Home Non Cigar Related
Options

New Job

alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
Well, it is official, I am now an employee of Year of the Monkey Tattoo in Leesville, LA. Their MySpace is here: www.myspace.com/inkislife . This has been a dream of mine for 10 years or so now, you have no idea how ecstatic I am. I am going in tomorrow for my first day, I will get my work area set up and get some pics up tomorrow evening.

Comments

• Options
    TheShaunTheShaun Posts: 425
    Congrats on the new gig!

I just noticed you're in LA. I was just down in that neck of the woods. My girlfriend is from Baton Rouge, and we were there for a week last month. Next scheduled stop in LA, two weeks over Christmas and New Years.
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    That is great news!!!

My next stop is to get my "Member" tatooed like an Opus X
  • Options
    GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    Lasabar:
    That is great news!!!

would that be the Perfecxion No. 5?

;)
  • Options
    Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    Goldy:
    Lasabar:
    That is great news!!!

;)
    Shouldn't it be a Nub Connie to make it a bit more proportional?
  • Options
    Renaissance_ManRenaissance_Man Posts: 973 ✭✭
    alienmisprint:
    Well, it is official, I am now an employee of Year of the Monkey Tattoo in Leesville, LA. Their MySpace is here: www.myspace.com/inkislife . This has been a dream of mine for 10 years or so now, you have no idea how ecstatic I am. I am going in tomorrow for my first day, I will get my work area set up and get some pics up tomorrow evening.
    Will you give any discounts to forum members ;)? I have been wanting a tattoo for a looong time... As soon as I get my US Visa I'm inking one...
  • Options
    bigbgballzbigbgballz Posts: 283
    Garen B:
    Goldy:
    Lasabar:
    That is great news!!!

;)
    Shouldn't it be a Nub Connie to make it a bit more proportional?
    LOL! Congrtas on the new job!
  • Options
    clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    Kick ass! That's awesome man. I'm happy for you!
  • Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on the new job! I have a piece on my back that I've been itching to fill out - I need to get back into the shop! Best of luck to ya
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    Congrats Alien...nothing better than doing what you love (or at least I would assume so, my job is boring as hell, tough to quit though since it pays the bills).
  • Options
    Congrats bro. If I'm ever in LA, your putting some ink on me. My goal is two full sleeves and some random work on the rest of my body. I'm dying to get another tattoo, I'm suffering from the disease called broke right now though. My financial aid from school is almost three weeks late now.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the congrats everyone, you really have no idea how huge this is to me.

TheShaun - Baton Rouge is an awesome city , I absolutely loved it. I would say swing by here when you come down for Christmas, but we will be in NC for Christmas this year. If you do head this way at any point, there is a killer B&M in Lake Charles you should check out.

Lassie - I actually do have a tattoo on my member; trust me, it is not a pleasant experience

Garen - I think you are giving Lassie far too much credit, perhaps a petit corona would be more accurate

Ren - Hell to the yeah, if you bring your monkey ass down here, I will hook you up, lol. Why do you say you have to wait for your Visa to get a tattoo? Or do you mean you want to actually get the Visa tattooed on you?

Hays - you have a ton of very talented artists in your area, who is working on your back?

Luko - it really is something I love doing, and even though it is technically a second job, to me it really is recreational.
  • Options
    Here's a picture of the re-work I did yesterday:

Nothing too grand, but it got my foot in the door and my ass in a chair, lol.
  • Options
    And here is my work station:

• Options
    dude, you workstation is immacualte. I would give my first born to tattooed in an area that clean. Most of the shops in akron, oh. are a little grungy.
  • Options
    alienmisprint:
    Ren - Hell to the yeah, if you bring your monkey ass down here, I will hook you up, lol. Why do you say you have to wait for your Visa to get a tattoo? Or do you mean you want to actually get the Visa tattooed on you?
    Not an American Citizen yet :)... So I want to kind of "celebrate" getting the visa with finally inking some ideas I've had... I plan on spending the day I get it with 5 cigars - Opus X, Camacho Liberty, Stradivarius, La Aurora Preferido Maduro, and God of Fire, and then ink some sick stuff on my hands and somewhere on my legs. I would enjoy a roadtrip to you just for the heck of it and will smoke some stogies, drink some beer, and get some ink from you... Hopefully the ink will come first - i don't want you sticking a needle in me drunk! lol... I've been wanting for a long time to tattoo something on me connected with my roommate/friend/fraternity brother who passed away almost 2 years ago, but I have no ideas. You got any suggestions? All I resorted to was an engraved silver ring with his name on it... He has played pivotal part in my life and I want to immortalize him somehow on my body.. Anyway... Once again - congrats man! This is really exciting!
  • Options
    alienmisprint:
    Hays - you have a ton of very talented artists in your area, who is working on your back?
    His name's Rob...short, serious Puerto Rican man that's pretty chill. Works out of Point of Darkness Tattoo in the area - been doing ink for like 10 years and has done some wicked stuff. The piece on my back right now is awesome, I love it, but it's not even close to what this guy can do.. I just spent several years designing it exactly the way I wanted it, and so it's a little simple, but perfect for me.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i135/Dhays06/DavysTatoo3.jpg

I know what I want to add in on the bottom, but I'm a little tossed on the sides and top. Heyyyy....I'd love to see what you can come up with if ya get really bored and wanna sketch something...??? lol

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    JdoraisJdorais Posts: 652
    i don't know what it is about the sound of a tattoo gun, but it relaxes me.....
  • Options
    jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    while a part of me thinks that would be pretty freaking sweet, I really hope your joking lasabar!
  • Options
    These Filthy Hands:
    dude, you workstation is immacualte. I would give my first born to tattooed in an area that clean. Most of the shops in akron, oh. are a little grungy.
    Having a sanitary environment is critical to the tattooing process. I wouldn't even think about tattooing out of a dirty workstation.

Hays:
    alienmisprint:
    His name's Rob...short, serious Puerto Rican man that's pretty chill. Works out of Point of Darkness Tattoo in the area - been doing ink for like 10 years and has done some wicked stuff. The piece on my back right now is awesome, I love it, but it's not even close to what this guy can do.. I just spent several years designing it exactly the way I wanted it, and so it's a little simple, but perfect for me.

I know what I want to add in on the bottom, but I'm a little tossed on the sides and top. Heyyyy....I'd love to see what you can come up with if ya get really bored and wanna sketch something...??? lol
    What kind of theme are you looking for? Staying religious, life/death, good/evil, something else? I actually spend most of my time at the shop drawing if I am not tattooing, so I could probably get around to doodling something up.

Renaissance_Man:
    alienmisprint:
    Not an American Citizen yet :)... So I want to kind of "celebrate" getting the visa with finally inking some ideas I've had... I plan on spending the day I get it with 5 cigars - Opus X, Camacho Liberty, Stradivarius, La Aurora Preferido Maduro, and God of Fire, and then ink some sick stuff on my hands and somewhere on my legs. I would enjoy a roadtrip to you just for the heck of it and will smoke some stogies, drink some beer, and get some ink from you... Hopefully the ink will come first - i don't want you sticking a needle in me drunk! lol... I've been wanting for a long time to tattoo something on me connected with my roommate/friend/fraternity brother who passed away almost 2 years ago, but I have no ideas. You got any suggestions? All I resorted to was an engraved silver ring with his name on it... He has played pivotal part in my life and I want to immortalize him somehow on my body.. Anyway... Once again - congrats man! This is really exciting!
    No worries bro, I wouldn't tattoo drunk. As far as what to get, the obvious choice is a portrait. I'm not there yet, but there are a ton of really talented artists in the New York/New England area. Check out anyone at Hope Galleries (Massachusetts), anyone at Off the Map Tattoo (Connecticut), Paul Booth (NYC), and Corey Cudney (Buffalo) to start. I really want to get some work by Corey, he is a super talented artist.

If you don't want to go with a portrait, look at your friend's interests. If he was heavy into music, maybe a collage of his favorite bands. If he was a gear-head, maybe a spark plug with some crossed wrenches. There are limitless possibilities, it is just a matter of finding a single memory that has alot of meaning to you and referencing it. I just got a pocket knife (an Old Timer pocket knife to be exact) tattooed on the inside of my arm for my father. I remember almost every night, he would sit on the couch and sharpen that little pocket knife on a wet-stone. He would keep a knife and sharpen it every night until, after a couple of years, the blade was about half its original size. After that, it was time to get a new Old Timer, lol. Find a memory like that of your friend and then it is just a matter of translating that memory to an image.
  • Options
    alienmisprint:
    No worries bro, I wouldn't tattoo drunk. As far as what to get, the obvious choice is a portrait. I'm not there yet, but there are a ton of really talented artists in the New York/New England area. Check out anyone at Hope Galleries (Massachusetts), anyone at Off the Map Tattoo (Connecticut), Paul Booth (NYC), and Corey Cudney (Buffalo) to start. I really want to get some work by Corey, he is a super talented artist.

If you don't want to go with a portrait, look at your friend's interests. If he was heavy into music, maybe a collage of his favorite bands. If he was a gear-head, maybe a spark plug with some crossed wrenches. There are limitless possibilities, it is just a matter of finding a single memory that has alot of meaning to you and referencing it. I just got a pocket knife (an Old Timer pocket knife to be exact) tattooed on the inside of my arm for my father. I remember almost every night, he would sit on the couch and sharpen that little pocket knife on a wet-stone. He would keep a knife and sharpen it every night until, after a couple of years, the blade was about half its original size. After that, it was time to get a new Old Timer, lol. Find a memory like that of your friend and then it is just a matter of translating that memory to an image.
    These are great suggestions... I don't know yet... But some things that stand out for ideas - he was a golfer (on the golf team) and loved it - he stayed in college 2 additional years just cause he loved playing college golf so much. He enjoyed life to the fullest. The other most memorable things from him - his bright orange (natural) hair and welcoming smile! I think the best time we had was when him and my other best friend went for a roadtrip to Ocean City, MD... Wish I could tattoo an accent on myself - that would make it easier ;)... Anyway - thanks for the suggestions! I gotta think. I guess it would be best to contact the artist too for ideas?
  • Options
    cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    Very nice work there, Tony! Nice station too. It might be worth a trip trere for some ink, i think....
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Renaissance_Man:
    alienmisprint:

These are great suggestions... I don't know yet... But some things that stand out for ideas - he was a golfer (on the golf team) and loved it - he stayed in college 2 additional years just cause he loved playing college golf so much. He enjoyed life to the fullest. The other most memorable things from him - his bright orange (natural) hair and welcoming smile! I think the best time we had was when him and my other best friend went for a roadtrip to Ocean City, MD... Wish I could tattoo an accent on myself - that would make it easier ;)... Anyway - thanks for the suggestions! I gotta think. I guess it would be best to contact the artist too for ideas?

How about a cross made of golf clubs with his birth and death dates under it. His initials in an arc above the clubs cross and the image (which would represent you) of a man kneiling to the side and facing the cross with a cigar in his mouth/hand ....I'm probably not describing that very well but it looks cool in my mind ...
  • Options
    alienmisprint:
    Hays:
    alienmisprint:

What kind of theme are you looking for? Staying religious, life/death, good/evil, something else? I actually spend most of my time at the shop drawing if I am not tattooing, so I could probably get around to doodling something up.
    What I want to do along the bottom is have a large collection of stones spread out, and then in each stone is going to have the birth date of members of my family and important people in my life. What just occurred to me yesterday was that I think I want this to look like a pond or something, so some water flowing through the rocks.. And then maybe something reminiscent of the ocean along the sides. I really love the ocean..

• Options
    Hays:
    alienmisprint:
    Hays:
    alienmisprint:

What I want to do along the bottom is have a large collection of stones spread out, and then in each stone is going to have the birth date of members of my family and important people in my life. What just occurred to me yesterday was that I think I want this to look like a pond or something, so some water flowing through the rocks.. And then maybe something reminiscent of the ocean along the sides. I really love the ocean..
    That really sounds more like something you would need to have sketched out from a body tracing. I could draw some rocks and water, but it would just look like rocks and water until it was placed correctly on your back.

cabinetmaker:
    Very nice work there, Tony! Nice station too. It might be worth a trip trere for some ink, i think....

You know you are welcome. If you do decide to road trip it, you can even crash at my place for the evening, we have an extra bedroom. That goes for anyone on the forums here, get a tattoo and a place to stay,meal, and cigar are on the house, lol.

Renaissance_Man:
    alienmisprint:

Gene's idea sounds pretty good, depending on the area of the body you want the piece. And yes, definately contact the artist. Do your research on artists in your area or driving distance. Find one or two whose work really impresses you and call about a consultation appointment. Most artists are going to want to meet you in person to talk about the design ideas and all first, so don't be afraid to call ahead of time and set up a meeting.
  • Options
    gmill880:
    Renaissance_Man:
    alienmisprint:

How about a cross made of golf clubs with his birth and death dates under it. His initials in an arc above the clubs cross and the image (which would represent you) of a man kneiling to the side and facing the cross with a cigar in his mouth/hand ....I'm probably not describing that very well but it looks cool in my mind ...
    Wow! This actually IS a great idea!!! Hm... Gives me some food for thought... I need to figure out the place where I want it on then... I guess should probably be somewhere on my back or arms... Def.. not legs...

Alien - how do I find out artists and all the info you said? Also, I am in the process of weight and muscle gain. Will that affect in any way how the tat looks? Should I wait for the gain first? I have 5-10 more pounds until im satisfied with my weight and then just gotta bump the biceps a bit... But I guess the back should be a safe zone for tattooing... Sorry for asking all these questions...
  • Options
    Renaissance_Man:
    Alien - how do I find out artists and all the info you said? Also, I am in the process of weight and muscle gain. Will that affect in any way how the tat looks? Should I wait for the gain first? I have 5-10 more pounds until im satisfied with my weight and then just gotta bump the biceps a bit... But I guess the back should be a safe zone for tattooing... Sorry for asking all these questions...
    As far as weight gian, 5-10 pounds is really not significant enough to worry about altering your tattoo. The only way size difference would come into play would be if resulted in a dramatic difference in skin area, like when a skinny woman gets pregnant, or a very obese person loses 100+ pounds. Increasing your biceps by an inch or two isn't going to really affect the tattoo.

For placement, I suggest just being open to the artist. Placement plays a big part in how the tattoo is designed. You ultimately want a design that flows with and accentuates whatever area of the body you are putting it on.

And for artists, I don't know how to do links on here, so copy and paste some of these:

http://www.hopegallerytattoo.com/
    http://www.divinemachinetattoo.com/cory_gallery.htm
    http://www.darkimages.com/
    http://www.offthemaptattoo.com/

Corey Cudney is one of my favorite artists, definately give him a look. You can also do an artist search on the Off the Map Tattoo website, they host a ton of artists from around the country.
  • Options
    alienmisprint:
    Renaissance_Man:
    As far as weight gian, 5-10 pounds is really not significant enough to worry about altering your tattoo. The only way size difference would come into play would be if resulted in a dramatic difference in skin area, like when a skinny woman gets pregnant, or a very obese person loses 100+ pounds. Increasing your biceps by an inch or two isn't going to really affect the tattoo.

For placement, I suggest just being open to the artist. Placement plays a big part in how the tattoo is designed. You ultimately want a design that flows with and accentuates whatever area of the body you are putting it on.

And for artists, I don't know how to do links on here, so copy and paste some of these:

http://www.hopegallerytattoo.com/
    http://www.divinemachinetattoo.com/cory_gallery.htm
    http://www.darkimages.com/
    http://www.offthemaptattoo.com/

Corey Cudney is one of my favorite artists, definately give him a look. You can also do an artist search on the Off the Map Tattoo website, they host a ton of artists from around the country.
    Thanks bro! Awesome advice! And this guy, Corey, he is awesome man! WOW! He is like a damn laser printer - such accuracy and detail and lifelike qualities in the reproductions! Damn...
  • Options
    kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    Dude thats totally awesome ...... your boy Corey Cudney works like 5 miles from my home ...... i have a real good friend that did my tat and a few for my wifey ...... i'll have to link him to you