Home General Discussion
Options

Sore Throat

Over the past few days my throat has been sore and has been getting worse and worse with every day. It was getting so bad last night I wasn't able to finish my cigar.
Anyone have a home remedy they could recommend? I really want to be able to enjoy a smoke Christmas morning or at the very latest New Years Eve.

Comments

• Options
    No_one21No_one21 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭
    curtiscr79:
    Over the past few days my throat has been sore and has been getting worse and worse with every day. It was getting so bad last night I wasn't able to finish my cigar.
    Anyone have a home remedy they could recommend? I really want to be able to enjoy a smoke Christmas morning or at the very latest New Years Eve.
    Having just researched this last week, the best answers seem to be anything that coats your throat and soothes it. The coating is most important. My favorite remedy that seemed to give me an hour or 2 during my worst sore throats is a tablespoon of honey and lemon juice. Make sure it goes down your throat together. Otherwise, gargling warm salt water can do wonders as well.
  • Options
    curtiscr79curtiscr79 Posts: 859
    No_one21:
    curtiscr79:
    Having just researched this last week, the best answers seem to be anything that coats your throat and soothes it. The coating is most important. My favorite remedy that seemed to give me an hour or 2 during my worst sore throats is a tablespoon of honey and lemon juice. Make sure it goes down your throat together. Otherwise, gargling warm salt water can do wonders as well.
    Thanks man, I'm drinking a Hot Toddy now to see what that does. I really hope I can recover soon. I am just starting a 2 week vacation and really wanted to spend most if it with a cigar in my hand.
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    curtiscr79:

Our recipe is a bit different.
    A shot of Southern Comfort
    Tablespoon of honey
    ! squeezed lemon
    Mix and drink slowly, let it kinda slide down your throat. Repeat often.

If you are coming down with what ripped through here a couple of months ago prepare for the long hall and every symptom you have ever had. It just goes on and on. Mine lasted 8 weeks.
  • Options
    curtiscr79:

Gargle often with salt water.

Good Vodka and hot sauce.
  • Options
    jd50ae:
    curtiscr79:

Tablespoon of honey
    ! squeezed lemon

If you are coming down with what ripped through here a couple of months ago prepare for the long hall and every symptom you have ever had. It just goes on and on. Mine lasted 8 weeks.
    I really hope it doesn't last 8 weeks. I have so many great cigars to smoke.
  • Options
    jd50ae:
    curtiscr79:

Tell me more about this Vodka and hot sauce. You have my attention.
  • Options
    Glock1975Glock1975 Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    curtiscr79:
    jd50ae:
    curtiscr79:

Tablespoon of honey
    ! squeezed lemon

I really hope it doesn't last 8 weeks. I have so many great cigars to smoke.
    If that doesnt work, u really should b tested for strep just in case.Its going around alot
  • Options
    curtiscr79:
    jd50ae:
    curtiscr79:

Tell me more about this Vodka and hot sauce. You have my attention.

Vodka and as much hot sauce as you feel like, I prefer Texas Pete but any middle of the spectrum hot sauce will do. I don't know how much it helped but after the 4th or 5th you stop caring.

Hot sauce is a great germ killer, all kidding aside, I have actually treated it like a prescription and had a teaspoon every hour when I have had a sore throat or a queasy stomach.
  • Options
    I like your style, being on the vodka and hot sauce!
  • Options
    CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    Sore throats and cigars do not mix....the smoke irritates the lining of your throat and then inflames it. The reason it gets inflamed is to counter the effects of the irritant so until you stop with the smoking your throat will being to heal. Sometimes we just gottta bite the bullet and heal. My Dads Hot Toddy recipe that I used to drink even when I was a kid still works today: Cup of your favorite tea 1 ounce of lemon juice 2 jiggers of whiskey ( knob creek or similar ) 1 ounce of pure honey Mix with 6 ounces of water w/tea.....heat and steep tea bag in mix for a good minute and drink HOT... This will help you sleep and will help heal the lining of your throat. If after a few days of taking this that it isn't healing then see your Dr......
  • Options
    Poker_SlobPoker_Slob Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with Ray, go to the dr. Sounds like strep to me.
  • Options
    Cigary:
    Sore throats and cigars do not mix....the smoke irritates the lining of your throat and then inflames it. The reason it gets inflamed is to counter the effects of the irritant so until you stop with the smoking your throat will being to heal. Sometimes we just gottta bite the bullet and heal. My Dads Hot Toddy recipe that I used to drink even when I was a kid still works today: Cup of your favorite tea 1 ounce of lemon juice 2 jiggers of whiskey ( knob creek or similar ) 1 ounce of pure honey Mix with 6 ounces of water w/tea.....heat and steep tea bag in mix for a good minute and drink HOT... This will help you sleep and will help heal the lining of your throat. If after a few days of taking this that it isn't healing then see your Dr......
    Just finished another hot toddy. Didn't get to do the vodka and hot sauce yet. I'm taking a break from cigars for a few days. I'm going to see if it can heal enough to smoke on Christmas. My fingers are crossed. If I'm not better on Christmas, I will head to the doctor's the day after because I will really be bummed if I can't enjoy a stick on my birthday (New Years Eve).
  • Options
    EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cigary:
    +1. This is almost my recipe except that I use hot water instead of tea.
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • Options
    CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    Echambers:
    Cigary:
    He gave us the tea as kids so it would be tasty enough to drink and these days with so many types of flavor profiles Hot Toddies are what keep me from getting colds...have not had one in 10 years because of this stuff. It's like the Airborne except this is a home remedy that if I feel my throat getting a bit scratchy I drink a 16 ounces cup of this recipe w/bigelow vanilla and caramel tea....wow!!!! This is like dessert and I sleep like a baby all night and the next day my throat feels great.
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    curtiscr79:
    Curtis, yer prolly just watching too much football. Got the irrelevant Falcons tonight playing the Niners far away on the left coast. Not much to shout about there. Avoid cheering at the Beef 'O' Brady's Bowl and the Poulan Weed Eater Independence Bowl and the San Diego County Credit Union Poinsettia Bowl and their ilk. Just cut back on your shouting at the toob and you'll be fine.

Until next Sunday, that is. Sunday Night. The big showdown at Jerry's World. Guaranteed hoarse on Monday.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    Just got back from urgent care. They did a strep test, it came back negative. Should be on the road to recovery and back on my feet in time for my birthday.
  • Options
    twistedstemtwistedstem Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    gladto hear that brother nonone wants to be sick over the holidays
    no matter where you go, there you are.

• Options
    EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cigary:
    Echambers:
    Cigary:
    He gave us the tea as kids so it would be tasty enough to drink and these days with so many types of flavor profiles Hot Toddies are what keep me from getting colds...have not had one in 10 years because of this stuff. It's like the Airborne except this is a home remedy that if I feel my throat getting a bit scratchy I drink a 16 ounces cup of this recipe w/bigelow vanilla and caramel tea....wow!!!! This is like dessert and I sleep like a baby all night and the next day my throat feels great.
    I'll give the tea a try next time. Does sound good. Especially the vanilla caramel tea.
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • Options
    Echambers:
    Cigary:
    Echambers:
    Cigary:
    I'll give the tea a try next time. Does sound good. Especially the vanilla caramel tea.
    The tea was really helping, I was just worried I my be contagious and will be around the elderly for the holidays. I didn't want to spread it.