Home Non Cigar Related
Options

YAHOO....I got jury duty.

jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
The last time I wore a "hang em high" shirt and I didn't get picked.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    LOL, I actually like Jury Duty and find the justice/court systems fascinating. I've never been picked either:

My f-i-l retired detective and my good friend is a special investigator for the DA...I'm usually let go pretty quickly but I hope to get on a jury one day.
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    If you have half a brain, you go home early. I've been many times. Never made it to lunch.
  • Options
    beatnic:
    If you have half a brain, you go home early. I've been many times. Never made it to lunch.

Assuming that I do have at least half a brain...I would like to be picked and end up as a juror in a big juicy sex, drugs and murder trial....oh wait, ain't no good hotels or restaurants in Gibson County. Half a day sounds right....
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    I got called once but didn't serve. I assumed that it was because my FIL is an ex-cop. Come to find out, it was because his ex-wife's current partner (on the beat, not life) was the lead detective on the investigation. She told me that I should have stuck around for the trial because it was a cool one, but it's not like I had a choice.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    When I worked for the circuit court I must have clerked hundreds of jury trials, but I've never once been called for jury duty and here in Oregon the pool is pulled from the drivers license list AND voter registration so I'm in twice. Jury verdicts are fascinating, you never know what happens once you close the door. I got pretty good at predicting outcomes based on the questions they sent to the judge during deliberations but on the whole? You just never know. I have always told friends that if you're innocent of a charge take a bench trial because the judge knows the law; if you're guilty take a jury trial, your odds are pretty good of getting off. It is shockingly easy to confuse 6 or twelve people.
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First time was a drunk driving case. Prosecution and defense both liked my face well enough, but then the judge asks me: "Is there any reason you should not serve?" I say: "Honestly, your honor, she looks like a goddammed drunk to me." He dismissed me. But she did look like an alky. Had the hair, the nose, the shakes.

Second time I was picked for a statutory rape case. The whole deal was such a trumped up ridiculous waste of time we all wondered what the hell. Took us all of 15 minutes and lunch to let him off. Later found out by research that the DA was required by the AG to prosecute each and every rape case allegation, regardless how weak. Political BS. Guys life was ruined by the time he paid his lawyers and all his neighbors gave him the fish eye and he had to live away from his children for a couple years until they came to trial.

Third time was just recently. Everyone settled on the morning of, so we went home by noon.

Bearswatter was called a couple months back. Had her pain doctor write them a letter saying "This gal is on narcotics".

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    Shucks....I missed getting on the Grand Jury by one seat. So now I have to call in on certain dates to see if I will serve on the Petite Jury.
  • Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    I've been called twice. Both times we were let go without any jury selection. Damn plea deals. I want to play!!!!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    PAtoNHPAtoNH Posts: 429
    Civic duty… watch "12 Angry Men" and suck it up! :)
  • Options
    SleevePlz:
    I've been called twice. Both times we were let go without any jury selection. Damn plea deals. I want to play!!!!

I would have loved to see the Grand Jury at work. It's a one way street, no defendant or defense present.
  • Options
    bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    beatnic:
    I guess I have a whole brain then (lol) as I have been called 15 times and have sat on 11 juries; 6 criminal cases and 5 civil cases, never a foreman and never will be. From the time I turned 18 I was called every 13th month for 6 years straight. I love jury duty but haven't sat on a jury since 2006. I keep checking the mail every day with the hopes of getting the summons.
  • Options
    brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    was picked once because of my technical aptitude for a trial that had to do with a plane malfunction and the owner of a property suing the maker of the plane that crashed into his property.

i was there for 4 days and then the last witness mentioned him already being paid by the insurance company and it was dismissed.....i was so freaking pissed.

it was a really interesting trial and i couldn't wait to get back into the room so we could talk about what everyone's take on it was. I was pretty damn sure that i was the only one with half an understanding of how anything technical works, much less the physics of how a plane takes off and how it maintains altitude. it was going to be fun explaining all that to a bunch of people who didn't graduate high school.
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    brianetz1:
    was picked once because of my technical aptitude for a trial that had to do with a plane malfunction and the owner of a property suing the maker of the plane that crashed into his property.

i was there for 4 days and then the last witness mentioned him already being paid by the insurance company and it was dismissed.....i was so freaking pissed.

it was a really interesting trial and i couldn't wait to get back into the room so we could talk about what everyone's take on it was. I was pretty damn sure that i was the only one with half an understanding of how anything technical works, much less the physics of how a plane takes off and how it maintains altitude. it was going to be fun explaining all that to a bunch of people who didn't graduate high school.
    Bernoulli is our friend, my friend.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.