Home General Discussion
Options

Help me spend some $$$

I'm prepping to place my first C.com order and am looking to keep it in the $60 range. Looking for brand/variety samplers I guess since I'm pretty new to the hobby and want to get a good taste of what's out there.

So, Help me spend $60ish. What do you think is a good combo of sticks to go for considering I'm a rookie.

Comments

• Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I would go for a Padilla sampler, or a 5 vegas sampler...

IF you want bang for buck then go with the C.Com house label samplers
  • Options
    TheShaunTheShaun Posts: 425
    So far I think the 90 rated double stack is on my list. http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?prod=SP-CIG9010 but I can be swayed.
  • Options
    GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    My vote would be for the grab bag sampler and the medium bodied sampler. I ordered the medium bodied sampler when I was getting into cigars and I came away with 2 that are in my top 5 of all time. That said, I dont know if the sticks shown are the ones you get, they are different than the ones I got.
  • Options
    Sol1821Sol1821 Posts: 707 ✭✭

http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?prod=SP-CIGASST3

but wait for a good deal of the day and grab 2 of them with free shipping.

the monties in that sampler are amazing!

• Options
    bibbybibby Posts: 152
    I was going down the same path as Goldy there with the medium bodied sampler. Also found these:

Padilla Variety Sampler (lassy mentioned this one)
    Staff selections Toro Sampler
    5 Vegas Triple Nickel Sampler
    CAO 5 x 2 Sampler

Good luck, and enjoy!
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    TheShaun:
    I'm prepping to place my first C.com order and am looking to keep it in the $60 range. Looking for brand/variety samplers I guess since I'm pretty new to the hobby and want to get a good taste of what's out there.

So, Help me spend $60ish. What do you think is a good combo of sticks to go for considering I'm a rookie.
    Shaun did you get my PM this morning?
    You should definately get in on those Man O' Wars from the daily deal today. They rock!!! and at that price they are a STEAL.
    For some very tasty bargain sticks try the C.Com House Blends (Brazilian are popular) or the Sol Cubano Series B's, they are also a great bargain.
    We can still do a split if you want also, but if you are just looking to get some sticks for that new humi you can't go wrong with a few of each of those.
  • Options
    Laker, got it and replied. Thanks.
  • Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Well let's see..I could use some heartfelt beads, and maybe a bigger humidor...?

O wait, you were thinking for you? I personally have been checking out the ccom atomic samplers, the first of which is $80..more than you were looking for I know, but as I'm trying to expand my own tasting it seems like a good deal. A buddy and I are going for the biggest atomic sampler ($200) and splitting it... you may consider that too if you have a buddy that may split the Atomic #2...just a thought.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    My suggestion would be to take 30 bucks and join ccoms cigar of the month club, and then take the other 30 and get the medium or mild selection sampler depending on your preference.
  • Options
    Russ55:
    My suggestion would be to take 30 bucks and join ccoms cigar of the month club, and then take the other 30 and get the medium or mild selection sampler depending on your preference.
    I was going to do that. $60 would be on top of that.
  • Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    All great suggestions so far.

My favorite "bang for your buck" sampler that I've bought recently is the 5 Vegas sampler - 20 cigars for $40 is ridiculous, especially considering how great the 5 Vegas line is. It comes with 5 Golds, 5 Classics, 5 Miamis and 5 Series As. The Series As are a stronger cigar for the new cigar smoker, but if you've gotten through a bunch of the others, you'll do just fine. :)

Lots of other great suggestions here.
  • Options
    Leaning toward the 90 rated double stack, 5 vegas sampler (5 sticks), and a single A. Fernandez, bringing me in at just over $60.
  • Options
    If it were me I would go with the DPG top 15 sampler or the 5 vegas sampler of new releases.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    TheShaun:
    Leaning toward the 90 rated double stack, 5 vegas sampler (5 sticks), and a single A. Fernandez, bringing me in at just over $60.
    Do you have a Humi already?
  • Options
    undulacundulac Posts: 1,129
    TatuajeVI:

My favorite "bang for your buck" sampler that I've bought recently is the 5 Vegas sampler - 20 cigars for $40 is ridiculous, especially considering how great the 5 Vegas line is. It comes with 5 Golds, 5 Classics, 5 Miamis and 5 Series As. The Series As are a stronger cigar for the new cigar smoker, but if you've gotten through a bunch of the others, you'll do just fine. :)

Where did you see that deal? That's a great price. Looked around and couldn't find it.
  • Options
    bibbybibby Posts: 152
    Just poking through all the samplers and the only 5 Vegas with the gold, classic, A, and Miami was the "dream team sampler". It was listed at $59.99, still a good deal but not as good as $40. I can be found off of the variety sampler menu.
  • Options
    rad1964rad1964 Posts: 190 ✭✭
    Here are my suggestions for a $60 cigar-spree:

PRICE NAME NUMBER OF CIGARS
    $15.95 Cigar.com Mixed Sampler 7
    $9.00 Padilla Miami Robusto 1
    $22.95 Arturo Fuente Perfexcion No. 5 1
    $3.88 Sancho Panza Double Maduro La Mancha 1
    $4.76 Rocky Patel Vintage 1992 Petite Corona 1
    $4.58 Arturo Fuente Cameroon Petit Corona 1

TOTAL $61.12

Please take these options with a grain of salt as I am a newbie also.

• Options
    vankleekkwvankleekkw Posts: 404
    For me, the Opus #5 is not worth $23.00. It is around an hour smoke, being it is a PC.
  • Options
    rad1964rad1964 Posts: 190 ✭✭
    vankleekkw:
    For me, the Opus #5 is not worth $23.00. It is around an hour smoke, being it is a PC.
    I can understand that. But coming from a novice, I really can't smoke for an hour straight, let alone 2 hours. Which is why my poor lil' humidor is starting to collect the larger sticks. Since I haven't really been to a party or an outing like camping that I can just sit and smoke for a few hours. I have so far re-lit every cigar I have smoked a second time. Noting that I may get a harsher flavor from the re-lite.

My goal one day is to be able to smoke a whole OpusX "A" (9.2 x 47) at one sitting without passing out. :)

• Options
    vankleekkwvankleekkw Posts: 404
    If you want to minimize the harshness, cut off the cherry of the cigar by about 1/2" past the ash line. Then blow out into the cigar a couple times to evacuate whatever smoke is left inside the stick. This will not eliminate, but will reduce it drastically.

I am not suggesting not getting into Petite Coronas, as they are one of my favorite sizes. Just save the Opus for a day where you can enjoy one that would justify the money.
  • Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    undulac:
    TatuajeVI:

Where did you see that deal? That's a great price. Looked around and couldn't find it.

It was a flyer that came with one of my orders. If you ask Jeff Jackson about it, he'll find it for you. A friend of mine just ordered one Friday, he just asked for Jeff. 

After letting them rest a few weeks, I just tried the Miami and the Series A. Oh man, I have to order another sampler. For $2 a stick, I cannot think of anything even close. So good.