Home Cigar 101
Options

Interesting dots / age marks / ash / part of the wrapper?

rad1964rad1964 Posts: 190 ✭✭
Hello,
I just had a stick (which I shall name in a few...) that intrigued me.
For one I noticed that the stick had a bunch of bumps. Not sure if they are part of the wrapper, or it was just stored badley or the opoosite, it had been stored properly and was showing those white age bumbs that I have heard so much about.
Oh yeah almost forgot to add that the ash for this cigar was one of the darker ashes I have seen. Is there anything to a white ash as opposed to a dark ash?

Here's an image. What do you experts think about the bumps and ashes?

Comments

• Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    The bumps are commonly referred to as tooth, it is a characteristic of the wrapper, I see it often on cameroon wrappers. The color of the ash is determined by the balance of certain chemicals in the tobacco, this would come from the soil it was grown in. Some people will try and tell you that a white ash is a sign of good quality, but a lot of cigars I've smoked speak to the contrary, and anyone who has ever smoked a Cuban cigar can tell you the ash sure wasn't pure white.

So what kind of cigar was it?
  • Options
    Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    I've often wondered this myself. In fact, I was thinking about it just a couple of days ago. Now I know. And yeah, that 'white ash means it's a good stick' is a crock.
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    White ash means "Mercury" in the soil...

That is all
  • Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    The bumps are commonly referred to as tooth
    Well frakkin A...I've been wondering what the eff "toothy" meant. I've seen it plenty of times in reviews and just gone "WTF is a 'toothy' wrapper!?"
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    j0z3r:

It was a Graycliff Crystal... typical?

• Options
    ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
    haha, I just had a graycliff 1666 the other night and as soon as I looked close I thought wow this looks just like the cigar from the forum on ccom.
  • Options
    ironhorse:
    haha, I just had a graycliff 1666 the other night and as soon as I looked close I thought wow this looks just like the cigar from the forum on ccom.
    How did you like it? I have a 5-pk coming in shortly...:D

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    rad1964:
    ironhorse:

im ok with the 1666 but as with all Graycliffs, the price is a bit much for what I get out of it. others say they live up to the price point on construction alone.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    kuzi16:
    rad1964:
    ironhorse:

im ok with the 1666 but as with all Graycliffs, the price is a bit much for what I get out of it. others say they live up to the price point on construction alone.

I would have a heck of a time paying that for JUST construction... The flavor is what I base what I pay on. About the Graycliffs though if you like them (and I do) as with most cigars, some proper research will yield dividends as you can find deeply discounted prices on most smokes. And now having said that I wonder as a 3-4 year old cigar smoker if thats a sign of the economy in general and when the economy turns around good deals will be harder to come by ? Hmmmm ...
  • Options
    ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
    It was a decent smoke. I did have to relight it once even though it seemed to be lightly rolled and offered plenty of draw. Must have been a small tight spot. It had a decent amount of pepper profile to it, a little more than I like, but it was consistent and not hot as some "pepper" cigars can be. It also held its same flavor throughout the cigar. If I had to rate it on the 100 scale, I would would give it a 86 or so.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    rad1964:
    j0z3r:

It was a Graycliff Crystal... typical?

Never had one, but it has a Sumatra wrapper and I do seem to recall having toothy Sumatra wrappers in the past.
  • Options
    ThewelderThewelder Posts: 682 ✭✭

Lasabar:
    White ash means "Mercury" in the soil...

That is all

I thought white ash meant there was more calcium in the soil and grew/darker ash was caused by more potasium.