Home Non Cigar Related
Options

The Police State

webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
Sorry, Libs --- I tried CBS, CNN, etc., but the Fox you hate was the first source I googled on this story which gave much detail. The others just blow a few emotional bullets then echo the White House disinformation campaign.

This lady brought her children's nanny from the homeland and paid her 30,000 rupees a month; which turns out to be less than NY minimum wage. Does a crime of that character require strip searches, much less uniformed functionaries with blue gloves and wooden expressions fumbling round inside her **** and ****? What are they afraid of? Exactly what is the threat here?

Is it merely a co-incidence, you think, that this consul is a knockout? Who is reviewing that strip search footage?

Is it also a coincidence that the NY prosecutor chosen to spout the official excuses in this case just happens to be named Preet Bharara? Our Indian trumps their Indian.

For that matter, is it a co-incidence, you think, that they followed and waited until she dropped off her children at school to arrest her there and spook the nanny, so that her children would be stranded?

But wait. Let's take the diplomatic immunity angle out of the story for a moment. What if she were American? Let's say Sue Williams hired a Dominican nanny and paid her what a cigar roller makes in the DR? Would that then justify strip searches and digital rape fore and aft?

As an odd side note: JP Morgan Chase, bailed out in 2008 to the tune of mega billions, subsequently secured the contract to manage EBT cards (I'm sure I must be leaving out a co-incidental contribution to the DNC there somewhere). Chase out-sources EBT telephone support to India. This nanny could return home, work fourteen hours a day, at half her wages here, doing US government work and no one would be cavity searched

There ain't enough tinfoil for all the hats in play here.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

Comments

• Options
    New_BootsNew_Boots Posts: 2,651 ✭✭
    Ah, the good 'ol USA. Give one illegal a house, welfare, and a job. "Rape" another one with the legal system.
  • Options
    VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    Im trying to read between the bitter and angry partisan political jargon here to get to the point r the idea to discuss which I think is the treatment of the woman in question? I dont know anything about how she looks, as Indian women are not attrative to me generally speaking, but I do agree it was over the top. This said, if it would have been some weak pat down and she had some type of illlegal things on her or posed some secrity risk---then it wouldve been an issue of being soft on crime. Not sure there is a way to please everyone in any situation anymore.
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    The children part is interesting. One of the bits of most of the major dystopian novels that most people tend to overlook (I did for a long time, what with all the more prominant spying and new languages and strict laws) is that it starts with the breakdown of the family, forcibly by the state. In Brave New World people were grown so there was no family. In Farenheit 451 there was a surrogate parlor family that was common to all. Scariest of all in 1984 children were snitches for Big Brother.

It seems as long as there is family it's difficult to completely buy in to these totalitarian governments completely, because you always have two sets of loyalties. Break the family down and they're the only game in town. You'd die for your family, right? Defend it even if it might be wrong? Yup.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    On the other hand:

1) There is more than underpayment here, there were false documents and visa fraud. That could heighten suspicions.

2) To riff off another thread...how stupid are we if we believe this provoked India's reaction? F*ckery is afoot here, we did something else to them.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is not the only case of out-of-control-police-state-shennanigans. NPR has some kind of link up on their website requesting personal histories of American citizens who are being routinely harrassed by Homeland Security agents when returning to the U.S. after being out of the country. They're putting people, including small children born in the U.S. into "cold" rooms for up to 6 hours at a time. Separating family members, sometimes also in "cold" rooms and misinforming them as to the status of what's going on with their spouses, etc.

These people,and NPR, have attempted to find out what the rules are, if any, and what can be done about it. Even to the point of contacting their elected representatives, who seem to be tone deaf on this issue.

So far, the official position seems to be that Homeland Security can do what they want, when they want, to whomever they want, and there are no repercussions whatsoever, there is no one to whom one may officially address a complaint, and there is no one willing to state aloud or in writing any official guidelines.

There will be those, of course who want to "Blame Obama", who certainly shares in the blame, but this all started with the so-called PATRIOT Act, so, I personally feel obliged to

BLAME CHENEY.

(pre-emptive strike against the potential arguement "Just blame Bush")
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
    ..... and the kid who drove drunk and high and killed 4 people get off with just probation..... go figure
  • Options
    Ken Light:
    On the other hand:

1) There is more than underpayment here, there were false documents and visa fraud. That could heighten suspicions.

Falsified docs? What a terrible violent crime!

On the other hand: Name me one mortgage robo-signer who got handcuffed, strip searched, and a blue glove shoved up his azz.

One.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jadelt:
    ..... and the kid who drove drunk and high and killed 4 people get off with just probation..... go figure

AMEN
  • Options
    VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    webmost:
    Ken Light:
    On the other hand:

Falsified docs? What a terrible violent crime!

On the other hand: Name me one mortgage robo-signer who got handcuffed, strip searched, and a blue glove shoved up his azz.

One.

Getting away from your original post and attempt to make a point by deflecting the reason the rest of us are trying to use.
  • Options
    Ken Light:
    The children part is interesting. One of the bits of most of the major dystopian novels that most people tend to overlook (I did for a long time, what with all the more prominant spying and new languages and strict laws) is that it starts with the breakdown of the family, forcibly by the state. In Brave New World people were grown so there was no family. In Farenheit 451 there was a surrogate parlor family that was common to all. Scariest of all in 1984 children were snitches for Big Brother.

It seems as long as there is family it's difficult to completely buy in to these totalitarian governments completely, because you always have two sets of loyalties. Break the family down and they're the only game in town. You'd die for your family, right? Defend it even if it might be wrong? Yup.
    I think this is an important point. Sometimes I ask young people their opinions about these books and their messages. Far more often than not, I'm met with a blank stare. They don't have a clue as to what I'm talking about. Think maybe there's a reason for that? Uh-huh.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    Ken Light:
    On the other hand:

2) To riff off another thread...how stupid are we if we believe this provoked India's reaction? F*ckery is afoot here, we did something else to them.
    Also good points. There are thousands of proven instances in the last century when we (the people) were told some nonsense to justify some outrage the government had committed, or was planning to commit shortly.

• Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At the risk of sounding a little thin-skinned, I just bleeping love it when people who have never done the job, are critical of those who do. Do the police make mistakes, hell yes!, but as I've said before, we hire from the human race and sometimes the person doesn't fit the badge.

However, if you consider the hundred of thousands police/citizen contacts every day that go absolutely fine, the number of screw ups are extremely small. In the digital age, we just happen to see them more.

In this particular case, the police waited and arrested her after she left her children so as not to embarrass her more. There were a number of things going on here in addition to underpaying her help. One thing I can tell you for sure, if you put someone in a cell, you better make damn sure that person has nothing on them that can cause harm.

Many moons ago, before our department had female officers, we had matrons. If we arrested a female, a cop went and picked up the matron at her home and she came in and searched the prisoner. Male cops do not strip search female prisoners! In one case, a female was put in a cell and a matron was brought in. By the time the matron got to the cell, the prisoner was almost dead from sedatives she had hidden on her person, and she had been checked every 15 minutes. This is why you search someone before you put them in a cell!

The decision to put someone in a cell rests with each department. It may have to do with when a judge is available, distance to the court, possibility of bail, etc.

Sorry about the rant, but walk in our shoes sometimes and see what the job is really like, before you start throwing stones.

• Options
    YankeeMan:
    At the risk of sounding a little thin-skinned, I just bleeping love it when people who have never done the job, are critical of those who do. Do the police make mistakes, hell yes!, but as I've said before, we hire from the human race and sometimes the person doesn't fit the badge.

However, if you consider the hundred of thousands police/citizen contacts every day that go absolutely fine, the number of screw ups are extremely small. In the digital age, we just happen to see them more.

In this particular case, the police waited and arrested her after she left her children so as not to embarrass her more. There were a number of things going on here in addition to underpaying her help. One thing I can tell you for sure, if you put someone in a cell, you better make damn sure that person has nothing on them that can cause harm.

Many moons ago, before our department had female officers, we had matrons. If we arrested a female, a cop went and picked up the matron at her home and she came in and searched the prisoner. Male cops do not strip search female prisoners! In one case, a female was put in a cell and a matron was brought in. By the time the matron got to the cell, the prisoner was almost dead from sedatives she had hidden on her person, and she had been checked every 15 minutes. This is why you search someone before you put them in a cell!

The decision to put someone in a cell rests with each department. It may have to do with when a judge is available, distance to the court, possibility of bail, etc.

Sorry about the rant, but walk in our shoes sometimes and see what the job is really like, before you start throwing stones.

I feel you. As a nurse, nearly everyone I meet thinks they know my job better than I do, and very few have a clue. I hope none of my remarks have offended you, and I don't think that anyone here is blaming policemen in general, that would be as stupid as blaming the soldiers who served in Vietnam for the atrocities perpetrated by their superiors. Even at its most horrible, most were simply following orders, and under extreme duress.

I think the sore spot here is the decision to make an arrest in the first place, to place this person in a cell seems out of context with the crime comitted. Wouldn't it have made more sense to serve a summons? This absolutely could have been handled with tact and discretion, rather than heavy-handed brute force where none was apparently needed.

• Options
    YankeeMan:

For heaven's sake, don't apologize for ranting. I firmly believe in it. I don't for the life of me see how truth can be ascertained by timid half measures. A person ought to state their best possible case as strongly as they can.

But don't you see how your post aptly typifies the problem itself? First, you start out feeling you ought to be beyond public scrutiny. Then you take the rarest most extreme example imaginable and use that to excuse draconian treatment applied to everyone across the board regardless of circumstance. Motive is no excuse. Good motive is no excuse. The road to hell is paved with good intentions. Meaning well is no excuse.

Even if we were to accept the odious proposition that the end justifies the means, then: What should be our end? Should it be safeguarding individual liberty and respect for human rights? Or ought it be unmitigated risk aversion?

because...

• Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    webmost:
    YankeeMan:

For heaven's sake, don't apologize for ranting. I firmly believe in it. I don't for the life of me see how truth can be ascertained by timid half measures. A person ought to state their best possible case as strongly as they can.

But don't you see how your post aptly typifies the problem itself? First, you start out feeling you ought to be beyond public scrutiny. Then you take the rarest most extreme example imaginable and use that to excuse draconian treatment applied to everyone across the board regardless of circumstance. Motive is no excuse. Good motive is no excuse. The road to hell is paved with good intentions. Meaning well is no excuse.

Even if we were to accept the odious proposition that the end justifies the means, then: What should be our end? Should it be safeguarding individual liberty and respect for human rights? Or ought it be unmitigated risk aversion?

because...
    I understand your position, but on the other side, if something happens because we did not take precautions, then it's how stupid can the cops be, they never checked, they should have known, yada, yada, yada.

I'm retired now, but I have 30 years experience in police work, ten years as chief. You have to plan for the worst and hope for the best, and expect to get sued no matter what happens. We do our best and if a cop screws up, s/he should not be protected or go without scrutiny, however, cops are entitled to the same due process rights as everyone else. You don't give up your rights when you pin the badge on.

• Options
    perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    YankeeMan:
    webmost:
    YankeeMan:

because...
    I understand your position, but on the other side, if something happens because we did not take precautions, then it's how stupid can the cops be, they never checked, they should have known, yada, yada, yada.

I'm retired now, but I have 30 years experience in police work, ten years as chief. You have to plan for the worst and hope for the best, and expect to get sued no matter what happens. We do our best and if a cop screws up, s/he should not be protected or go without scrutiny, however, cops are entitled to the same due process rights as everyone else. You don't give up your rights when you pin the badge on.

This is another excellent example of the no-win situation that many of the citizenry love to put public officials in. Had they simply sent her a summons or cited and released many many people would have been screaming about the special treatment given a foreigner, she hired an illegal she should pay! But when she's arrested, and as stated earlier provided the courtesy of not having it done in front of her children nor was she hand cuffed, and treated the same as any other common citizen would have been it's "police state! police state!" I don't necessarily know the procedures used in that detention facility but in most places a "strip search" does NOT equate to the full body cavity search that the previous posts have stated. It may have in this case, but the coverage I have read did not indicate that. It is done for prisoner and staff safety and it is the same thing every prisoner went through. if you question its need, suit up and spend a week or two in a detention facility so you have an informed opinion. And please, calling it "oh no, document fraud is all it was," tell me, what is illegal immigration itself but document fraud? The ONLY physical thing that separates a citizen from a foreigner is some form of document that says where you belong.

The the comment about the mortgage robo-signers is entirely irrelevant, that was a legal method for achieving a businesses goals, there was no reason for them to be subject to this sort of thing. If you want to try an accurate comparison ask if Bernie Madoff was subjected to this sort of search. I can guarantee you he was.
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really hate to get into politics on this forum but I am very confused about this whole topic.

India is well known for treating women like property, so why are they soooo upset...?
    I understand the need for strip searching in a lot of cases, but I don't understand this one.
    People in/from that part of the world are notorious for miss-treating employees/nannies. This one got caught, good. When I was president of my condo in N VA I called the authorities twice for the very same reason. So why the uproar that she was arrested..?
    There is some other dynamic working here. Does it have something to do with the fact that the cop in charge is Indian..?
    And why was diplomatic immunity (which I have never agreed with) ignored..?
    There is definitely something else going on here, and the removal of the barriers in front of the Embassy in India was a blatant smack in the face, besides being really stupid.
  • Options
    perkinke:
    YankeeMan:
    webmost:
    YankeeMan:

because...

This is another excellent example of the no-win situation that many of the citizenry love to put public officials in. Had they simply sent her a summons or cited and released many many people would have been screaming about the special treatment given a foreigner, she hired an illegal she should pay! But when she's arrested, and as stated earlier provided the courtesy of not having it done in front of her children nor was she hand cuffed, and treated the same as any other common citizen would have been it's "police state! police state!" I don't necessarily know the procedures used in that detention facility but in most places a "strip search" does NOT equate to the full body cavity search that the previous posts have stated. It may have in this case, but the coverage I have read did not indicate that. It is done for prisoner and staff safety and it is the same thing every prisoner went through. if you question its need, suit up and spend a week or two in a detention facility so you have an informed opinion. And please, calling it "oh no, document fraud is all it was," tell me, what is illegal immigration itself but document fraud? The ONLY physical thing that separates a citizen from a foreigner is some form of document that says where you belong.

The the comment about the mortgage robo-signers is entirely irrelevant, that was a legal method for achieving a businesses goals, there was no reason for them to be subject to this sort of thing. If you want to try an accurate comparison ask if Bernie Madoff was subjected to this sort of search. I can guarantee you he was.
    What you appear to fail to realize is that those are not the same people, and you should not blame one for the actions of the other. No one person has created this no-win situation. The people whose hindsight is always 20/20 are @$$holes, plain and simple. But you can't hold that against those with the foresight to see where this sort of cover-your-@$$ BS is going.
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From what I understand of it.
    It would all depend on whether the person had "diplomatic immunity" or "consular immunity".
    Consular immunity only provides protection against infractions directly related to their consulate functions.

Either way, they should have been under the laws and regulations of their originating country, according to the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations.

Right, wrong or indifferent, the local authorities should have immediately contacted that countries consulate and they should have been represented by that consulate, no matter what the crime was.

I hate to say it, but it sounds like this person was not given representation of any kind.
    I may have misread it.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    PAtoNHPAtoNH Posts: 429