Home General Discussion
Options

Lancero appeal....

2»

Comments

• Options
    LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    Got the app!!!! Lol
    Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.
  • Options
    FNAFNA Posts: 55
    "get roughly 70-75% of the flavor of the cigar from the wrapper" This is generally acknowledged to be a myth.
    You are welcome to your opinion sir,"
    If this was just my opinion I would have said "in my opinion this is a myth"

It is not just my opinion, it is generally regarded to be untrue. That means more people than not.

"this is not . All of what I have stated in here is based in proven science or information from experts in the tobacco industry."

I don't know anbout proven science, but indeed I include among those who regard this as a myth experts in the tobacco industry.

"Ralph Montero, a 22-year veteran of the cigar business now employed as vice president of Alec Bradley Cigar Company, points out the role of the cigar’s other components - filler and binder - on the ratio of flavors. “If you have a Cameroon or Ecuador wrapper, on a cigar with 90% Esteli ligero in the filler,” he suggests, “you can’t tell me the wrapper is going to represent 70% of flavor." Quoted in Smoke magazine

The cigar maker has control over the dominant feature of a cigar. "“If you want to make a cigar with a wrapper as a dominant element you can do that. If you want to make one with filler as a dominant element, you can do that as well but the idea behind the cigar, in my opinion, is the roundness of the blend: all three elements combining to create a particular taste so you can’t attribute a dominant factor to any of the three.”
    Manuel Quesada

if the wrapper of the cigar is a shade leaf and the filler is something along the lines of a full-bodied and bold tobacco, the wrapper is going to have a very minor role in the shaping of the flavor
    Neptune Cigars, retailers for more than a decade.

"not something that I am just reciting since I read it online"

Oddly enough, online is where you will mostly read about wrapper providing the vast majority of flavor.
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FNA:
    "get roughly 70-75% of the flavor of the cigar from the wrapper" This is generally acknowledged to be a myth. You are welcome to your opinion sir," If this was just my opinion I would have said "in my opinion this is a myth" It is not just my opinion, it is generally regarded to be untrue. That means more people than not. "this is not . All of what I have stated in here is based in proven science or information from experts in the tobacco industry." I don't know anbout proven science, but indeed I include among those who regard this as a myth experts in the tobacco industry. "Ralph Montero, a 22-year veteran of the cigar business now employed as vice president of Alec Bradley Cigar Company, points out the role of the cigar’s other components - filler and binder - on the ratio of flavors. “If you have a Cameroon or Ecuador wrapper, on a cigar with 90% Esteli ligero in the filler,” he suggests, “you can’t tell me the wrapper is going to represent 70% of flavor." Quoted in Smoke magazine The cigar maker has control over the dominant feature of a cigar. "“If you want to make a cigar with a wrapper as a dominant element you can do that. If you want to make one with filler as a dominant element, you can do that as well but the idea behind the cigar, in my opinion, is the roundness of the blend: all three elements combining to create a particular taste so you can’t attribute a dominant factor to any of the three.” Manuel Quesada if the wrapper of the cigar is a shade leaf and the filler is something along the lines of a full-bodied and bold tobacco, the wrapper is going to have a very minor role in the shaping of the flavor Neptune Cigars, retailers for more than a decade. "not something that I am just reciting since I read it online" Oddly enough, online is where you will mostly read about wrapper providing the vast majority of flavor.
    Well at least you aren't trying to pick a flame war fight within your first 100 posts.... What I listed there is a GENERALITY. I did not state that every single blend and every single cigar followed this rule, it is a rule of majority and generality. That being said yes there will always be ways to change that, putting a 30 year aged Cameroon overtop of a 100% Nicaraguan Ligero blend from Esteli and Condega regions will not follow that rule. But it's just that, aomething that represents the MAJORITY well and covers most situations. I will however agree completely with you on two points, I agree that it is often overused and misrepresented in general (as with many if not most things posted online) and that the sources you quoted are terrific sources enforcing your point. I respect that you backed up your statements with sources and references, I really do. I also am not trying to pick a fight or start a flame war myself. I am by ALL means NOT an expert, simply a young punk Irish Drunk that has an innatural level of love and devotion towards cigars lol. While I may not always agree with people's decisions and opinions, I will defend to the death their right to have and to express them.
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    First I'd like to say I feel the wrapper has more to do with taste then some people think. I feel as a lot of companies blend to what the wrapper will be since the wrapper is the most expensive part of the cigar. If you want to see the difference between the influence of the wrapper the la aurora preferidos is a great example. They all use the same blend but different wrappers...and tell me you can't taste the difference. As for a cigar that's 90% of any one thing of course it will mostly taste like that. For me I'd say for the most part I feel wrapper flavor is around 40% of the flavor. But one appeal too smaller ring gauges is that there is less crap filler and more of the more expensive stuff in it. Is you haven't gone smaller then a 50 rg you are really missing out!!
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    I like lanceros. I like LFD's. I like Cameroon wrappers. I wonder if the LFD Cameroon Cabinet Lancero is my favorite stick? Sucks it is being discontinued :(
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    Lee.mcglynn:
    First I'd like to say I feel the wrapper has more to do with taste then some people think. I feel as a lot of companies blend to what the wrapper will be since the wrapper is the most expensive part of the cigar. If you want to see the difference between the influence of the wrapper the la aurora preferidos is a great example. They all use the same blend but different wrappers...and tell me you can't taste the difference. As for a cigar that's 90% of any one thing of course it will mostly taste like that. For me I'd say for the most part I feel wrapper flavor is around 40% of the flavor. But one appeal too smaller ring gauges is that there is less crap filler and more of the more expensive stuff in it. Is you haven't gone smaller then a 50 rg you are really missing out!!
    I concur. I also like to point out that not everyone has sensitive, highly tuned palates and therefore most people will have different experiences with different sizes. Some swear on 60 and up. Some like 50-60, and I fall into the 50 and below, with a preference along 38-44. So, even if the cigar is geared towards a certain flavor based on wrapper, components, construction, it could be lost on people.
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jgibv:
    Good post on pg 1, Irish Brett.
    And nice videos Drew.

Lanceros = more flavor.
    Nice smoke if you do it right, gotta slow down though & not puff too fast or else it will get hot and "ruined." Not as much forgiveness as robustos, toros, etc.

Big agreement with this:
    90+ Irishman:
    But the truth is that you get roughly 70-75% of the flavor of the cigar from the wrapper, and around equal measures of "body" (ie strength) from the filler. Also consider that the binder is typically a wrapper quality leaf that just isn't pretty enough to be used as a wrapper, so in most cases you have two sometimes even three leaves of wrapper tobacco (think double binders + wrapper like many/most Tat and DPG sticks) compared to the normal filler amount. .....

.....So anything good will be extra good but on the reverse side, harsh or unpleasant notes become that much more prevalent as well.

danielzreyes:
    Lanceros are gross
    Send them to me ... I'll "suffer" and smoke them for you
    ;-)
    Thanks John, much appreciated brother. Honestly to each their own with preferences, I prefer 50 rg and below more than not, but I can find at least one thing I like in any cigar, I just like people smoking cigars is all :)
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    I feel as if it is an squired taste and feel...some guys really like the big rg's and for me well I can't understand it. I'm a corona guy at heart and probably will never change that. But some people are afraid to jump into different sizes and stray away from what society seems too feel how big a cigar should be. If you cans figure out what the hype is try it.
    Money can't buy taste