Home Non Cigar Related

Sipping Rum?

Any suggestions on what to try? I enjoy single malt scotch but don't know much about rum other than the cheap stuff to mix with. Thanks!

Comments

• Tyland64Tyland64 Posts: 712
    I liked the Glengoyne 1996, Wemyss Smooth Gentleman,Clynelish and a bit stronger is Tyrconnell Madeira cask. I have all in my home selection. If you like the peaty scotch start with the Wemyss Peat Chiminaye. Good Luck and enjoy. Luke
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On the high end of the scale but what I would consider complex and refined enough to sip like I do whiskey it would either be Zaya, or the best I've had so far is Ron Zacapa 23 year.
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    90+ Irishman:
    On the high end of the scale but what I would consider complex and refined enough to sip like I do whiskey it would either be Zaya, or the best I've had so far is Ron Zacapa 23 year.
    I would add to these Ron Abuelo's stuff and the older Appleton Estate rums. Mount Gay can also have some really tasty sipping in mid price ranges.
  • lonewolf2011lonewolf2011 Posts: 503
    Thanks for the suggestions. The Zacapa has come up in a few of my web searches and sounds like one I definitely need to try.
  • allsmokedupallsmokedup Posts: 751 ✭✭
    One that never gets any headlines is Capt. Morgan's Private Stock. It's sweeter with a bit of mild spice, but very drinkable neat. Price is <$25 around where I am, so it's relatively cheap.
  • blutattooblutattoo Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    lonewolf2011:
    Any suggestions on what to try? I enjoy single malt scotch but don't know much about rum other than the cheap stuff to mix with. Thanks!
    When I was a drinkin man I really enjoyed Bacardi 8. It's definitely not the cheap stuff they use in mixed drinks, but not to expensive either. It use to be about 35-40 a bottle. Mighty fine sippin rum.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm a fan of flor de cana 12 year.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    I'm a fan of flor de cana 12 year.
    .. Yeah, that is a good one. My neighbor is a big Rum guy and shared some with me, definitely a winner. I like a lot of the Guatemalan offerings...Like, Plantation Guatemalan Gran Anejo, Ron Botran, and Venado.
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    I like Zaya for around $30.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    Zacapa 23, Zaya, Plantation 20th, El Dorado 12 for a sweeter rum and 15 for a slightly drier, more grassy rum. If you want to drop a few more bucks, Zacapa XO, Ron Abuelo Centenario or El Dorado 21. Still haven't tried Papas Pilar or Kirk and Sweeny but those are next on my list.
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rob1110:
    Zacapa 23, Zaya, Plantation 20th, El Dorado 12 for a sweeter rum and 15 for a slightly drier, more grassy rum. If you want to drop a few more bucks, Zacapa XO, Ron Abuelo Centenario or El Dorado 21. Still haven't tried Papas Pilar or Kirk and Sweeny but those are next on my list.
    Sweeney is one I am DISTINCTLY interested in trying, would love to hear if anyone has had any...
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SleevePlz:
    I like Zaya for around $30.
    Agreed!!
  • lonewolf2011lonewolf2011 Posts: 503
    Thanks for all the suggestions! I made a list and am going to start sampling :-)