Home Cigar 101
Options

how to make a coolidor?

ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
There have been numerous references to a coolidor on here and I am wondering how you make one. Obviously a cooler and some kind of humidification. But can someone take me through how to set it up?

Comments

• Options
    Thats about all there is to it. Just be sure that the cooler doesn't have any funky odors.

Add humidity, add something to measure the humidity, add cigars, and enjoy!

Try and get a decent sized cooler, that way you can just throw whole boxes directly in.
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    If you really want to get jiggy with it, you can break up some cigar boxes and line the inside of the cooler with spanish cedar. I actually covered the bottom of my two coolerdors with loose tobacco, I find it helps hold the humidity (and it smells great).
  • Options
    Renaissance_ManRenaissance_Man Posts: 973 ✭✭
    alienmisprint:
    If you really want to get jiggy with it, you can break up some cigar boxes and line the inside of the cooler with spanish cedar. I actually covered the bottom of my two coolerdors with loose tobacco, I find it helps hold the humidity (and it smells great).
    Where do you get that loose tobacco from?
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    Renaissance_Man:
    alienmisprint:
    Where do you get that loose tobacco from?
    I got mine from boxes of La Vieja Habana. The cigars come packed in loose tobacco in the box. If you go to a B&M that sells the LVH line, I imagine you could talk them into letting you get the old boxes (the boxes themselves are cardboard) which have the tobacco in them.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    You may want to check the seal on the cooler as well. When I first purchased mine the seal was great, but somewhere along the line it got out of whack and I could not maintain humidity. It was a simple enough fix, I just lined the lip of the lid with some rubber tape, but I'm not sure how long it was like that before I caught it...the cigars don't seem to be affected, so maybe all is well.