Home Cigar 101
Options

OK, so I have 25 pricy cigars headed my way...

I'm a newbie. I've only smoked about 50 or so cigars in my life(all in the past few months). I was thumbing through a magizine, and hit an add, for here, offering 10 cigars, and a humidor for 20 bucks. Well, I guess I got carried away. I ordered another 15 cigars, thinking I could smoke 5 pretty quick, leaving 20 in the box. Afterwords, I started reading this forum. I had no idea that you need to 'season' your humidor.

So.... I have a bunch of cigars coming in, and no where to store them. Any alternitive methods? I have that GLAD vacuum pump, and the baggies to seal them with. Would that work? If not, any advice is appreciated as I am about to have about $200 in smokes, and no where to put them, until I finish seasoning.

Comments

• Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Put them in a big Ziploc bag with the water pillow that should come with them, that will hold them long enough to get the seasoning out of the way.
  • Options
    So the cigars from this site generally come with these pillows? If so, that makes me feel much better. Would vacuum sealing be a good idea, or a waste of money(the bags cost around $5 for 5-10)? Thanks for the quick reply.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I wouldn't vacuum seal them, I don't see how it would benefit you to do so. In fact, vacuum sealing may not be very good for the cigars given certain pressures they'll be put under....you wouldn't want to crack a wrapper or worse.

And yes, cigar.com ships with little humidification pillows which can be used in a pinch to keep your cigars fresh until you can get them in a humidor.
  • Options
    cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    Vacuum sealing will turn your cigar into pipe tobacco, or roll-your-own cigarrette tobacco.
  • Options
    Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    Putting a water pillow in a zip-loc bag will work just fine, especially if you're doing just until your humi is seasoned.
  • Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Hey Lee, welcome to the site. Fyi - I ordered the exact same deal (it's pretty sweet), and it just arrived two days ago. I have the humidor seasoning right now, and my cigars are chilling in a 'tupperdore' - tupperware with a distilled-water-wet sponge within. My order did not come with a humidity pillow, which sucks because I thought it was supposed to, so my setup is as best as I can do for the moment. There's some decent responses from other fellas regarding this deal in my thread entitled "Cigar.com 20ct Humidor Questions" if you want to check it out.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨