Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Recommended Stouts/Porters

What's everyone drinking of the darker persuasion? I'm kinda mad at the current ipa trend that's happening lately.

Comments

• Options
    VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    Amen to hating on the IPAs. I will do some Porters and Stouts, but I myself am a wheat beer and hefenweizen kinda guy and while you can find some good ones----the IPAs are still dominating.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    BORIS the Crusher by Hoppin F/rog

Blackout stout by Great Lakes Brewery.

Siberian Night by thirsty dog brewing

Punch miller Milk punch stout by Zombie safehouse brewery

there are so many good ones out there. those are just some decent locals for me.
  • Options
    jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    Founder's Breakfast Stout
  • Options
    I dig pretty much anything Founders makes. Ya can't really go wrong there. Great Lakes does some good stuff too. Just get bored of the same ol same ol.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    Stockyard Oatmeal Stout - bottles at Trader Joes

• Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    Where are you located? I can check distro to your area and see what ones I've had that stand out. Bourbon County just hit most markets and they made 5x more than in past years so it should be relatively easy to find (although pricey) if you want a big, sweet, boozy, bourbony, chocolatey stout. It's a sipper.
  • Options
    Rob1110:
    Where are you located? I can check distro to your area and see what ones I've had that stand out. Bourbon County just hit most markets and they made 5x more than in past years so it should be relatively easy to find (although pricey) if you want a big, sweet, boozy, bourbony, chocolatey stout. It's a sipper.
    My Bevmo's sold out in 15 minutes.....
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    jthanatos:
    i find the bite on that one a bit distracting. still a good beer but a touch over rated.

creme brulee stout from southern tier suffers from the same issue. it is tasty as hell but there is a bit of a bite on there that is distracting.

of course to get big flavors you need lots of grains and therefore a high OG and therefore a high ABV and that combo with the sweetness produces a bite. so i get why it is there but they are bit out of balance in my opinion.

if those beers are cellar aged for a few years then they could settle down a bit.
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Car Ramrod:
    What's everyone drinking of the darker persuasion? I'm kinda mad at the current ipa trend that's happening lately.
    Agreed. I don't generally care for IPAs anyway. I prefer a Hefe or Wit or something really dark. And I'm averse to an overwhelming hops presence, which IPA seems to do a lot.

But, cigars are almost too expensive for me, so I really can't get on this thread or any like it at the risk of my marriage and financial future. I will say that I had some tap Schlafley Hefe while I was passing through St. Louis after Thanksgiving. Good stuff. Their website lists distributors in Memphis and N. Miss. but I've never seen any of their beer in stores or on tap around here.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    curtpickcurtpick Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭
    Well hello Mrs Teach !!!....
    Did you not try the Millstream Backroad at the Herf ?
    What did ya think? ?
    Family, Friends, Golf, Cigars, Fine Whiskey, Good beer.... is there anything else ?  Follow on instagram @crguy1961
  • Options
    james40:
    I'd expect any store with an online business to sell out that quickly. Try more local stores. LOTS of places around me got it. Even ones that didn't get much in past years (1 case at best) got 3+ cases this year. My store still has about 3 cases left.
  • Options
    jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    jthanatos:
    i find the bite on that one a bit distracting. still a good beer but a touch over rated.

creme brulee stout from southern tier suffers from the same issue. it is tasty as hell but there is a bit of a bite on there that is distracting.

of course to get big flavors you need lots of grains and therefore a high OG and therefore a high ABV and that combo with the sweetness produces a bite. so i get why it is there but they are bit out of balance in my opinion.

if those beers are cellar aged for a few years then they could settle down a bit.
    See, I disagree here because I prefer my beers to be higher ABV. Don't even really notice a bite in the Founders unlike certain Imperial or Milk stouts. That said, it may just be a reflection of my prefered beverages being whiskey and the like.
  • Options
    Rob1110:
    james40:
    I'd expect any store with an online business to sell out that quickly. Try more local stores. LOTS of places around me got it. Even ones that didn't get much in past years (1 case at best) got 3+ cases this year. My store still has about 3 cases left.
    I've been trying but these were in store purchases, not online. It looked like a small black friday line to be honest...., I'm going to continue to look :-) I'm kind of burned out on these quests from the Pliney 5 month adventure.
  • Options
    I hear ya. The whole craft beer scene has gotten a bit stupid if you ask me. I hope you're able to find some. I've had it on tap this year but haven't cracked a bottle yet. On tap, it's stellar. My buddy had both and said the bottle was sweeter than tap, loved both but preferred tap slightly.
  • Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    curtpick:
    What did ya think? ?
    Did like that very much actually.... but after the wine, scotch, rums and various other beers I think my mouth was just a cornucopia of booze.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    SleevePlz:
    curtpick:
    What did ya think? ?
    Did like that very much actually.... but after the wine, scotch, rums and various other beers I think my mouth was just a cornucopia of booze.
    Having 2 accounts in the household is going to be a problem I think
  • Options
    curtpickcurtpick Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭
    Car Ramrod:
    SleevePlz:
    curtpick:
    What did ya think? ?
    Just let me know if ya want some ! Yummy !! And Millstream is putting out their special batch this Friday of it ! Only in the big bottles and can only be bought at the Brewery. Barrel aged Back Road Stout !! Mouth is watering already !
    Family, Friends, Golf, Cigars, Fine Whiskey, Good beer.... is there anything else ?  Follow on instagram @crguy1961
  • Options
    Darth_VaderDarth_Vader Posts: 223
    Left hand Milk Stout

Breckenridge Vanilla Porter

Basically anything I sent June a few weeks ago.
  • Options
    Darth Vader:
    Left hand Milk Stout

Jiunn shared those with me...I thought the Vanilla would be better warmer than colder...
  • Options
    big chunksbig chunks Posts: 1,607
    I really enjoy Stone IRS, and my go to inexpensive stout North Country Old Rasputin
  • Options
    Bobbo2009Bobbo2009 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭
    Great Rivers Brewery Redband Stout, if you like coffee and beer. This is one of my all time favs. The Great River Brewery in Davenport, IA teamed up with a local coffee shop, Redband, and made a stout. I love their coffee and Great River, to me, is one of the best micros out there. If you can't finds them in your area send me a pm.

Rob
  • Options
    Bobbo2009Bobbo2009 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭
    Darth Vader:
    Left hand Milk Stout

Both of these are great. I always get on a kick for the Vanilla Porter for a few months after the New Year. There is a restaurant here that has the Milk stout on tap and I always have to order one.
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    curtpick:
    Car Ramrod:
    SleevePlz:
    curtpick:
    What did ya think? ?
    Just let me know if ya want some ! Yummy !! And Millstream is putting out their special batch this Friday of it ! Only in the big bottles and can only be bought at the Brewery. Barrel aged Back Road Stout !! Mouth is watering already !
    I think it just makes bombing both y'all at the same time much easier ;)
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bobbo2009:
    Darth Vader:
    Left hand Milk Stout

Both of these are great. I always get on a kick for the Vanilla Porter for a few months after the New Year. There is a restaurant here that has the Milk stout on tap and I always have to order one.
    If you can ever try the Milk Stout in Nitro it's a completely different brew and far better IMHO.
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    pelirrojopelirrojo Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    Murphy's Stout in my opinion is a mighty fine brew; creamy, very drinkable, relatively low alcohol content so it's sessionable. Steer clear of their red ale though. Young's oatmeal stout is another good one from that side of the pond. I would drink both of those over a Guinness(blasphemy I know.) Boulevard porter from Kansas City is good they also make a winter seasonal called Nutcracker that is very good but hoppy. Breckenridge also makes a good oatmeal stout as well as Schalfly out of St Louis. Odell(Ft. Collins) makes a good porter and so does Sierra Nevada. I like Sierra Nevada's Stout as well. Ska Steel Toe milk stout from Durango, CO is also very good. It's pretty hard to find a bad stout or porter.
  • Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    big chunks:
    I really enjoy Stone IRS, and my go to inexpensive stout North Country Old Rasputin

This. I was about to post those exact beers! Lost Coast 8 Ball is my normal every day stout, Stones Vanilla Smoked Porter just hit shelves again (winter release) and Anderson Valley Bourbon Barrel is one that im currently stuck on, really good and way easier to find than other BB stouts. Ale Smith Speedway Stout is good to if you can find it.
  • Options
    JSaintJSaint Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭
    So many great stouts are available. Founders Breakfast, previously mentioned Alesmith Speedway, shortly being released Stone IRS, Left Hand Milk Stout, Bells Kalamazoo/Cherry/Double Cream Stout, and on. I highly recommend Central Waters Bourbon Stout if you can find some. Amazing this year.
    "Beauty is in the eye when you hold her." -Ricky
  • Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Resurrecting an old thread. I am not a beer guy. Well, at least not regular beer. I have started picking up a few ales and Stouts here and there. I have found that I really like the Stouts I have tried but I am totally a noob and have no idea what I am doing. I tried the Southern Tier Warlock and it was good. Need to try the Pumking next. The seasonal stuff is great and I am looking forward to the Christmas stuff coming up too. I found the warmer the stout gets the better it is. I am wanting to pick up some Dragon's Milk and more. Just kind of overwhelmed and not sure which direction to go. My favorite Viaje Cigars go well with a good stout. Shoot some recommendations at me. I have a big empty fridge in the garage I am planning on stocking up.
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    james40:
    Stockyard Oatmeal Stout - bottles at Trader Joes

Great stuff but no Trader Joe's anywhere near me.
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jsnake:
    Resurrecting an old thread. I am not a beer guy. Well, at least not regular beer. I have started picking up a few ales and Stouts here and there. I have found that I really like the Stouts I have tried but I am totally a noob and have no idea what I am doing. I tried the Southern Tier Warlock and it was good. Need to try the Pumking next. The seasonal stuff is great and I am looking forward to the Christmas stuff coming up too. I found the warmer the stout gets the better it is. I am wanting to pick up some Dragon's Milk and more. Just kind of overwhelmed and not sure which direction to go. My favorite Viaje Cigars go well with a good stout. Shoot some recommendations at me. I have a big empty fridge in the garage I am planning on stocking up.
    Dontcha have some brew pubs there in KC? I have found the best stout is fresh stout. Go get yourself a steak and stout at the local brew pub, and if you like it, score a growler to take home. Be my suggestion.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)