Home Cigar 101
Options

Did You Know?

Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
I just wrote a post about how the cigar boom of the 1990's changed the many ways people go about describing cigars and it made me think about other changes throughout the history of cigars.

One interesting fact is how the names of figurados have changed. For example, today we use the words torpedo, pyramid and belicoso interchangeably to describe the same size. However, many years ago, each of these was a very different size. For example, a torpedo was tapered on both ends bulged in the middle, basically what is today referred to as a perfecto or preferido. The La Aurora Preferido is exactly the shape that was origianlly the torpedo. If you look at that shape, it actually looks like a torpedo you might find on a naval vessel. Pyramid is the actual terms we use today which means a cigar with a pointed head that tapers from head to foot. This is like the montecristo #2 and most other cigars we refer to today as torpedos. A traditional belicoso also has a pointed head but technically should be on a normal shaped cigar that does not taper but is a standard round parejo.

Comments

• Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Interesting, I did not know that about torpedos, though I was aware, somehow or another, of what a pyramid and belicoso originally were. I don't know why they can't just have some industry-wide standards as far as size in concerned.
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    j0z3r:
    Interesting, I did not know that about torpedos, though I was aware, somehow or another, of what a pyramid and belicoso originally were. I don't know why they can't just have some industry-wide standards as far as size in concerned.
    I have a theory about this. Probably full of **** too !
    I figure that as the Torcedores were doing their thing, every once in a while they would change something in the way they were rolling and the outcome was a stick with a familiar but "new" shape to it. If the shape was different enough they gave it a new name. These things being hand rolled by many different people must "morph" as time and rollers changes. JMO
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    laker1963:
    j0z3r:
    I have a theory about this. Probably full of **** too !
    I figure that as the Torcedores were doing their thing, every once in a while they would change something in the way they were rolling and the outcome was a stick with a familiar but "new" shape to it. If the shape was different enough they gave it a new name. These things being hand rolled by many different people must "morph" as time and rollers changes. JMO
    I'm just campaigning to get a size called a "Nate"

My life will be complete then
  • Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    Lasabar:
    I'm just campaigning to get a size called a "Nate"

My life will be complete then

If I knew you better, I would respond by saying, "Oh, didn't you know? They already have a name for 4.5" long, thin cigars. The Petite Corona!" But that would be rude, since I am new here and I would never dream about making innuendos in my first 20 posts. Yep, that would be just rude.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Hmmm. Hey Lassie. What size would the " Nate" be anyway? I'm just askin'
  • Options
    kaspera79:
    Hmmm. Hey Lassie. What size would the " Nate" be anyway? I'm just askin'
    Have you ever seen those Upmann's that come 60 to a box, the Demitasse? Yeah, think shorter and skinnier.
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    What I lack in size I make up in girth...

You ever phucked a tuna can???
  • Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    lol, so horrible.
  • Options
    Lasabar:

You must use one of those can openers that leaves a smooth edge. Either that or you like the "hot dog in a hallway" scenario. o_O
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Lasabar:

Hell mine wouldn't fit in a tuna can! The only problem is if it would.... I wouldn't reach the bottom. They call me Stump. haha

Back on topic here, thanks for the info Alex! I wasn't aware of this evolutuion over the years. I pretty much have always called any cigar with a point at one end a Torpedo, and if it was pointed on both ends a perfecto. I guess it is easier to market that way to people who aren't cigar nerds like most of us here.
  • Options
    HugemooseHugemoose Posts: 458
    Lasabar:

No no no.....picture a twizzler. That's a real man right there...
  • Options
    HugemooseHugemoose Posts: 458
    Oh, and that is some great info on cigars Alex. Thank you!
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    That's interesting to know, thanks for the info!

"Long ashes my friends."