Home General Discussion
Options

Silver Humidor on Ebay....

clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
What do you guys think about this thing? I'd have no idea on how to tell if it's real or not. If it's pure silver and the current rate of silver is about $16.00 per ounce, that's $256 per pound, then it would only have to weigh 3.9 lbs to be worth it's weight in silver. So what do you guys think?

1800's Silver Humidor on Ebay

Comments

• Options
    TheShaunTheShaun Posts: 425
    would have been nice to see pics of the inside.
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    clearlysuspect:
    What do you guys think about this thing? I'd have no idea on how to tell if it's real or not. If it's pure silver and the current rate of silver is about $16.00 per ounce, that's $256 per pound, then it would only have to weigh 3.9 lbs to be worth it's weight in silver. So what do you guys think?

1800's Silver Humidor on Ebay
    I don't know... I would be wary if I were about to buy the ark of the covenant.

If Indiana Jones has taught me anything it's that whenever you go to get your cigars, SHUT YOUR EYES!
  • Options
    Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    Couple of things bug me about it:

1. The guy's description is in all caps and it feels like he is yelling at me. Unless it's Billy Mays screaming at me, I get a bit leary of some guy trying to scam me.
    2.If its so rare, why does it have a serial number on the bottom?
    3.Where's the appraisal, certificate of authenticity or documents to prove what it is?
    4.Why isn't there a pic of the inside, they guy seems to not know what it actually is and sounds like he just googled wood lined metal box and saw humidor as his first hit. We all know that Spanish Cedar has a distinct smell, if he had any cigar experience, he wouldn't be so tentative in calling it a humi.
    5. Looking at his profile, he doesn't sell much stuff, all his feedback is from sellers saying he pays quickly.
    6. His other listings are from estate sales, one being a "14kt" gold bracelet that he is selling for 35$
    7. He's telling me to do my homework, like that one sirdanb guy. Maybe he does acid with him.

I'd call BS on it, but that's my 2 cents.
  • Options
    Garen B:
    Couple of things bug me about it:

1. The guy's description is in all caps and it feels like he is yelling at me. Unless it's Billy Mays screaming at me, I get a bit leary of some guy trying to scam me.
    2.If its so rare, why does it have a serial number on the bottom?
    3.Where's the appraisal, certificate of authenticity or documents to prove what it is?
    4.Why isn't there a pic of the inside, they guy seems to not know what it actually is and sounds like he just googled wood lined metal box and saw humidor as his first hit. We all know that Spanish Cedar has a distinct smell, if he had any cigar experience, he wouldn't be so tentative in calling it a humi.
    5. Looking at his profile, he doesn't sell much stuff, all his feedback is from sellers saying he pays quickly.
    6. His other listings are from estate sales, one being a "14kt" gold bracelet that he is selling for 35$
    7. He's telling me to do my homework, like that one sirdanb guy. Maybe he does acid with him.

Im going to have to agree. If he was so adamant about it being a humidor why are there not pictures of the inside? And the whole 14kt 35$ bracelet is a bit shady. dont do it man if you're willing to spend a thousand bucks on a humidor get one that you can see when you buy it and have the peace of mind knowing that it was made to store cigars.
  • Options
    Renaissance_ManRenaissance_Man Posts: 973 ✭✭
    Garen B:
    He's telling me to do my homework, like that one sirdanb guy. Maybe he does acid with him.

This is just so funny and true! lol
  • Options
    zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    Not to mention that the famous auction house is Sothebys, not Sotherbys, which pretty much says that he's never done business with them.
  • Options
    Renaissance_ManRenaissance_Man Posts: 973 ✭✭
    I looked at it closer - the person who posted it is definitely not an English speaker... Either this or he/she is an IDIOT... This is BULL and makes me angry! I wish eBay posted the addresses of sellers so I can go and beat the sh*t out of idiots like this... Or maybe its real ;)..
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Did you notice the dimensions ...thats a lotta money to try to use that as a hunidor. What could it hold ...maybe 12-18 sticks tops !!!
  • Options
    Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    I'm calling bs as well. No way I spend that much money on something that give so little information. The lack of info tells me these guys are pulling a scam.
  • Options
    Archangel32G:
    dont do it man if you're willing to spend a thousand bucks on a humidor get one that you can see when you buy it and have the peace of mind knowing that it was made to store cigars.
    Oh don't worry! I can't get my wife to let me spend $26 on the MoW Daily Deal, let alone buy a $1000 humidor. I just thought it was interesting and figured I'd open a discussion on it. That would be cool though to have a relic silver humidor from some ancient king or someone like that! Were there even cigars in the early 1800's?
  • Options
    Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    clearlysuspect:
    Archangel32G:
    dont do it man if you're willing to spend a thousand bucks on a humidor get one that you can see when you buy it and have the peace of mind knowing that it was made to store cigars.
    Oh don't worry! I can't get my wife to let me spend $26 on the MoW Daily Deal, let alone buy a $1000 humidor. I just thought it was interesting and figured I'd open a discussion on it. That would be cool though to have a relic silver humidor from some ancient king or someone like that! Were there even cigars in the early 1800's?
    I believe cigars were around. It would be pretty cool to have an antique humidor of some type.
  • Options
    bigbgballzbigbgballz Posts: 283
    For that much money you can get a a nice cabinet that can fit 100 times more this one can.. Just my 2 cents.
  • Options
    bigbgballz:
    For that much money you can get a a nice cabinet that can fit 100 times more this one can.. Just my 2 cents.
    From a financial standpoint, assuming the box is authentic and the owner can provide proof that it is, in 20 years this box will be worth 10 times it's current weight in silver where your cabinet humidor might be worth twice as much, if it hasn't depreciated.
  • Options
    True that. I was just day dreaming ,imagining a big ol cabinet sitting im my house full of cigars :)
  • Options
    bigbgballz:
    True that. I was just day dreaming ,imagining a big ol cabinet sitting im my house full of cigars :)
    Screw that! I'm building the underground wine cellar! It's gonna be half wine cellar, half cigar humidor! The entrance is gonna be hidden behind a bookshelf built into the wall!
  • Options
    clearlysuspect:
    bigbgballz:
    Screw that! I'm building the underground wine cellar! It's gonna be half wine cellar, half cigar humidor! The entrance is gonna be hidden behind a bookshelf built into the wall!
    Now you are talking. LOL. That will be a dream a come through. Except that i have to blast like 10 ft of Caliche.