Home Cigar 101

Novice to storing in humidor

I recently purchase a small humidor. Once I have the humidor seasoned and ready for the cigars do I remove the cellophane wrappers before placing in the box?

Comments

• EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your choice. Some people prefer to take them off, others like myself leaves them on. If you are like me and tend to dig through your humidor to find the stick you want they will be safer in their wrappers. Others will undoubtedly disagree with me but that's okay too...
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome, kinda new here myself. It is a great place.

You bought a small humidor..? Snicker snicker...
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pay no attention to the snickering Santa.

He just knows that we all seem to get ahead of ourselves and need a bigger humidor long before we ever thought we'd need more storage.

Welcome to the cigar.com forums. (Best cigar forum.)

I would recommend that you leave the cellophane on simply because It protects the cigar "wrapper" (outer layer of tobacco) from damage.

I would also recommend a couple of Boveda humidity packets for your small humidor because it would be a very easy, simple and precise way for you to keep proper humidity. They come in specific humidity ratings. I would get one at 69% and one at 65% and the two packets together will keep your small humidor at about 67% relative humidity. This is just my advice and personal preference but that's what I think would be easiest for a new cigar enthusiast.

If you have any more questions please feel free to ask. All the guys here are very helpful.
  • New_BootsNew_Boots Posts: 2,651 ✭✭
    First off, welcome to the forums!

Secondly, I am also of the mindset of leaving them in the cello. I too dig through my humi to find what I want at the time. I started off as a "out of the cello" guy. That is, until I put a small tear in one of my sticks. Needless to say, that was the one I smoked that day. I didn't do any real damage, but I did learn that something as simple as leaving the cello on can prevent that from happening again, or prevent me from turning a great stick into trash just because I wasn't careful enough.

These forums are amazing, enjoy your time here....and uh, look into a bigger humidor. Just, you know, for shiggles!

OH! Head over to the newbie threads
    Here
    And Here
  • CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    Good advice you have already read I'm sure....get used to the idea of getting a bigger humidor next time...it's just the way it is. Cello is good and does help protect your cigars...I keep them on mine if they come that way and what I do is cut off both ends of the cello so that only the ends are exposed which allows the humidified air to at least get to it. Cello is permeable so that does give us a reasonable expectation that there won't be any worries for mold.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    I've always kept the cello on for reasons already stated. In fact, if I obtain them without cello, I place them in cello I've saved from previous cigars. That's how much I try to protect my cigars from handling damage.
  • PAtoNHPAtoNH Posts: 429
    I've always removed cello in the past but I tend to buy by the bundle or box and like them to "meld/breath" in the Spanish cedar of the humi together. I'm getting over this but with reluctance.