Home General Discussion
Options

Installing an exhaust fan in the garage today

WaltBasilWaltBasil Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
Someone else here recently posted pics of his exhaust fan he installed. I had been thinking of it, but he motivated me to take my wish to the next level and do it. I found this Broan 470CMF wall mountable exhaust fan on amazon for about $90.

Instead of the wall, I'm going to mount it in the ceiling. At first, I'll let it blow into the attic area above the garage. If that happens to allow any stink into the house, I'll add some ducting to it and let it outside instead. I always go for the easy way out first. ;-)

So far, I've put the hole in the ceiling and built a small frame for it to fit into on the attic side.

Will keep updating as I go along.

Comments

• Options
    CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    I did this in my study where I have an interior wall to the outside..measured the rectangle of the fan...made my cut and I have a nice plug in on the outside or I can use the inside plug...3 speeds and weather stripped it...takes the offensive smoke outside and I can finally smoke in my study. http://www.amazon.com/Lasko-2155A-Electrically-Reversible-Window/dp/B00002N5Z9/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1387154420&sr=8-4&keywords=exhaust+fan I put this beside my desk where this a floor planter that pretty much hides it...on the low setting it works perfect and in the summertime you can use it to cool off the room as well. You can use it in a window setting but I wanted something permanent and didn't want where everybody can see it. For the price...you can't beat this.
  • Options
    OK... got most of it done today. All that remains is to mount the junction box hiding/protecting where I tapped into the existing power lines up there. Running off the same breaker as the garage door opener.

Cut the hole...

Built a frame for mounting...

Installed fan into frame...

A little sealant between fan and the hole...

The grill covers all that nastiness up...

• Options
    Poker_SlobPoker_Slob Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice Walt. Happy smoking to you.
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice job Walt that is way Kewl and glad you have a nice place to be :)
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    RCY_CigarsRCY_Cigars Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭
    Okay Walt, I'm now encouraged and motivated to finish my project. Good stuff there, are you going to use any kind of odor killer?
  • Options
    RCY Cigars:
    Okay Walt, I'm now encouraged and motivated to finish my project. Good stuff there, are you going to use any kind of odor killer?
    I wasn't planning on it. It's just my garage. Already can smell like gas and exhaust from my lawnmower and bike. ;-)

I/we used it in full force last night. Worked great. I had a San Miguel, wife had some Marlboro special blends. I kept the door to the house propped open an inch (fan kept trying to suck it closed) and that worked really good. No smell entered the house.
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WaltBasil:
    I/we used it in full force last night. Worked great. I had a San Miguel, wife had some Marlboro special blends. I kept the door to the house propped open an inch (fan kept trying to suck it closed) and that worked really good. No smell entered the house.
    Awesome. Nice to hear that it works good for you.
    And lookin' good on the install as well...

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice job. I have one in the wall in my cellar and it works great. I love cigars, but 18 degrees out right now. Nice to be able to smoke indoors
  • Options
    dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    Very Very Cool Walt! I need to do the same, me and the Ol'lady tend to just Hot Box the garage something fierce.

Aj
  • Options
    ehehatehehat Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭
    Way to go man, very cool
  • Options
    perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    Nice! wish I had the skills to do the job that neatly, and, well, a garage to do that in. :)
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are a man of many talents....and like I said before, I own a hammer and I know how to use it.
  • Options
    MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    That looks like a good plan. The whirly birds or turtle vents on your house should get rid of the air you force into the roof. Since the smokey air usually floats higher than the other air most should leave the roof in short order.

Two words I forgot on the fan - Remote Control
  • Options
    ehehatehehat Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭
    Forgot to ask: Is that venting to the outside or just into the attic/crawlspace? I didn't see any ducting....
  • Options
    ehehat:
    Forgot to ask: Is that venting to the outside or just into the attic/crawlspace? I didn't see any ducting....
    Just into the attic. Plenty of vent holes in the attic on both ends, plus under the eaves. I was prepared to built a duct if needed. Turns out I didn't.
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Marlboros?
  • Options
    Bigshizza:
    Marlboros?
    The wife's? Yes. ;-)
  • Options
    WaltBasil:
    Bigshizza:
    Marlboros?
    The wife's? Yes. ;-)

maybe you can talk her into trying cigars too..... now that would be a bitchen mini herf!

Aj
  • Options
    dr_frankenstein56:
    WaltBasil:
    Bigshizza:
    Marlboros?
    The wife's? Yes. ;-)

maybe you can talk her into trying cigars too..... now that would be a bitchen mini herf!

Aj
    It would be better for her. More healthy. Because she tends to chain smoke every night for the length of my smoke. haha.
  • Options
    So does mine... and after seeing a half a pack get burned through it starts making me want one.... i say we go on a crusade to convince them to drop the cancer stick and join us in the fun! Id gladly spring for the adult beverages!

Aj
  • Options
    dr_frankenstein56:
    So does mine... and after seeing a half a pack get burned through it starts making me want one.... i say we go on a crusade to convince them to drop the cancer stick and join us in the fun! Id gladly spring for the adult beverages!

Aj
    My place? I'll cook... My kick ass fajitas... or award winning chili... you choose. I'm off the week of December 30- Jan 4th. The 30th we'll be going to the Sun Bowl.
  • Options
    I like your style man, sounds like a plan, I will see what days will work out!