Home Cigar 101
Options

Valuing a humidor

Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
Recently acquired two large humidors from a local smoke shop that was closing. One is a Montecristo trunk-style with copper plating on top and front with the embossed Montecristo logo. Searched the web and can't find it anywhere. Thinking of selling it, but have no idea how to price it. Any thoughts?
"When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon

Comments

• Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    If you can't find that exact one, look at similar sizes and price it that way.
  • Options
    I've got it posted on Craigslist, but really don't know if I'm asking too much, too little, or what.
    Here's a link to the ad, if anyone has seen this model and can let me know what it's worth.
    http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/for/4240581559.html
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • Options
    ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    Puff_Dougie:
    Here are a few pics in case anyone has seen this model...
  • Options
    Chuck_NChuck_N Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭
    Dang nice humi.
  • Options
    Chuck N:
    Dang nice humi.

Thanks Chuck!
    It really is a beauty... won't break my heart to hang onto it and fill it up. But if I can get a good price for it, I've got two others that I'm actually using. Any thoughts on where I ought to price it?
  • Options
    I'd just hang on to it for a while.Hang around here for a while, get to know people and do some trades. Then maybe someone here would be more likely to buy it.You could list it here, but since most people don't know, I doubt anyone would buy it. Also, if you do list it here...don't put an actual price in the post. Do something like "PM for price".
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice, Rain.

I'm really trying to just get an idea of what the fair market value is. Not trying to sell it here. Thought maybe someone on the forum might be familiar with the model and clue me in to what it's worth.

Totally enjoying this forum so far! Very friendly and knowledgeable folk!

• Options
    Chuck_NChuck_N Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭
    The pictures dont show the condition of the inside bottom of the humidor. Considering its in good shape Id say its worth somewhere in the 150 -200. range? Hard to say, if you look at ebay there are thousands of humidors listed.
  • Options
    Chuck N:
    The pictures dont show the condition of the inside bottom of the humidor. Considering its in good shape Id say its worth somewhere in the 150 -200. range? Hard to say, if you look at ebay there are thousands of humidors listed.

Thanks! That's pretty much what I was thinking too.
  • Options
    PAtoNHPAtoNH Posts: 429
    I second the ebay suggestion… also, is it mdf or solid wood? Most of the cheapies (including the one I recently bought) are cedar veneered mdf. I'm not thrilled about this because of the use of formaldehyde resins in manufacturing mdf.
  • Options
    mdf?
  • Options
    PAtoNHPAtoNH Posts: 429
    mdf = medium-density fiberboard, a kind of particle board… http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medium-density_fibreboard
  • Options
    PAtoNH:
    mdf = medium-density fiberboard, a kind of particle board… http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medium-density_fibreboard

Gotcha! Thanks! No mdf... it's all solid wood.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Puff_Dougie:
    PAtoNH:

Gotcha! Thanks! No mdf... it's all solid wood.
    i would put that a bit more if it is all solid wood. id put that in the $250-300 range. new it was probably a very expensive humidor. used is a bit harder to keep the price up.
  • Options
    Thanks, Matt. It was owned by a beer distributor with a cigar shop in the back. Never sold to an individual, but it looks like they kept some sticks in it. I would describe the condition as "like new."

I appreciate the help with getting a bead on the value. I'm in no hurry to unload it, and may actually end up keeping it. Now that I've found the Cigar.com site and forum, I may just need it to house my sure-to-be-growing collection! :^)
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Maybe this is you, but I found on on ebay

Also found This site but it's not helpful for a price. It does give it a name and a subsequent search found this ebay listing that failed to sell this time and a subsequent time. But the shipping estimate was over 100 bucks, so maybe that was the problem rather than the price.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    Oof, just found This
  • Options
    Wow! That's awesome, Ken! You dug up way more info than I had been able to find. It was definitely a dealer exclusive item, and it seems to have come in two versions. The one link you found is a bigger model (250 count) with an arched lid. Mine is slightly smaller (150 count) with a flat lid. Thanks for the great info!
  • Options
    Puff_Dougie:
    Wow! That's awesome, Ken! You dug up way more info than I had been able to find. It was definitely a dealer exclusive item, and it seems to have come in two versions. The one link you found is a bigger model (250 count) with an arched lid. Mine is slightly smaller (150 count) with a flat lid. Thanks for the great info!
    Out of nowhere I thought to put "chest" into my search and I think that made all the difference in finding info. Dumb luck, really.
  • Options
    Just the same, I really appreciate the effort. Seems like a good opportunity to jump into the spirit of BOTL. Would you be kind enough to PM your addy so I can drop a "thank you" package in the mail?
  • Options
    BTW... had the humi listed on ebay and it just sold today. Mixed feelings on that. Was kinda hoping it wouldn't go so I could have an excuse to buy more sticks!
  • Options
    bearbbearb Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭
    Chuck N:
    Quite an accurate guess Chuck! 162.50 was the final ebay price. Think the proxy bidder would have gone more, but there was little competition for it. Still not a bad price for it either way.
  • Options
    And... it's off to the buyer, encased in multiple layers of bubble wrap. Teared up just a little. Hope it's going to a good home.
  • Options
    Puff_Dougie:
    Just the same, I really appreciate the effort. Seems like a good opportunity to jump into the spirit of BOTL. Would you be kind enough to PM your addy so I can drop a "thank you" package in the mail?
    You're a funny man.
  • Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    Ken Light:
    Puff_Dougie:
    You're a funny man.
    Hey Ken, you haven't moved since September, have you? Doug, I think I can help you out..... :)
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    SleevePlz:
    Ken Light:
    Puff_Dougie:
    You're a funny man.
    Hey Ken, you haven't moved since September, have you? Doug, I think I can help you out..... :)
    The secret santa pass blew me several doors down from where I was in september. I'm not even sure which direction.
  • Options
    EPILOGUE:

Received word of the arrival of the humi at the buyer today... damaged in shipping by the USPS!!!! Unbelievable!! It was such a beautiful humidor! Now we have to file a claim through the insurance that I put on the package! Makes me sick.
  • Options
    Puff_Dougie:
    EPILOGUE:

Received word of the arrival of the humi at the buyer today... damaged in shipping by the USPS!!!! Unbelievable!! It was such a beautiful humidor! Now we have to file a claim through the insurance that I put on the package! Makes me sick.
    Oh, that's terrible to hear! It really was a cool looking box!! At least you thought to get insurance
  • Options
    I think most of my Habanos smoke better at about 62-63%, so I keep them there in a seperate humidor. Aging would be the same. https://www.cubancigarsbest.com/index.php/cohiba-robustos.html
  • Options
    Jayyvtcjdelr:
    I think most of my Habanos smoke better at about 62-63%, so I keep them there in a seperate humidor. Aging would be the same.
    That's it....I'm calling The Sheriff.