Home Non Cigar Related
Options

First Round is On Me: An occasionally interesting, often irreverent look at cocktail culture.

EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
My two favorite consumables are cigars and cocktails. If you’re like me, please feel free to post your favorite cocktail recipes here. I’ll start.

Last year Jules and I went to Portland to celebrate her 40th birthday. We stayed in a funky little condo at the eastern most end of Hawthorn Street right across from the Sapphire Hotel. The Sapphire is an interesting place: At the turn of the century it was a “seedy hotel…inhabited by sailors, travelers, and ladies of the night.” Just about what you would expect from a place that rented rooms by the hour, I suppose. We got there just as happy hour started and found an intimate table for two near the window.

I ordered something, and Jules ordered a drink called the Cherry Blossom Girl, a tipple of their invention. This is my interpretation.

The base of the drink is cherry-infused bourbon. You need to start this at least a month in advance by infusing about a pound and a half of cherries in a bottle of bourbon. You don’t need top shelf bourbon for this drink but please don’t pull from the bottom shelf either – shoot for something eye-level if you can. The simplest way to infuse bourbon is to dump a pound and a half (or so) of cherries in a big enough jar, cover with bourbon, then stick the jar in a dark closet and wait. How long should you wait? That depends. If you make it with frozen cherries a month is fine. If you make them with fresh sour cherries or sweet cherries you need to add another month to this if you leave the cherries whole -- and by God, you should leave them whole so you’ll have a real cherry to garnish your next Manhattan instead of a rubbery, day glow abomination. Of course you should taste the bourbon along the way and use it only when there is a pronounced cherry flavor. Next, I soften the bourbon with a little cherry herring and then slap it around a little with a bit of homemade (of course) sour mix and a dash or two of bitters. While there is a broad range of bitters available across the county and most any will work in this cocktail you should try to get your hands on a bottle of Fee Brothers Cherry Bitters. You won’t be disappointed.

How would I describe the Cherry Blossom Girl? She is sweet, of course but not too sweet. She also has a bit of a naughty side too, and that is what will keep you coming back for more.

Here is how I make mine:

1 ½ oz of cherry-infused bourbon
½ oz Cherry Herring
1 oz of homemade sour mix
A dash or two of bitters
Soda

Add bourbon, Cherry Herring, sour mix, and bitters to a high ball glass. Stir. Fill glass with ice and top with soda. Garnish with a cherry and serve with a straw if you like.
-- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."

Comments

• Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    I remember my grandmother always kept a bottle of cheery bounce in the cabinet. Of course, we would sample it when given the chance. She always said "its' what you do with old bourbon and cherries". Her's was quite sweet.
  • Options
    firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    Darthy special......

Use one glass
    2 ice cubes
    fill the glass 3/4 full of Stranahan's Whiskey
    Drink
    Repeat a number of times

Marry Xmas
  • Options
    beatnic:
    I remember my grandmother always kept a bottle of cheery bounce in the cabinet. Of course, we would sample it when given the chance. She always said "its' what you do with old bourbon and cherries". Her's was quite sweet.
    Ha! Grandmothers :-). Mine taught me to make Gimlets!
  • Options
    perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    I don't usually like mixed drinks much, the usual mix of sweet and alcohol isn't one I like a whole lot. However, one of the best drinks I have ever had was the Charlie Chaplin at the pool bar at the Hotel Metropole in Hanoi. I was in the city with my grad school cohort, though we didn't stay at the hotel we had lunch at the pool bar. It was amazing, old mahogany bar and tables, the slowly rotating wicker panel fans, soft cushioned rattan furniture. As one of my classmates said "Never felt more like an old colonial in my life."

But anyway, back to the drink, it was an orange flavor that looked a lot like orange soda but taste was out of this world. it was served with lemon sorbet in a frozen lemon rind garnished with sugar. Just amazing. I can't find the right recipe, most of the ones online are slightly different.
  • Options
    I'm not a big fan of sticky sweet cocktails either. Fortunately there are plenty that are not!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    I like Old Fashioned's (lol) but I don't have a recipe beyond, I would like an Old Fashioned please. Makers bourbon is fine, thanks. I make my wife Cosmo's, when she isn't sipping my IPA's.

Ice, 2-3 Seconds pour of Vodka, 1 second pour of Triple Sec, Cranberry to taste, and squeeze of lime. Shaken and poured.
  • Options
    james40:
    I like Old Fashioned's (lol) but I don't have a recipe beyond, I would like an Old Fashioned please. Makers bourbon is fine, thanks. I make my wife Cosmo's, when she isn't sipping my IPA's.

Ice, 2-3 Seconds pour of Vodka, 1 second pour of Triple Sec, Cranberry to taste, and squeeze of lime. Shaken and poured.
    About a year ago I was in Olympia, WA for work. Fourth Avenue is full of all these dive bars. The first one I went to used autopsy tables for, well, for their tables. In each bar (I must have gone into four or five) I ordered an Old Fashion. Most were crap--well bourbon, seven-up, and a cherry. What was I thinking? I was a little drunk and a lot frustrated but decided to try one more place. The last place on the avenue was a gay and *** bar. What the hell, I went in, sat at the bar, and ordered an Old Fashion. The big *** at the bar made one of the best drinks I've every had. Here is how I make mine:

1 sugar cube
    A dash or two of bitters
    A half a slice of orange
    A couple of cherries
    1 1/2 oz Burbon
    Soda
    Another slice of orange and a cherry to garnish.

Drop the sugar cube in the bottom of an Old Fashion glass, pour the bitters over the sugar cube amd let the bitters soak in for a minute. Add the orange slice and cherry and muddle. Fill with ice, pour in the Burbon and top of with soda water. Garnish with the orange and cherry.
  • Options
    Echambers:
    james40:

About a year ago I was in Olympia, WA for work. Fourth Avenue is full of all these dive bars. The first one I went to used autopsy tables for, well, for their tables. In each bar (I must have gone into four or five) I ordered an Old Fashion. Most were crap--well bourbon, seven-up, and a cherry. What was I thinking? I was a little drunk and a lot frustrated but decided to try one more place. The last place on the avenue was a gay and *** bar. What the hell, I went in, sat at the bar, and ordered an Old Fashion. The big *** at the bar made one of the best drinks I've every had. Here is how I make mine:

1 sugar cube
    A dash or two of bitters
    A half a slice of orange
    A couple of cherries
    1 1/2 oz Burbon
    Soda

Drop the sugar cube in the bottom of an Old Fashion glass, pour the bitters over the sugar cube amd let the bitters soak in for a minute. Add the orange slice and cherry and muddle. Fill with ice, pour in the Burbon and top of with soda water. Garnish with the orange and cherry.
    thanks. What bourbon do you like? Provide favorite drink recipe, get bombed. Going on your last post, lol.
  • Options
    james40:
    Echambers:
    james40:

1 sugar cube
    A dash or two of bitters
    A half a slice of orange
    A couple of cherries
    1 1/2 oz Burbon
    Soda

thanks. What bourbon do you like? Provide favorite drink recipe, get bombed. Going on your last post, lol.
    My favorite is Bulleit. Yours?
  • Options
    Blantons and Makers but I haven't had a bunch. I heard Bulliet is good so I may pick some up. Do you have two slices of orange or one that's muddled and reused?
  • Options
    james40:
    Blantons and Makers but I haven't had a bunch. I heard Bulliet is good so I may pick some up. Do you have two slices of orange or one that's muddled and reused?
    Use a new orange slice and cherry for the garnish.
    . Also make a holiday version with a teaspoon of cranberry sauce in place of the cherry in the muddle. But you have to use home made cranberry sauce not the canned variety.
  • Options
    jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    Echambers:
    james40:
    . Also make a holiday version with a teaspoon of cranberry sauce in place of the cherry in the muddle. But you have to use home made cranberry sauce not the canned variety.
    To add to this, if you make sure to rinse the skin of the orange (or any citrus fruit you use in drinks) before and then use a zester on it, you will get more and better flavor from a smaller slice.

For my easy winter cocktail, I submit for your approval, the Hot Buttered Whiskey.

Ingredients:

1 sugar cube or 1 1/2 tsp brown sugar
    2 oz Bourbon or Rye (Sweet or Spicy)
    Pat of unsalted butter
    dash of Cinnamon
    dash of nutmeg
    dash of clove

Place all ingredients in an 8 oz mug, muddle if using sugar cube. Top with boiling water, stir once and enjoy.
  • Options
    gripnripgripnrip Posts: 502 ✭✭✭
    jthanatos:
    Echambers:
    james40:
    To add to this, if you make sure to rinse the skin of the orange (or any citrus fruit you use in drinks) before and then use a zester on it, you will get more and better flavor from a smaller slice.

For my easy winter cocktail, I submit for your approval, the Hot Buttered Whiskey.

Ingredients:

Pat of unsalted butter
    dash of Cinnamon
    dash of nutmeg
    dash of clove

Place all ingredients in an 8 oz mug, muddle if using sugar cube. Top with boiling water, stir once and enjoy.
    This will be done repeatedly this weekend.
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Favorite cocktail would probably be the traditional cuban mojito....
    Lime juice, sugar, mint, white rum, and club soda.

I rarely order them out though, bars/restaurants are always f**king it up. I've been served mojitos with no lime juice, no mint leaves, and even once was served one that was made with vodka instead of rum. YUCK!
    Only found 1 restaurant that makes them consistently good....

But in the warmer months I'll make them at home all the time.
    Some fresh mint from the garden, and our lime trees now mature and should start producing good fruit again when it warms up. mmm, yum.

Other than that....give me an old fashioned, or a manhattan - hard for bartenders to mess those up.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    allsmokedupallsmokedup Posts: 751 ✭✭
    jthanatos:
    Echambers:
    james40:

Ingredients:

Pat of unsalted butter
    dash of Cinnamon
    dash of nutmeg
    dash of clove

I'm going to make this for sure!
  • Options
    Since it is so fvcking cold right now and I am dreaming of summer, I submit my slightly harder summer cocktailconversation starter: Cuba Libre Float.

What you will need:

1 jar candied cherries (I like Luxardo, but use your favorites)
    Southern Comfort
    Absinthe
    Heavy Whipping Cream
    Confectioner's Sugar
    Dark Rum
    Vanilla Ice Cream
    Coca Cola made from cane sugar. Usually in your Mexican foods aisle.

Pre-work:

Take cherries and dump in a 1 pint mason jar. Fill remainder of jar with Southern Comfort and shake until well mixed. Store in fridge for at least a week (month prefered), shaking daily.

Morning of:

Make Whipped Cream following normal recipe, substitute 1 oz of Absinthe for every teaspoon of Vanilla you would normally add.

Now to enjoy:

Take a nice frosted mug, fill with 2 oz Rum and 8 oz Coca Cola. Float one scoop of the Vanilla Ice Cream and 1 oz more rum. Top with a generous dollop of your whipped cream and a SoCo cherry from your jar. Add straw and enjoy with your favorite ISOM.
  • Options
    ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    jthanatos:
    Since it is so fvcking cold right now and I am dreaming of summer, I submit my slightly harder summer cocktailconversation starter: Cuba Libre Float.

What you will need:

1 jar candied cherries (I like Luxardo, but use your favorites)
    Southern Comfort
    Absinthe
    Heavy Whipping Cream
    Confectioner's Suger
    Dark Rum
    Vanilla Ice Cream
    Coca Cola made from cane suger. Usually in your Mexican foods aisle.

Pre-work:

Take cherries and dump in a 1 pint mason jar. Fill remainder of jar with Southern Comfort and shake until well mixed. Store in fridge for at least a week (month prefered), shaking daily.

Morning of:

Make Whipped Cream following normal recipe, substitute 1 oz of Absinthe for every teaspoon of Vanilla you would normally add.

Now to enjoy:

Take a nice frosted mug, fill with 2 oz Rum and 8 oz Coca Cola. Float one scoop of the Vanilla Ice Cream and 1 oz more rum. Top with a generous dollop of your whipped cream and a SoCo cherry from your jar. Add straw and enjoy with your favorite ISOM.

Any recipe that uses alcohol containing a psychotropic substance is right up my alley!! James, I'll definitely give this a try!
  • Options
    allsmokedupallsmokedup Posts: 751 ✭✭
    I made the hot buttered rye. Is it supposed to be sweet or just enough to offset the rye?

My first batch was watered down, I used less water and more sugar the second time, but it still wasn't sweet. I also saw some recipes that used maple syrup and ginger liquer... may have to substitute some ginger beer for the water.
  • Options
    allsmokedup:
    I made the hot buttered rye. Is it supposed to be sweet or just enough to offset the rye?

My first batch was watered down, I used less water and more sugar the second time, but it still wasn't sweet. I also saw some recipes that used maple syrup and ginger liquer... may have to substitute some ginger beer for the water.
    Rye will be less sweet than bourbon, just naturally. Also, the 2oz to 6oz ratio is a good starting point, but you will have to futz with it based on the ABV of your base spirit. Finally, at least in my opinion, this is not meant to be a 'sweet drink'. More like a hot apple cider or glögg, there is sweetness there, but a bracing amount of spices on the tongue and nose. However, if you like it sweet, I would either double the sugar, or switch to a honeyed whiskey like Wild Turkey American Honey or Seagrams Honey.
  • Options
    I didn't make this but had to have one Saturday night after our monthly maintenance work.

• Options
    Back in the day when cougars were still considered stalk-and-ambush predators of the genus and species Puma concolor, rather than stalk-and-ambush predators of the genus and species **** sapiens, I found myself sitting in a hotel bar in Washington DC having just been jilted by the women I drove six hours to see. I was her first love and I assumed that that would be enough to overlook the fact that I had been absent from her life for the last two years and a real ‘Class A’ jerk when we were together. Clearly it was not enough. As I have grown older I have, for the most part anyway, development better coping skills but on this particular night I found myself drowning in silly cocktails in a hotel bar full of silly lobbyists vying for the attention of silly politicians.

I had more hotel than I needed, especially now that I was most assuredly sleeping alone, and more money than common sense.

I was drinking a cocktail called a Sea Breeze which is a slightly bitter cocktail made with vodka, cranberry juice, and grapefruit juice served over ice in a tall glass. I admit this only for the sake of historical accuracy. I suppose if I were sitting on the beach and a tropical sea breeze was blowing through my hair this might have been a good drink to have in hand but in a hotel bar in the heart of the Nation’s Capital, it was silly.

The bar was crowded for 3 o’clock in the afternoon and as we all know there are few things more lonely that being alone in a crowded bar. I was just about to order another drink when a woman twice my age leaned over and whispered, “Why don’t you let me buy you a real drink?” The idea of free booze was enough to make me overlook the fact that she likely had kids my age.

What she ordered was this: Chivas, neat, with just a space of water.

In the world of cocktails, vodka rains supreme, followed by rum, and gin. Very few mixed drinks are made with scotch--after all, cocktails were invented to tame rough spirits and scotch aficionados would suggest that good scotch doesn’t need to be mixed with anything else. Of course nowadays you could make that argument about any premium spirit: good tequila, for example, doesn’t need a margarita to find fulfillment.

I’ll end this part of the story here, if for no other reason then to save the reputation of a women who is most likely a grandmother by now and get back to the point of the story which was to share my recipe for the Penicillin Cocktail

The Penicillin is one of the few scotch-based cocktails of merit. It’s made with a both a blended scotch (like Chivas) and a single malt (like Laphroig, though really any single malt from the Island if Islay would do just fine), lemon juice, and a simple syrup made with honey and ginger. Here is how I make mine:

Start with the simple syrup: bring 1 cup of water, 1 cup of honey, and three or four healthy slices of fresh ginger just to a boil of medium heat, stirring constantly. Simmer for a few minutes until the honey and water are completely integrated. Let cool with the ginger still in the pot. Once cool remove the ginger and store in a clean bottle in the refrigerator. This will keep indefinitely but my guess is you will be making this often.

2 oz. blended scotch
    ¾ oz. freshly squeezed lemon juice
    ¾ oz. honey/ginger simple syrup
    ¼ oz. single malt scotch

Add the blended scotch, lemon juice, and simple syrup to a cocktail shaker full of ice and shake until frost starts to form on the outside of the shaker. Strain and pour into a rocks or old fashioned glass. Pour the single malt over the top of the cocktail so that it floats on the top. Garnish with a slice of candied ginger if you must.
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Echambers:
    Back in the day when cougars were still considered stalk-and-ambush predators of the genus and species Puma concolor, rather than stalk-and-ambush predators of the genus and species **** sapiens, I found myself sitting in a hotel bar in Washington DC having just been jilted by the women I drove six hours to see. I was her first love and I assumed that that would be enough to overlook the fact that I had been absent from her life for the last two years and a real ‘Class A’ jerk when we were together. Clearly it was not enough. As I have grown older I have, for the most part anyway, development better coping skills but on this particular night I found myself drowning in silly cocktails in a hotel bar full of silly lobbyists vying for the attention of silly politicians.

I had more hotel than I needed, especially now that I was most assuredly sleeping alone, and more money than common sense.

I was drinking a cocktail called a Sea Breeze which is a slightly bitter cocktail made with vodka, cranberry juice, and grapefruit juice served over ice in a tall glass. I admit this only for the sake of historical accuracy. I suppose if I were sitting on the beach and a tropical sea breeze was blowing through my hair this might have been a good drink to have in hand but in a hotel bar in the heart of the Nation’s Capital, it was silly.

The bar was crowded for 3 o’clock in the afternoon and as we all know there are few things more lonely that being alone in a crowded bar. I was just about to order another drink when a woman twice my age leaned over and whispered, “Why don’t you let me buy you a real drink?” The idea of free booze was enough to make me overlook the fact that she likely had kids my age.

What she ordered was this: Chivas, neat, with just a space of water.

In the world of cocktails, vodka rains supreme, followed by rum, and gin. Very few mixed drinks are made with scotch--after all, cocktails were invented to tame rough spirits and scotch aficionados would suggest that good scotch doesn’t need to be mixed with anything else. Of course nowadays you could make that argument about any premium spirit: good tequila, for example, doesn’t need a margarita to find fulfillment.

I’ll end this part of the story here, if for no other reason then to save the reputation of a women who is most likely a grandmother by now and get back to the point of the story which was to share my recipe for the Penicillin Cocktail

The Penicillin is one of the few scotch-based cocktails of merit. It’s made with a both a blended scotch (like Chivas) and a single malt (like Laphroig, though really any single malt from the Island if Islay would do just fine), lemon juice, and a simple syrup made with honey and ginger. Here is how I make mine:

Start with the simple syrup: bring 1 cup of water, 1 cup of honey, and three or four healthy slices of fresh ginger just to a boil of medium heat, stirring constantly. Simmer for a few minutes until the honey and water are completely integrated. Let cool with the ginger still in the pot. Once cool remove the ginger and store in a clean bottle in the refrigerator. This will keep indefinitely but my guess is you will be making this often.

2 oz. blended scotch
    ¾ oz. freshly squeezed lemon juice
    ¾ oz. honey/ginger simple syrup
    ¼ oz. single malt scotch

Add the blended scotch, lemon juice, and simple syrup to a cocktail shaker full of ice and shake until frost starts to form on the outside of the shaker. Strain and pour into a rocks or old fashioned glass. Pour the single malt over the top of the cocktail so that it floats on the top. Garnish with a slice of candied ginger if you must.
    I've been trying to work out how to do this since last summer only I was thinking JD unaged rye would be a good spirit for it because it's got a citrus (what I think of as blackberry but probably isn't) note to it. I was using bottled sour mix,muddled ginger, and lime juice. Bad ingredients, wrong citrus. gotta try it your way sometime soon, both with the scotch and the unaged rye.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    Since we are discussing Scotch based cocktails, one of my favorites (other than my old standby, the Rusty Nail) is the Blood and Sand.

Ingredients:

1 oz Blended Scotch (I use Monkey Shoulder)
    1 oz Blood Orange juice (Fresh squeezed is the way to go on this, don't skimp)
    3/4 oz Sweet Vermouth
    3/4 oz Heering Cherry Liqueur.

Place everything into your cocktail shaker and fill with ice. Shake until well chilled (about 10 seconds). Pour into a chilled cocktail glass. Garnish with cherry and a twist of that blood orange.
  • Options
    jthanatos:
    Since we are discussing Scotch based cocktails, one of my favorites (other than my old standby, the Rusty Nail) is the Blood and Sand.

Ingredients:

1 oz Blended Scotch (I use Monkey Shoulder)
    1 oz Blood Orange juice (Fresh squeezed is the way to go on this, don't skimp)
    3/4 oz Sweet Vermouth
    3/4 oz Heering Cherry Liqueur.

Place everything into your cocktail shaker and fill with ice. Shake until well chilled (about 10 seconds). Pour into a chilled cocktail glass. Garnish with cherry and a twist of that blood orange.
    I love The Blood and Sand!