly's and occasionally the Black and Mild. Im not entirely sure if you are deciding to want to stop smoking machine mades to go to all hand made or not, but i wouldnt discount the machine mades if your a heavy smoker like i am. id go broke if i smoked premiums all day.

Aj
  • Options
    macs-smokesmacs-smokes Posts: 587
    I smoke less than some... way less. More than others... the first rule is smoke what you like. The suggested stogies are fine suggestions. You will have to find what you like and can afford. I am not done finding out what I like. The wife has a small say in what I can afford. I also know me... if I have too many on hand I won't shortly. Thus I have way less on hand than many members here. I do buy 3 boxes of yard gars for the summer now. That's all I am willing to handle presently. That and my 50 count for the good stuff.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Echambers:
    brianradomski:
    well cigar referrals anyone?
    I'd try either the 5 Vegas Classic or 5 Vegas Gold. Inexpensive introduction to hand rolled cigars. But really any of the mild cigars will get you started and make clear the difference between the Dutch Masters you've been smoking. You can pick up some decent and inexpensive samplers on this site.
    I think this is good advice. You seem determined to stick with machine mades, I think Turrent makes some superior machine mades, A & C was my choice, before I was introduced to the world of hand-rolled cigars.

Almost anything with a Connecticut wrapper is likely to be mild, and it sounds like you need to start with mild.

Also, it sounds very much like you're smoking too fast. Your cigar should burn evenly, no "cone" on the end, but a nice even look when you ash it. A Toro size cigar, 6 inches by 48-50 ring gauge, usually lasts me about 1 3/4 - 2 1/4 hours, depending.

Don't smoke when you're stressed out, you'll smoke too fast, inhale by accident, and end up with your head spinning and your lungs wheezing.

Now, tell us about you?

We're a pretty friendly bunch here, willing to give help and advice to newbies, but if you've followed events closely lately, you'll notice that we're sometimes attacked by fanatic "Anti-All Forms of Tobacco N a z i 's", it would be nice to know that you're legit, and not trying to sucker the evil cigar smokers into saying something that can be twisted into some form of propaganda at a later time.

No offense, but it's the world we live in. We here believe in freedom of choice as to how we live our lives, but the fear mongers and power mongers of the world are out there, determined to "make the world safe", and in steady denial of the fact that that goal is not only impossible, but quite undesirable, as it would lead to a static gray life, a life not worth living.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    "now tell you all about me????" No I have not noticed at all aboiut "others attacking". I'm here to get educated is all 1. what could i have done wrong when I got sick , 2 hopefully what i can do to correct. 3. as per two contributors here I'm finding out the answer: NO nervous puffing, SO my Dutch masters English coronas are o.k. they are VERY machine made and if any one of you would read up about the ingredients of those Dutch masters let me know your opinions please? I just cant smoke them as a cigarette and they are completely machine made!. So I am to understand that there are thoise who are against smoking so they comew in here and harass you folks?????? In my opinion thats like arguing with me......alcoholic brother who sadly passed to stop denial and quit drinking, plead with a pot smoker to quit that....."if you dont go into someone's house and begin lecturing/preaching to them about what they're doing wrong then dont go into a group forum and lecture for heavan's sake..........thank heavans when i was 17 / 18 years old I just LOVED cigars n pipes better than cigarettes. I pursued them till now when I uhm took sick last fall.....I'm older (57) I'm more sendentary with this internet, i still have anxiety I smoke eat and d rink to fast. If I scared any of you 'sorry" i cant believev i did though......you folks would have been scared of me if you had seen me black out!!!! JUST for thanks giving weekend I bought 4 olr 5 Garcia y vega cigars this how much i puff now I'm scared to hasve one left i think
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No offense meant, bro, the posts I refer to have been deleted, several signed up about the same time as you, thats all. If Dutch Masters do it for you, smoke on. I think you should give 5 Vegas a try. Good luck.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    HI HI on vacation so i can reply "no offense meant' AWW thank you. I USED to smoke the garcia/vega english corona but somehow tried the dutch masters...MUCH larger much more cigar like. There is a ride I "wanna" take ....would take us right past JR tobacco plac e so stop in and consult I suppose
  • Options
    macs-smokesmacs-smokes Posts: 587
    Definitely... the staff should be a resource for you. If you get one like at your local gas station.. i.e. *waves hand in general direction of 99% of the store* the bathrooms are that way. Get out and find someone else. But if you say hey I am looking for something new and have had X cigar and would like to try Y that was recommended. Most shops I frequent will bend over backwards to help you. If they do not carry that cigar they will either tell you who does (happens in Ta town a lot) and recommend something similar. Some will even say here try this one and if you like that here are the bundles.
  • Options
    ahhhhhhhhh this is nice! excpet can the help IN a cigar shop be that apathetic and disinterested??? I have been quite know to "sound off when a "customer serve or sales rep gets aloof with me.
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One thing to consider, and it may or may not have been considered, but machine mades usually have a "pre-cut" tip. And usually that is very small, which likes to generate tar, especially if you smoke them too fast. A black bitter tasting substance that comes out of the cigar.

This can happen on hand mades, but usually people make the cut large enough and smoke them slower that it doesn't seem to happen a lot.

That tar can make you sick, tastes awful and can cause allergic reactions, similar to an asthma attack.
    It's rare, but can happen.

It's quite possible that you are smoking the machine mades too fast and the tar is building up on the tip and it is causing a reaction.
    If you like smoking the machine mades, try either smoking slower or get a cutter and cut the tip a little larger and see if that helps.

This is all guess work, but may be what you are running into, I don't know.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    New Boots:
    No_one21:
    New Boots:
    I'd see a doc!

I'm leaning toward being physically active (active runner) can cut down on the effects of being a long term smoker. My brain likes living in its own little world most of the time...generally things make sense to me...a lot of times...only me
    ...you should talk to a doctor.
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mild cigars: Gurkha Symphony, Park Avenue; AVO XO; MOW Virtue; Ramon Bueso Odyssey;AKA, CLE and Xikar have pretty good Conny's as well. I used to chew for 12 years, primarily as a nervous habit. Now, I enjoy a cigar a day as a real treat, especially if I'm doing a Vherf. There's a great bunch of people on here and making it a relaxing social experience is rewarding!