Home General Discussion
Options

Need help...Detroit Hand Made Cigar

I have a cigar box that I cannot find any info on. Nothing shows online. It's pretty old. Wood box. Reads: Detroit Hand Made Cigar. Mazer Cigar Mfg Co. Makers. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Hmm, can you post a picture? Photobucket is the easiest route, IMHO.
  • Options
    blutattooblutattoo Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    miniangel:
    I have a cigar box that I cannot find any info on. Nothing shows online. It's pretty old. Wood box. Reads: Detroit Hand Made Cigar. Mazer Cigar Mfg Co. Makers. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    Found this online - 1933 J. Mazer cigar firm established in Detroit. Found the info here:

http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthread.php?15985-Detroit-Cigar-Mfg-Co-History
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies. I was going to post a picture but didn't see anywhere to attach on here. I will do so tomorrow when I can get on my laptop. I did see that link you posted but I can't find any boxes that resemble the one I have.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭

"detroit hand made" refers to the fact that it was hand made in detroit and that could mean that it pedates 1919 when the first totally machine made or automated cigar machines made it to the US

"Mazer Cigar Mfg Co." is the name of the factory that produced cigars such as Humar that was based out of detroit and ohio. if i am not mistaken this is a cigar/tobacco company from almost cival war era.
    though tobacco was more popular to grow in the south, the civil war made it more popular in north for a good period of time. (some of that is still going on with cigarette tobacco, but a few places still grow for cigars, such as connecticut and wisconson.) because of detroits location it was actually a major hub of tobaco production and distribution for many years. this area was also one of the firs major production industries to be unionized. the Union mark is the shown with the word "Makers."

this union was made up of mostly of german and polish women who were the rollers of the cigars.

many other brands were in the area... a short list may include but are not limited to:
    San Telmo Cigar
    Tegge Cigar Co
    American Cigar
    Mazer Cigar Factory
    Bagley Tobacco
    Cadillac Cigar Box
    Detroit Snuff Co
    General Cigar Co
    Michigan Cigar Box
    Webster Cigar
    Ritter Cigar Box

the box has little value. depending on condition anywhere from $1 - $45
    the brand is not very long lived and most cigar manufacturing in the US moved to the West Virginia and PA area after the the development of cigar making machines.

• Options
    jgkaminjgkamin Posts: 110 ✭✭
    kuzi16:

"detroit hand made" refers to the fact that it was hand made in detroit and that could mean that it pedates 1919 when the first totally machine made or automated cigar machines made it to the US

Wouldn't the part of the name "hand made" be more of an indication it came later, once machines started popping up? They wouldn't need to specify they were hand made if that's all you have at the time.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    JGKAMIN:
    kuzi16:

Wouldn't the part of the name "hand made" be more of an indication it came later, once machines started popping up? They wouldn't need to specify they were hand made if that's all you have at the time.
    maybe.
    the only issue is that after machines were made the business in detroit fell off. it is a good point and it could very well be from the short time period after the machines came into existence but before the factories closed.

its really hard to tell because there were so many of these little cigar companies that showed up and made very few cigars that it is hard to learn about many of them. none of them were huge names and none of them lasted very long. info on most of them is limited at best.

• Options
    ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    miniangel:
    Ok, here are some pictures: imageimageimage
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ?Mild and fragrant". Damm. Wish we could still get some of these. Anyone has a line on some good American cigars, let me know.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)