Home General Discussion
Options

Bitter bob Padron last night..

I've been a Padron fan for years... mainly the '64 exclusivo, but been bedding down a 3000 for awhile now (2 months). I have 2 different humidors... both have good cigars in each with one humidor housing 3 Drew estates cigars...all javas for hope they will make their way into my others, kind of my own fusion technique.

Well, the Padron was in the humidor without the Java's along with a cheap camerooon wrapper La Vieja Habana. My wife and I lit em both up for some comparison, and at first light up I gave the Padron the bitter bob face and kept it until I finally chucked it in the fire after 30 minutes. It got a little better, but to make a long story short (or a little longer) I went and got a 5 vegas classic and salvaged my night.

My question. Do you think the humidor had anything to do with this...as none of my other cigars have acted this way, or maybe they have?... the LVH kind of tasted this way right away too, but blew away the Padron and that shouldn't happen.

Comments

• Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    24footjet:
    I've been a Padron fan for years... mainly the '64 exclusivo, but been bedding down a 3000 for awhile now (2 months). I have 2 different humidors... both have good cigars in each with one humidor housing 3 Drew estates cigars...all javas for hope they will make their way into my others, kind of my own fusion technique. Well, the Padron was in the humidor without the Java's along with a cheap camerooon wrapper La Vieja Habana. My wife and I lit em both up for some comparison, and at first light up I gave the Padron the bitter bob face and kept it until I finally chucked it in the fire after 30 minutes. It got a little better, but to make a long story short (or a little longer) I went and got a 5 vegas classic and salvaged my night. My question. Do you think the humidor had anything to do with this...as none of my other cigars have acted this way, or maybe they have?... the LVH kind of tasted this way right away too, but blew away the Padron and that shouldn't happen.
    I've had the same thing happen to a cigar at the end, just got REALLY sour and bitter...

If the humidor is around the 70/70 rule then I'd say it's not the humi's fault.

To transfer any flavors or characteristics from one cigar to another would take a WHOLE lot of time so it's prolly just a bad stick
  • Options
    ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    I have probably had, in total over the last year and a half, 25-30 '64's and every one of them was spot on. like Lasabar said though, it takes a while for the sticks to mess with each other. I guess what I am saying is, I agree with Lasabar that it was a, very rare, poor padron
  • Options
    Thanks guys. Forgot to mention I had a humicare gel type humidifier hooked to the side of this particular humidor and it leaked something fierce and has stained the bottom with it's glycol or whatever it is. I have since changed to heartfelt beads, about 2 months ago, but the stain is still there. Cause for alarm or not? I reserve this portion of the humidor for the beads and nothing else... but I think it may be worth noting.

Same here, I have never had a bad 1964 Padron, but this 3000 tasted really, really, bitter and bad. You are right, I think I'll chalk it up to a bad Padron...didn't think bad and Padron could be used in the same sentence though!

But still confused at the LVH right at the beginning also being a little bitter. I will have another today and see what my taster says, maybe it was all the peach cobbler I had for dessert!
  • Options
    ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    24footjet:
    didn't think bad and Padron could be used in the same sentence though!
    That last post was the first time the two words have ever even been in my head together, and hopefully the last. After around maybe 50 Padron's total I have never been let down by any of them. the '64 is by far my favorite stick I have ever had. Good luck with resolving the mystery of the hidden bitter-monster!