Home Cigar 101

Temperature Question

My humidor is sitting on top of table against a interior wall out of direct sunlight and in the coolest room in my house. The problem I"m having is the temperature. The humidity is at 68-71% but the temperature lately has been in the mid 70's.

What can I do to keep the temp down?

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Well you can start by not worrying about it too much. A temp in the mid 70's is totally fine and 99.9% of the time will not lead to anything bad. When your temp starts to hit 80 degrees, then worry a little. Seriously though, your cigars will be fine as long as you keep the temp below 80 and keep your humidity in check.
  • Thanks j0z3r
  • Sol1821Sol1821 Posts: 707 ✭✭

You could always invest in a cooler. Not as astatically pleasing but will give you peace of mind.

i spent 2 weeks with temperatures pushing 80 and all i did was worry about my cigars to the point where id wake in the night and have to check them because id had a dream about beetles lol

• GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    Whats the lower end of the cigar temp scale? Will they be fine at 60?
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I don't see any reason why that would hurt the cigars Goldy. The only think it might do is slow the aging process, but it won't ruin your cigars.
  • JZJZ Posts: 827
    Goldy:
    When you start getting lower in temperature the air is typically drier. You will need to be careful that your sticks are not drying out. I think it will be hard for you to maintain 65 to 70% RH with temperatures near 60 or less.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Goldy:
    I've had mine at 66-63*F and they are smoking just fine
  • GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    Thanks guys, in the winter my temps are in the low 60's with rh around 65 and I just wanted to make sure that wouldnt cause any issues.
  • Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    I'm bringing this back from the dead to ask a similar question. I have been working on my basement for 2+ years and am nearing completion. When I get a chance I will post pics in another section. I have put in a built in wine closet where the temps stay between 55-60 deg. Can I store my cigar humidors inside the wine room? Will that be too cold for the cigars and humidity?
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    you can. but as stated before it will be harder to maintain RH.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,986 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And it will slow down the aging process from what I've read.
  • So I'm assuming my 66% humidity and 65 degrees is fine? Little worried about the humidity being too low
    66 RH is fine. Most people around here like it between 65-68.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suggest you read up on tobacco beetles. At temps of 70 or below, they don't move around looking for mates. At 71 or above, they can. Just sayin'......

jlmarta:
    I suggest you read up on tobacco beetles. At temps of 70 or below, they don't move around looking for mates. At 71 or above, they can. Just sayin'......

yeah don't want those nasty little nightmares.